Marta Suárez commits to Lady Vols

Y'all can pile on if you want but I hadn't heard of her until today either. Two thoughts:

1. Kellie has an opening now and believes Suarez gives her a big physical guard that can shoot and play the role Kellie envisions for her.

2. Excellent, excellent security. No one knew this was going to occur. Makes me wonder who else may be a silent commit.

At about 2:30 of this clip, she hits a string of 3 pointers and some stop and pop 3 pointers. It looks like she could be an inside to outside player, a bit like Sid Spencer back in the day.

She can bang in the low post and hit from outside. If so, she might be the Mimi Collins replacement.
found some stats from last year fiba
temp.png
This is a little more telling...

You riled up the blue hair, blind optimism mafia today. Good luck!

1487698418-ezgifcom-video-to-gif-9.gif

At about 2:30 of this clip, she hits a string of 3 pointers and some stop and pop 3 pointers. It looks like she could be an inside to outside player, a bit like Sid Spencer back in the day.

She can bang in the low post and hit from outside. If so, she might be the Mimi Collins replacement.
She has a far better handle than Collins JMO and seems to have a lot more shooting range. I think she was recruited as a 2-3 and will play most of her minutes as backup to Davis at the three. I'm looking for Burrell to get the start at the two and she may get some time in for her as well. I like the roster more than last years already. I think we still need a point guard and sure that the coaches know that. I don't think they want to go with Salary or Darby as the backup and need that experienced one year player for that position if they can find her. I can see us still adding one more player and believe it would be a grad transfer senior totally for the point.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Contrary to the typical pile-on from my fan club, I'm not "trashing" anyone. Like I said, I don't know anything about her, other than she will be a true freshman. Since Jaz left, Kellie still hasn't addressed the team's biggest need... an experienced VETERAN point guard.

Probably a little too soon to expect a replacement for Massengale, but yeah, that is a priority.

It is tough to be analytical on a board that is mainly of the "rah-rah, look at my exquisite set of feelings and pretend they matter most" sort, so let's just ignore all of that crap.

This girl looks fine to me. The question will be the same for her as for most international players, how is her defense? A lot will depend on how quick she is, and how hard she works. If nothing else it shows that even if Kellie is getting stoned in recruiting the elite players she is at least thinking outside of the box and beating all the bushes.

She is definitely a 2-3 type player but she has a good handle and can dribble coast to coast. She looks quite able to come in and give players Davis and Burrell a rest and not hurt the team much at all. She looks versatile enough to even play inside some at the four. She is definitely an upgrade over most of the players we had on the bench last season I think all three freshmen are. I'm fine with every position now starters and backups except the point guard position. Right now it is Horston and then you use a freshman like Salary or Darby and neither played point guard in high school although both are excellent ball handlers and excellent passers.

Its really hard to analyze a player based on one highlight video against what is clearly an overmatch team.

But that doesn’t stop us!

Reactions: vettefool
Y'all can pile on if you want but I hadn't heard of her until today either. Two thoughts:

1. Kellie has an opening now and believes Suarez gives her a big physical guard that can shoot and play the role Kellie envisions for her.

2. Excellent, excellent security. No one knew this was going to occur. Makes me wonder who else may be a silent commit.

Exactly! Kellie is gradually picking up secret commits.

Contrary to the typical pile-on from my fan club, I'm not "trashing" anyone. Like I said, I don't know anything about her, other than she will be a true freshman. Since Jaz left, Kellie still hasn't addressed the team's biggest need... an experienced VETERAN point guard.

We're here congratulating a new commit and ur busy posting that Kellie needs to address why Jaz left. Who are u?

Its really hard to analyze a player based on one highlight video against what is clearly an overmatch team.

But that doesn’t stop us!

A fair point but also consider this. A player does not just "sign" as an inexplicable random event. It is not like Kellie is opening up this website and going "oh gee, a new player just signed to play for me. I wonder how that happened? I sure hope she can play, though!."

I think the safer assumption is that Kellie and her staff have actively scouted and recruited her. I am sure they have seen a lot more film than casual fans have access to via youtube.

It also seems a safe assumption the Kellie and staff would also have a vested interest in recruiting players they believe 1) will fit the team's style of play; 2) can fill roster needs.

Given those conditions, it is reasonable to use the limited youtube vids to induce what skills attracted the coaching staff to this player and what needs this player might be able to fill.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back