Mark Stoops on “NIL Recruiting”

Stoops is second choice for NIL funds at Ky. I’d love it at a football school.

These coaches just need to shut up. Stoops, Saban, Dabo, all of them. They get paid the big boy bucks to run a team. You are on the state’s payroll and usually the highest paid state employee. So shut up and run your team to best of your abilities. If you don’t like it, then you can always retire.

These coaches just need to shut up. Stoops, Saban, Dabo, all of them. They get paid the big boy bucks to run a team. You are on the state’s payroll and usually the highest paid state employee. So shut up and run your team to best of your abilities. If you don’t like it, then you can always retire.
I have no doubt Saban will adjust…he simply prefers otherwise. This is more of the same like when he wanted no huddle offenses outlawed under the guise of “student athlete safety”…because he struggled against them. 😏 After that faceplanted, he hired the offensive minds who could utilize the elite athletes at ready disposal. The reason he’s extra non-plussed and extra sanctimonious on this latest hot button topic is that it affects his weighted advantage in that supply chain.

Suddenly the Kentucky football job doesn't seem so great.

I'm one of the few that thinks NIL improves college football. Not just that "it's better for the athletes"; that it actually makes college football better. One of the reasons some traditional powers have struggled is that the huge TV deals have essentially "redistributed" earnings to a lot of programs that didn't bring in as much money. Big beneficiaries are programs like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, TCU, Rutgers, etc; programs that have traditionally been weaker, but benefit from being in the same conference as power programs that bring in all the money.

NIL just reversed this trend. And that's good for college football.

We're a beneficiary of NIL, though, not the biggest one. I think Nebraska and Michigan are the biggest winners; power programs that have weak local / regional recruiting and have to get athletes from far away.

Can't blame him. The whole thing will be burned to the ground by 2030, for better or worse
So you think it’s possible to close Pandora’s box? I’m sure the NCAA would like that, but I don’t see it happening. There’s no going back, at least in my opinion.

So you think it’s possible to close Pandora’s box? I’m sure the NCAA would like that, but I don’t see it happening. There’s no going back, at least in my opinion.
No, the Rubicon's been crossed here. No idea where it ends up but I don't see it bearing much resemblence to what currently exists

Suddenly the Kentucky football job doesn't seem so great.

I'm one of the few that thinks NIL improves college football. Not just that "it's better for the athletes"; that it actually makes college football better. One of the reasons some traditional powers have struggled is that the huge TV deals have essentially "redistributed" earnings to a lot of programs that didn't bring in as much money. Big beneficiaries are programs like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, TCU, Rutgers, etc; programs that have traditionally been weaker, but benefit from being in the same conference as power programs that bring in all the money.

NIL just reversed this trend. And that's good for college football.

We're a beneficiary of NIL, though, not the biggest one. I think Nebraska and Michigan are the biggest winners; power programs that have weak local / regional recruiting and have to get athletes from far away.
Even with NIL, Nebraska is what they are now. They will never go back to being a perennial NC (playoff) contender.

Even with NIL, Nebraska is what they are now. They will never go back to being a perennial NC (playoff) contender.

I don't think they'll be a national title contender soon, but I could see NIL potentially making them the King of the Big 10 West. Iowa, Iowa State, and Wisconsin have overtaken their niche.

But the Big 10 will always feel like the most imbalanced conference to me. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan all have higher ceilings than every team in the West. And Michigan State's ceiling seems on par with Wisconsin.

Reactions: sjt18
I don't think they'll be a national title contender soon, but I could see NIL potentially making them the King of the Big 10 West. Iowa, Iowa State, and Wisconsin have overtaken their niche.

But the Big 10 will always feel like the most imbalanced conference to me. Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan all have higher ceilings than every team in the West. And Michigan State's ceiling seems on par with Wisconsin.
No one wants to go to Nebraska (I've been there), without A LOT MORE money that somewhere else. They basically need to be the Dodgers (or Yankees 10 years ago) to be relevant.

They should have never joined the Big 10

No one wants to go to Nebraska (I've been there), without A LOT MORE money that somewhere else. They basically need to be the Dodgers (or Yankees 10 years ago) to be relevant.

Yes, that was a mistake, but their expectations also need to adjust. Bo Pellini was either 9-4 or 10-4 in all 7 seasons. If they ever get back to consistently winning 9 or 10 games again, they need to be happy with it next time.

He realizes that even if UK manages to put an NIL program together... they'll spend the money on basketball, not football.

People underestimate how much money there is in Nebraska and Iowa because of Ag.

I've been to Nebraska and Iowa even more. To each their own. Good people. Nice, clean, low crime cities.

Distance is a factor for sure. They have to compete for the talent willing to be to far for family and friends to come watch. But Nebraska isn't a bad place to live. MUCH better than OK.

If they hadn't then they would be looking for a home now.

Either pay the money or don't, its not really that difficult to understand.

By the looks of Kroger Field, I can't imagine that there is a ton of NIL money floating around.

VN Store

Back