'22 MA WR Elic Ayomanor (Stanford commit)

There are A LOT more than 6. The recruiting sites simply don't find all of the good players. They don't. They can't. You shouldn't expect them to.
Now show the thousands that didn’t make it to the league

Not saying he’s gonna be bad. Hell physically he looks like a freak. But we won’t know that until we actually see him in a game. Perception is gonna show he’s just another guy until he proves it

Not saying he’s gonna be bad. Hell physically he looks like a freak. But we won’t know that until we actually see him in a game. Perception is gonna show he’s just another guy until he proves it
We won’t know about any commit until we see what they can do….. how many 4-5* have we signed here in the past several years that didn’t come close to sniffing the league….. I don’t give two flips about perception….. I want solid players.

Some background on Ayomanor and comments from Justin Dillon, who runs 730 Scouting and helps Canadian players get placed at schools in the U.S.

Elic Ayomanor didn’t disappoint when he entered his sophomore season at Peddie School in New Jersey. But midway through his first season in the U.S., he broke his collar bone, and then his head coach left the program. After transferring to a much better fit in Deerfield Academy in Massachusetts, COVID-19 wiped out Ayomanor’s junior season. This meant that after moving to the U.S., he’d played less than one season of football through two fall seasons.

...On the day of Notre Dame’s camp, Sunday, June 6, Dillon’s phone rang. It was Ayomanor with big news – the Fighting Irish had offered him a scholarship. “He just told me he didn't even get to do the whole (set of) drills and everything,” Dillon said. “They just pulled him aside...I think he ran his 40…I forget what he told me it was but it was something ridiculous. And then they made him do this one drill…(testing whether) he fights for the ball and (whether) he has good, strong hands. “He said, ‘Jay, I killed it.’ He said they said, ‘Okay, we're offering you.’"

...“I've told every coach, ‘This is probably the best receiver I've ever worked with.’ I say, ‘This guy might be one of the best to come out of Canada.’ And that's the Chase Claypools and a guy I've worked with Josh Palmer who was at Tennessee and just got drafted to the Chargers. “I say, ‘This young man, he's special.’ He's just got that it factor. And it's not just about football. It's about the maturity that he has. It's on a different level. He holds his standards very high.”

WR Elic Ayomanor: From Canadian Phenom to Notre Dame Recruit

You miss the point. If you use the draft as your measure which I think is somewhat legit... the recruiting services fail to find 6 great prospects for every four they find.... and over half of those they "find" turn out not to be NFL level prospects. They're reasonably accurate when they have the information to rate a particular player. They just don't find a lot of those who have the talent to warrant a higher ranking.

Whenever UT finds the guy who will turn the program around, he will have an above average ability to find those players.
Some background on Ayomanor and comments from Justin Dillon, who runs 730 Scouting and helps Canadian players get placed at schools in the U.S.

Elic Ayomanor didn’t disappoint when he entered his sophomore season at Peddie School in New Jersey. But midway through his first season in the U.S., he broke his collar bone, and then his head coach left the program. After transferring to a much better fit in Deerfield Academy in Massachusetts, COVID-19 wiped out Ayomanor’s junior season. This meant that after moving to the U.S., he’d played less than one season of football through two fall seasons.

...On the day of Notre Dame’s camp, Sunday, June 6, Dillon’s phone rang. It was Ayomanor with big news – the Fighting Irish had offered him a scholarship. “He just told me he didn't even get to do the whole (set of) drills and everything,” Dillon said. “They just pulled him aside...I think he ran his 40…I forget what he told me it was but it was something ridiculous. And then they made him do this one drill…(testing whether) he fights for the ball and (whether) he has good, strong hands. “He said, ‘Jay, I killed it.’ He said they said, ‘Okay, we're offering you.’"

...“I've told every coach, ‘This is probably the best receiver I've ever worked with.’ I say, ‘This guy might be one of the best to come out of Canada.’ And that's the Chase Claypools and a guy I've worked with Josh Palmer who was at Tennessee and just got drafted to the Chargers. “I say, ‘This young man, he's special.’ He's just got that it factor. And it's not just about football. It's about the maturity that he has. It's on a different level. He holds his standards very high.”
Yeah... but he only has 3* from sports writers.

This is exactly why you trust the coaches' evaluations above all else right now. Before, a kid may be a "diamond in the rough", but Covid has created a situation with a lot of true gems that the services haven't really seen. I'm not a stargazer under normal conditions, but definitely not during the current situation.

I have never understood how some folks take star rankings from rivals,247 and espn as the know all. They are a good guide, but I will take a major college coaches opinion on a players talent over any of them all day long and twice on sunday. There really is no comparison, and it's downright silly how some pre-determine a players potential solely on his star ranking. GBO!!!!!

Looks like the last Canadian we just lost to the NFL draft as far as stature and general look of that film. Josh Palmer would approve of another Canadian Vol WR I’m sure anyhow
You’re not a sooner fan?

This is exactly why you trust the coaches' evaluations above all else right now. Before, a kid may be a "diamond in the rough", but Covid has created a situation with a lot of true gems that the services haven't really seen. I'm not a stargazer under normal conditions, but definitely not during the current situation.

