LV players weigh in on Holly Warlick's firing

Last edited:
Reactions: cutiepie5
Well said. I think we all knew it was time , but I don’t understand why or how people are rejoicing in her losing her job. She dedicated her life to UT.
She has been, is, and always be a VFL.....doesn't matter what the next page in her trip may be. Unfortunately, there will never be another coach who can match up to Holly's predecessor, Pat Summit. Holly had big shoes to fill but just couldn't get it done.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Those comments from Rennia and Jazz about say it all. They didn’t look terribly upset. I’m not sure what went on this season behind closed doors but they look relieved to be honest.

I have no doubt Holly has been a wonderful mentor to some of her past players, but many of those posts drive it home for me. They all call her “Holls” like she’s their best girlfriend. None of Coach Summitt’s players were running around calling her “Patty,” it was Coach or Coach Summitt. She didn’t just command respect, they nearly feared her. Not because she was cruel, but because she expected the most out of every single one of them and they wanted to please her. If you notice, the ones who have taken to social media were obvious “favorites” of Holly over the years. It was evident when they were playing and it should never be like that.

Holly could have done this differently and stepped down or retired, which I’m sure was an option. She chose not to. You can’t go 19-13, 7-9 in conference and 10-7 at home at what was once the most elite and feared women’s basketball program in the country and expect to still have a job next season.

I hope she’s able to move on from this and I respect what she gave to the university over the years. It was time though.

I am sorry, but when you sign-up for coach for an elite team the expectations are VERY high. She was a player and she was an assistant coach. But then see accepted being the HEAD coach. When she did this it's not like she didn't know the history of the team! She knew the bar had been set high. Now, seven years later the team is NO longer an elite team! Sorry, but my respect for her has dropped to a low level. She has damaged the Lady Vols more than any single person in the history of the program!!! I wish her well, hope she will return as a Vol fan and nothing more.

Even after all these years of waiting I am in disbelief at what has occurred. This is a clean cut. For Fulmer to actually fire her, no resigning or moving to a different position. And then to see the reaction from Massengill and Davis. It’s like it’s no big deal. Were things that bad in the locker room? And why are they so calm? It’s like they know who their coach will be, or at least that they are going to be fine. Papa Fulmer must have had a good talk with them.

I am sorry, but when you sign-up for coach for an elite team the expectations are VERY high. She was a player and she was an assistant coach. But then see accepted being the HEAD coach. When she did this it's not like she didn't know the history of the team! She knew the bar had been set high. Now, seven years later the team is NO longer an elite team! Sorry, but my respect for her has dropped to a low level. She has damaged the Lady Vols more than any single person in the history of the program!!! I wish her well, hope she will return as a Vol fan and nothing more.

I don’t disagree. I’m trying to be tactful, but it was definitely time. I still don’t think she takes responsibility for where the program is now. She spent the last two seasons trying to blame it on everything but herself. She needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror. I’m just sad it had to come down to her being fired.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Evidently she wasn’t too buddy, buddy with Davis or Massengill. They were ice cold.

That’s what l mean though. She was Buddy Buddy with some but not others. As a head coach you can’t be friends with your players. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a positive relationship with them, but I felt like she clearly played favorites. That creates bad dynamics within your team and some players end up feeling slighted.

Even after all these years of waiting I am in disbelief at what has occurred. This is a clean cut. For Fulmer to actually fire her, no resigning or moving to a different position. And then to see the reaction from Massengill and Davis. It’s like it’s no big deal. Were things that bad in the locker room? And why are they so calm? It’s like they know who their coach will be, or at least that they are going to be fine. Papa Fulmer must have had a good talk with them.

Absolutely no doubt that players were interviewed before the decision was made. It is part of the process. Holly was toast so her firing does not necessarily mean that the players were negative. But we have signals that Evina and now Rennia were not pro-Holly and I am sure there were others. Lot of social media suggested that Zaay may not have been too happy either. Those players in particular often looked very frustrated and I assume it was feeling that the team was not properly for its key games.

