M. Cornelius reporting - Aussie guard commits to Lady Vols

Okay, she was not a big contributor but does that change anything about the comparison to Dunbar (who is not even in the WNBA)?

No. Like I said, I knew that MR graduating would leave a huge void for Tennessee. I've been saying all year that all the people that couldn't wait for MR to graduate will be missing her dearly this season.

Reactions: travis929
Her highlight package is all of one game. Welcome however this smells transferrish. Lord bring J Horston already for my mental.
Her highlight package is all of one game. Welcome however this smells transferrish. Lord bring J Horston already for my mental.
One game? She wore different numbers and different colored uniforms.

No. Like I said, I knew that MR graduating would leave a huge void for Tennessee. I've been saying all year that all the people that couldn't wait for MR to graduate will be missing her dearly this season.
Yes, a lot of folks thought we would be worse this year and they were correct. Next year could be worse if we lose 1 or more key players:
2 seniors - 1 that has not played one minute here and 1 that has averaged about a minute per game in three years
3 juniors - 1 or more may transfer and 1 that has nagging knee issues
4 sophomores - will any transfer and will they improve over the summer?
4 freshmen - enough said

I vote fresh start with a new staff than go thru another year under achieving mainly due to coaching.

Concerning the venue this weekend - ironic that Davis and Westbrook play on the court they almost called home a couple of years ago

A second Aussie (this one a 2020) is expected that have also committed. Expected to announce soon.

Interesting! I don’t know how our Aussie Lady Vols will turn out, but I do know that Australian women are known for being tough, no-nonsense, hard workers. Let’s hope we’ve got some great ones!

Amb .... I enjoy your posts, however I cannot agree about Mercedes! We miss her only because of what we have without her! Would Brown made a difference? I guess we will see next year?

I have been screaming 😱 at Mercedes for FIVE YEARS..... Simple stuff , don’t bring the ball down but keep it high above your head ! This basic fundamental skill is taught to all High School Centers..... She let five foot nothing players push her all over the court ! Would not box out players for rebounds! When she fouled someone she tried not to touch them and would hold her hands in the air like they had the blue bonic plague that she might catch if she touched them .... I am so glad we are not forcing the ball to her .... but are having to play a different game ! JMO

Amb .... I enjoy your posts, however I cannot agree about Mercedes! We miss her only because of what we have without her! Would Brown made a difference? I guess we will see next year?

I have been screaming 😱 at Mercedes for FIVE YEARS..... Simple stuff , don’t bring the ball down but keep it high above your head ! This basic fundamental skill is taught to all High School Centers..... She let five foot nothing players push her all over the court ! Would not box out players for rebounds! When she fouled someone she tried not to touch them and would hold her hands in the air like they had the blue bonic plague that she might catch if she touched them .... I am so glad we are not forcing the ball to her .... but are having to play a different game ! JMO
Thanks. I needed that this morning. Nearly feel out of my chair laughing. Do the victims turn blue?

Her tape above has to be from more than one game unless she changers uniforms and numbers at least twice.

I like her already! Extremely quick and sneaky (in a good way).

Opponents won't know who to guard. And, although the confusion should equal out for both teams, it will actually cut down on turnovers since her teammates will think they're throwing the ball to the other team.

It's an extremely ingenius and cunning plan, but it just might work!

Shades of Baldrick....

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Thought they played more Netball down under than Basketball. If you haven't seen it, it's almost as boring as soccer.

That’s been changing pretty rapidly over the last few years which is why we’re seeing more Australian recruits. With the popularity and success of the Australian Women’s National Team. Players like Alana Smith, Tiana Mangakhia, Chloe Bibby, Nakkasoglu, Liz Cambage, and Sandy Brondello coaching in the WNBA has encouraged a more “American” style of play. They all want to play “tougher” and find it much more fun that netball.

They all seem to be more coachable than the American recruits and have a strong desire to do what’s best for the team. Not just for themselves. I don’t know that Holly has found any hidden gems from down under, but I’ve enjoyed the influx of Aussies, they’re a tough lot. We’ve been missing some toughness, hopefully it will be contagious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2

I don't deny Mercedes had her shortcomings. She was inconsistent. But her bad tendencies were inconsistent as well. If the guards could get her the ball on the block, she was gonna score or get fouled more often than not. Sure, sometimes she didn't box out or rebound as well as she could have, but she still averaged a nice clip. A lot of people were saying that Cheridene was better, and we can see this season that she is not. Cheridene cannot take up space, command the attention of multiple defenders, or score in a variety of ways consistently the way Mercedes could. She wasn't A'ja Wilson, but she was good enough to bail Tennessee out of a lot of holes the last two years. As for Lou Brown, I'm gonna call it now and say she is no Mercedes and she's probably no Cheridene either. We will see her play and say, "Lou? I thought her name was Kortney?"

Interesting! I don’t know how our Aussie Lady Vols will turn out, but I do know that Australian women are known for being tough, no-nonsense, hard workers. Let’s hope we’ve got some great ones!

Why not try and get Oklahoma St sophomore point guard Braxtin Miller ? makes more sense per twitter

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Why not try and get Oklahoma St sophomore point guard Braxtin Miller ? makes more sense per twitter

How about no. She's a high volume, low percentage shooter. We have enough of those to go around. I'm guessing she'll end up at Ohio State or somewhere else closer to home. She's not a bad player, but she's not that good either.

How about no. She's a high volume, low percentage shooter. We have enough of those to go around. I'm guessing she'll end up at Ohio State or somewhere else closer to home. She's not a bad player, but she's not that good either.

I disagree she was on a bad team and still put up good number Holly will go after her she will be in for a visit.

VN Store

Back