Mark Wiedmer smells something burning in the kitchen...

Can't help but wonder who the head coach continues to trot out to play QB has something to do with that.

I guess the head coach can't be bothered to read the barometer on his team.

I'd be pretty disgruntled too if I were on the team and kept seeing Guarantano trotted out.

I guess the head coach can't be bothered to read the barometer on his team.
I'm sure he can read the barometer on his own team, but you also can't coach purely based on whether or not the rest of the team likes something or not.

Having said that, there's absolutely no reason for JG ever to take another snap at Tennessee. Last year, at least you could plausibly claim (as I did) that while JG isn't a great player, he would play poorly when he was victimized by poor offensive line play, no running game, etc., and when he had those things he could be a serviceable player.

You can't really claim that anymore. I feel really bad for him because it isn't any sort of physical or athletic limitation that causes this; he just doesn't have it between the ears. He's one of the physically toughest QBs I've ever seen play the position, but he might be one of the most mentally fragile.

Reactions: feathersax
If that is the case, the fact UT hasn’t brought in a SEC QB in three years is squarely on CJP. Not good.

Picked up a rumor somewhere that Weinke was heavily criticized for his failure to develop Goff as a Ram's quarterback. Rumors, as most of us know, are many times not true, but looking at the quarterback situation at Tennessee and the lack of development makes one wonder about Weinke and about Pruitt's seeming lack of oversight with respect to the quarterback situation. With Bailey on board and Salter coming in maybe better quarterbacking days are ahead, but someone needs to take and indepth look at Weinke. I'm not suggesting we fire him yet, but someone needs to really look at his ability to develop quarterbacks.

I'm sure he can read the barometer on his own team, but you also can't coach purely based on whether or not the rest of the team likes something or not.

Having said that, there's absolutely no reason for JG ever to take another snap at Tennessee. Last year, at least you could plausibly claim (as I did) that while JG isn't a great player, he would play poorly when he was victimized by poor offensive line play, no running game, etc., and when he had those things he could be a serviceable player.

You can't really claim that anymore. I feel really bad for him because it isn't any sort of physical or athletic limitation that causes this; he just doesn't have it between the ears. He's one of the physically toughest QBs I've ever seen play the position, but he might be one of the most mentally fragile.

No ....but you can coach based on one player costing the team over and over and over again.

I've been lenient on slamming JG on here but Saturday was the last straw for me. I feel for the kid but enough is enough.

Pruitt isn't doing anyone any good if he keeps trotting him out from the team to the fans to Guarantano himself.

You have two great coaches on this staff. One is an offensive guru. The other is a defensive guru... and the HC. The defensive guru is dictating who the offensive guru invests in and then plays... then calls him out for a play call that was 100% the fault of the player he's forcing onto the offensive guru.

There's a crack. The only guy who can repair it is Pruitt... and it requires him to be humble enough to admit he's been very, very wrong.

No ....but you can coach based on one player costing the team over and over and over again.

I've been lenient on slamming JG on here but Saturday was the last straw for me. I feel for the kid but enough is enough.

Pruitt isn't doing anyone any good if he keeps trotting him out from the team to the fans to Guarantano himself.
I think Saturday was the last straw for everyone as far as fans go. I'm honestly not entirely sure if it was the last straw for Pruitt, which is unbelievable.

The difference between this year's team and last year's team is that other position groups have improved enough to where JG is just directly costing the team games. That wasn't the case last year, except for maybe the BYU loss.

Reactions: kcvols1
I think Saturday was the last straw for everyone as far as fans go. I'm honestly not entirely sure if it was the last straw for Pruitt, which is unbelievable.

The difference between this year's team and last year's team is that other position groups have improved enough to where JG is just directly costing the team games. That wasn't the case last year, except for maybe the BYU loss.

Pruitt isn't helping himself with the Brumbaugh decision or his press conference today either.

No, it's Chaney too...Look at some of the designed plays Bama and Georgia have run tonight on offense isolating a WR against a LB...We have speed at WR that we have not used hardly at all...
Because we can't effectively use them BECAUSE of who is our starting QB, Because Pruitt keeps putting him out there on purpose regardless of what he does...

Yes. It really IS Pruitt.