Well said. I think we all knew it was time , but I don’t understand why or how people are rejoicing in her losing her job. She dedicated her life to UT.
It amazes me that people will say, we all knew it was time, but don’t rejoice that next year we don’t have to go through a year like this year was. For those of us who want the Lady Vol basketball program to be elite again, we now have hope of that, and rejoice. Did you think it was enjoyable for the team or Holly to be criticized so much this last year? Now that Holly is no longer head Coach, she’ll be loved and appreciated for all she gave to Tennessee, as is right, and the criticism ends, better for her, the team, the fans, the Legacy.

It amazes me that people will say, we all knew it was time, but don’t rejoice that next year we don’t have to go through a year like this year was. For those of us who want the Lady Vol basketball program to be elite again, we now have hope of that, and rejoice. Did you think it was enjoyable for the team or Holly to be criticized so much this last year? Now that Holly is no longer head Coach, she’ll be loved and appreciated for all she gave to Tennessee, as is right, and the criticism ends, better for her, the team, the fans, the Legacy.
It was time for her to go, but she’s still a human being with feelings. I wouldn’t rejoice in a secretary or middle management guy losing their job, why her? Be happy we’re moving in another direction without bashing or demonizing someone who devoted their life to UT.

I’m sure Warlick was well liked by many, but I’ve noticed all of these players were favorites of hers. You don’t see someone like Tamika Catchings or Parker speaking out. Regardless, it doesn’t change the results on the court.

Not rejoicing in the fact that it has to come down to Holly being fired, but I can hardly say I’m apt to sit around and have a pity party for her. She had many great years as a player and assistant at UT but that doesn’t entitle her to a buffer from criticism. The present and glaring fact is, she wasn’t getting it done, not even close. She had an opportunity to prove that she could lead the Lady Vols as a head coach, unfortunately we declined drastically each season under her leadership.

Just because a murderer did many great things in their life doesn’t undo the fact that they’re a murderer. Holly was killing the program, plain and simple. Maybe to her it was like over watering a plant, she was just trying to love it too much. You can pinpoint this, that and the other as having contributed to why, but at the end of the day the burden lies on the shoulders of the leader. She never had any answers as to why, just a whole heck of a lot of “I don’t know” particularly the last three seasons.

I don’t wish her ill will, but I’m not going to sit back, sing her praises and just forget about it because she’s gone. She didn’t have a stitch of self awareness in any one of her press conferences this season. She pointed the finger everywhere but at herself in what was, to me, a pretty plain attempt to save her job. Last time I checked, that’s not the LVFL way. Say what you want but I’m glad for a change, no sadness here.

Last edited:
Her players are showing more class than a lot of so-called fans.

So you were pleased with 19-13 and listening to Holly blame the players all season? Give me a break. You must be such a great fan. Maybe Phil will change his mind and you can sit in the stands and cheer for a 12-20 team next season.

Reactions: SDV
I think it speaks volumes that no player is outraged at her firing. They just really like her and are thankful to her but they all could see she wasn’t a great coach. I wish Holly well and thank her for her time spent here (not including the past 3 years where she broke all those records that was tearing Pat’s house down).

Not rejoicing in the fact that it has to come down to Holly being fired, but I can hardly say I’m apt to sit around and have a pity party for her. She had many great years as a player and assistant at UT but that doesn’t entitle her to a buffer from criticism. The present and glaring fact is, she wasn’t getting it done, not even close. She had an opportunity to prove that she could lead the Lady Vols as a head coach, unfortunately we declined drastically each season under her leadership.

Just because a murderer did many great things in their life doesn’t undo the fact that they’re a murderer. Holly was killing the program, plain and simple. Maybe to her it was like over watering a plant, she was just trying to love it too much. You can pinpoint this, that and the other as having contributed to why, but at the end of the day the burden lies on the shoulders of the leader. She never had any answers as to why, just a whole heck of a lot of “I don’t know” particularly the last three seasons.

I don’t wish her ill will, but I’m not going to sit back, sing her praises and just forget about it because she’s gone. She didn’t have a stitch of self awareness in any one of her press conferences this season. She pointed the finger everywhere but at herself in what was, to me, a pretty plain attempt to save her job. Last time I checked, that’s not the LVFL way. Say what you want but I’m glad for a change, no sadness here.
I applaud you! Best read. 😊

Reactions: VolBall09

VN Store

Back