Managing Our Expectations

Sunshine Pumpers expect gold, but if it turns out to be poop, find a way to be positive about it.

Nega-Vols expect poop, but if it turns out to be gold, find a way to disdain it (anything short of a national title; heck, they might find a way to cast disdain even then).

Most folks are stuck somewhere in between those two, hoping for good results and more than anything progress; being unhappy if it doesn't come about; but supporting our program no matter what.

I'd say we're managing our own expectations well enough already. More or less.

Go Vols!

A more ridiculous straw man has never been constructed.

Reactions: Unimane
I'm not sure one could find more than a handful of posts in the history of Volnation when the negavols football predictions were too pessimistic. More often than not, over the last decade, even the so-called negavols have been too optimistic.

I'm not sure one could find more than a handful of posts in the history of Volnation when the negavols football predictions were too pessimistic. More often than not, over the last decade, even the so-called negavols have been too optimistic.
Shhhhhh. You are going to upset the herd. I've decided to wait and see (I have no other choice). See what this staff can do. Hoping for the best but keeping my expectations low.

I certainly remember a lot of 2-8 (and even one 1-9) predictions after the Kentucky game this past season. Yes, a 1-9 prediction when we already had two Ws. I don't remember who said it, heh, but someone did.

I remember a lot of 2-10 predictions after the BYU game in 2019, too. Pretty common refrain for the Nega-Vols to declare "we won't win another game this year" after a rough patch.

Never underestimate the Nega-Vols' ability to go big.

p.s. You should look up "strawman" ... you didn't use the term correctly above. Cheers!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back