Exactly. I am a star gazer to a certain extent. The teams that win championships have more players that are rated 4 and 5 stars, that is just a fact. HOWEVER, this year is very different. There were no camps last year. Some places barely played any high school football last season. If there is ever a year to find "diamonds in the rough" then this is the year. Many kids didn't get properly evaluated this cycle. This kid seems to be one of those diamonds in the rough. Looks like he will be a real match-up problem for a lot of corners to cover, and he is already built like he is in the NFL.

Exactly. I am a star gazer to a certain extent. The teams that win championships have more players that are rated 4 and 5 stars, that is just a fact. HOWEVER, this year is very different. There were no camps last year. Some places barely played any high school football last season. If there is ever a year to find "diamonds in the rough" then this is the year. Many kids didn't get properly evaluated this cycle. This kid seems to be one of those diamonds in the rough. Looks like he will be a real match-up problem for a lot of corners to cover, and he is already built like he is in the NFL.
I think the issue is that we judge what a team has to have recruit wise but don’t realize that part of the growth to being on top is built on the back of good evaluations of 3-4 * star players….. once you reach the top then the evaluations match the rating better….. Fans don’t want to go through that process and want to turn a 3 win tram into Alabama overnight.

I think the issue is that we judge what a team has to have recruit wise but don’t realize that part of the growth to being on top is built on the back of good evaluations of 3-4 * star players….. once you reach the top then the evaluations match the rating better….. Fans don’t want to go through that process and want to turn a 3 win tram into Alabama overnight.
Right, I also remember that Nick Sabans first class had 25 players in it. They were all 3 stars according to Rivals, including Mark Ingram.

You’re not a sooner fan?
My step dad went to UT and I was raised a Vol. I went to school at UO. Yes this has been a weird year for me with the transfers from UT. It’s never been a issue for me liking both till recently with the news about the SEC expansion and several key players transferring to UO. Not sure how this shakes out for me and no I’m not a fan of the idea of the move if anyone cares to know.

My step dad went to UT and I was raised a Vol. I went to school at UO. Yes this has been a weird year for me with the transfers from UT. It’s never been a issue for me liking both till recently with the news about the SEC expansion and several key players transferring to UO. Not sure how this shakes out for me and no I’m not a fan of the idea of the move if anyone cares to know.
Is it OU or UO?

I grew up detesting Oklahoma…primarily because of Barry Switzer. After attending the Vols game in Norman I’m a mini-fan (at least of the atmosphere) and if I see Switzer being interviewed, I’ll stop down and happily listen to one of the great old football storytellers. If you live long enough, your hate levels out.

One of those kids that if he puts the right amount of work in weight room once he hits a college campus he can be a beast size wise

StephenVFL: Ryan, how do you like our chances with Elic Ayomanor?

Callahan: I don’t have a great feel for where Ayomanor might be leaning right now.

And I’m not sure he’s leaning toward any particular school at the moment. But what I’ve heard suggests it’s mainly a two-team race between Stanford and Tennessee. One of the variables in that one — and this goes for pretty much anyone who’s strongly considering Stanford — could be whether Ayomanor is accepted into Stanford academically. He makes good grades, so that wouldn’t appear to be a concern on the surface. But I’ve seen some pretty good students have issues with the admissions process there, so you just never know whether that might be a possible complication.

Assuming that’s not an issue, I still could see that one going either way.

I think Stanford feels pretty good about its chances, but Tennessee offers something a little bit different that also seems to have intrigued him.

If you’re into reading tea leaves, this might or might not mean anything, but it’s at least worth noting that his mother was able to accompany him on his visits to Notre Dame, Stanford and Cal. Back when he visited Tennessee, his mother wasn’t able to join him in the U.S., at least in part because of COVID border restrictions. I do think the prestigious academic schools have generally caught his attention, but he sees some major positives at Tennessee, too, including the Vols’ new offense and the connections UT has that could help him in life after football.

StephenVFL: Ryan, how do you like our chances with Elic Ayomanor?

Callahan: I don’t have a great feel for where Ayomanor might be leaning right now.

And I’m not sure he’s leaning toward any particular school at the moment. But what I’ve heard suggests it’s mainly a two-team race between Stanford and Tennessee. One of the variables in that one — and this goes for pretty much anyone who’s strongly considering Stanford — could be whether Ayomanor is accepted into Stanford academically. He makes good grades, so that wouldn’t appear to be a concern on the surface. But I’ve seen some pretty good students have issues with the admissions process there, so you just never know whether that might be a possible complication.

Assuming that’s not an issue, I still could see that one going either way.

I think Stanford feels pretty good about its chances, but Tennessee offers something a little bit different that also seems to have intrigued him.

If you’re into reading tea leaves, this might or might not mean anything, but it’s at least worth noting that his mother was able to accompany him on his visits to Notre Dame, Stanford and Cal. Back when he visited Tennessee, his mother wasn’t able to join him in the U.S., at least in part because of COVID border restrictions. I do think the prestigious academic schools have generally caught his attention, but he sees some major positives at Tennessee, too, including the Vols’ new offense and the connections UT has that could help him in life after football.
The most Ryan Callahan answer possible

VN Store

Back