You have two great coaches on this staff. One is an offensive guru. The other is a defensive guru... and the HC. The defensive guru is dictating who the offensive guru invests in and then plays... then calls him out for a play call that was 100% the fault of the player he's forcing onto the offensive guru.

There's a crack. The only guy who can repair it is Pruitt... and it requires him to be humble enough to admit he's been very, very wrong.

Unless...this is what he's wanted the whole time?

Anyone can see this is ALL Pruitt's fault and not by default.
It's directly his fault...

Exactly.

Imagine what this has done to Gaurantano psychologically. He keeps messing up, knows he's not good enough yet keeps being put out there anyway. He was soooooo much better playing off the bench.

This is the same type of stuff we were hearing when we lost to Georgia state, then we almost beat bama and went on an 8 game win streak. Remember, this team did beat usce who beat auburn today and killed mizzou who beat LSU. Went toe to toe with #3 Georgia for a half. We have a good team and the potential to win more games this year, just need a spark on offense.

It’s a long season. The jury is still out.

Pruitt has one notable win in 3 years - at Auburn in year 1. That’s it

I think it's a power struggle between Chaney and Pruitt. Pruitt wants JG as QB so Chaney is forced to call ultra conservative plays because JG sucks. Could be wrong though. The way Pruitt has held onto JG at QB shows he isn't comfortable with change and looking forward, so he'll be canned in a couple years.

Think the stupid extension is why alot of us are even downer.

No extension we have hope.

With extension we know hes here till atleast 2023 and then we go unproven coach rebuild again.

Honestly why should those of us who have cared and supported this team for decades keep supporting them when they clearly dont care about us?

I am fried.
The way I see it is this year is far from normal and Pruitt is getting players in recruiting it will atleast look better down the road but this team is held back by a QB a Tyler Bray or a Joshua Dobbs type makes the offense look better.

Reactions: preacherwebb
It’s been a long time since the Vols have been relevant. It doesn’t look like this is going to change any time soon. It’s sad considering our proud fanbase and history.
We haven't been nationally relevant since right before the SECCG in 2001....sure we had some great preseason rankings in the next few years after that, but the same kind of situation developed with many of those teams

Reactions: Tnphil
Pruitt has one notable win in 3 years - at Auburn in year 1. That’s it
Yep and 2 notable losses. Georgia st and this kentucky blowout which is worse than the ga st game here’s why. We finally thought we were back in position to beat the teams we’re supposed to beat, marked improvement during 8 game win streak, but now it’s like we’re back to exactly where we were and look worse now than we ever have with no hope of improvement. Jury is still out on the season, but right now it looks very dark just like it did last year when most predicted a 2-3 win season.

The way I see it is this year is far from normal and Pruitt is getting players in recruiting it will atleast look better down the road but this team is held back by a QB a Tyler Bray or a Joshua Dobbs type makes the offense look better.

I agree both Bray and Dobbs change the offense but we are dropping games under Pruitt like Ga State that should never happen.

He clearly needs someone to help him as he cant develop a QB, make changes on O on the fly, or develop an O line.

It’s been a long time since the Vols have been relevant. It doesn’t look like this is going to change any time soon. It’s sad considering our proud fanbase and history.

“History” is made in the present. I’m not sure how long we (as a fanbase) can cite what happened 20 years ago as relevant. This program is struggling.

I think it's a power struggle between Chaney and Pruitt. Pruitt wants JG as QB so Chaney is forced to call ultra conservative plays because JG sucks. Could be wrong though. The way Pruitt has held onto JG at QB shows he isn't comfortable with change and looking forward, so he'll be canned in a couple years.

Jim Chaney is an excellent OC. He’s been given a terrible QB to work with. What can he do? Unwinnable situation.

What’s mind boggling is how we’ve played since our goal line stand to end the first half vs Ga. We’ve played pretty good football for 2.5
games and crappy football for 1.5 games. I still think the defense overall has played well. They only gave up 20 points today. We should at least be able to score 21. Obviously QB play is what’s killing us.
True, to some extent, but the OL has been very disappointing. I think everyone who bleeds orange thought our OL could be dominant. They aren't. Against UGA, they weren't any better than Butch's OLs. Better OL play would have given JG a chance against UGA. I don't think anything would have helped him against UK. That was the worst UT QB performance I can ever remember. He's been given every chance to show improvement. It's time to move on.

Reactions: BDP!

VN Store

Back