Marcus Raines

SmokeyVol

I like conebred
Southern Miss = 2nd Chance U

Why not give this scholarship to a more deserving kid. Someone with good grades and most of all some that didn't plea guilty to man slaughter. I can't understand why anyone would give him a full ride when there a plenty of walk-ons more deserving. I know people can learn from the mistakes but he kick a guy (Christopher O'Leary) in the head while he was lying on the ground defenseless. If they do not rethink this scholarship it shows you what type of program they run. Let the kid play but make him earn his degree by working while in college. Because Christopher O'Leary will never even get a chance to work for his degree! :furious3: :finger: :furious3:

Right or wrong? Answer will come from Raines

By Rick Cleveland
rcleveland@clarionledger.com

THE words in Wednesday's front page headline seem so stark, so startling: Felon says he will play for USM.

The story says Californian Marcus Raines, convicted three years ago of involuntary manslaughter, has visited Southern Miss and has agreed to play football there beginning this fall.

It sounds so wrong, so clearly wrong — but there it is, on the front page, in black and white. Only in Raines' case, there's so much gray.

Rick Cleveland
Raines, 17 at the time of the incident, served two years at a juvenile detention center and a year in state prison.

He has since played two years of junior college football. A former track star, he is a 6-foot-3-inch, 230-pound linebacker who can run like a tailback.

Details of his case are not at all sketchy. In fact, details are quite clear. A fight broke out at a high school party. A friend of Raines' hit another young man, an 18-year-old named Christopher O'Leary. O'Leary fell from the force of the blow and hit his head on concrete. Raines then kicked him in the head.

Three days later, O'Leary died.

Raines had been a good student with no criminal record before the incident. He apparently has been a model citizen since. He is remorseful, says he wants to get on with his life.

He thought he would do that at Kansas State, but K-State revoked its scholarship offer when Raines' past became public.

Enter USM.

Does anyone else feel my anger?

i dont understand how you could od something like that ...and then get the privladge of playin NCAA football.

Originally posted by Volsguy12@May 6, 2005 10:55 PM
i dont understand how you could od something like that ...and then get the privladge of playin NCAA football.

Yeah, but if you ski for the USA Olympic team and honor our country, the NCAA pulls your ability to play College Football.

There is something seriously wrong with that picture.

Originally posted by BeltwayVol+May 6, 2005 9:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BeltwayVol @ May 6, 2005 9:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Volsguy12@May 6, 2005 10:55 PM

Yeah, but if you ski for the USA Olympic team and honor our country, the NCAA pulls your ability to play College Football.

There is something seriously wrong with that picture. [/quote]
:clap: very great point. All the Ncaa cares about is winning and publicity to there sport. and if Marcus Raines does that, this is what happens. the Ncaa really needs to look at some of their rules, because some of it is rediclous.

VN Store

Back