LV game 1 cancelled

Oh hell, here we go. Not only the LVs, but now both the men's game and the football game this weekend are off. Barnes has covid, Fulmer has covid. Covid, covid, covid!!!

I say this year, play a game wherever you can get it. This year is really a gimmie, an asterisk season before it ever starts. Treat em all as scrimmages. Let's see which team can pull together and prosper under adverse, crazy ass conditions.

I just pray we somehow get a college season in, especially bc the men Vols should have one of their best teams ever. Perhaps a spring season might have been better. There's just so much transmission right now the virus is almost unavoidable if you're in public alot. And just wait till right after the holidays.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Oh hell, here we go. Not only the LVs, but now both the men's game and the football game this weekend are off. Barnes has covid, Fulmer has covid. Covid, covid, covid!!!

I say this year, play a game wherever you can get it. This year is really a gimmie, an asterisk season before it ever starts. Treat em all as scrimmages. Let's see which team can pull together and prosper under adverse, crazy ass conditions.

I just pray we somehow get a college season in, especially bc the men Vols should have one of their best teams ever. Perhaps a spring season might have been better. There's just so much transmission right now the virus is almost unavoidable if you're in public alot. And just wait till right after the holidays.

Rick Pitino had the suggestion of postponing until the spring, playing only a conference schedule, and having "May madness." With it looking like a vaccine might be available on the horizon he might be onto something. This November start date seems doomed to failure...

Sad that we had FAMU on our schedule to begin with! I was hoping Kellie would schedule togher!

Reactions: mcannon1
Sad that we had FAMU on our schedule to begin with! I was hoping Kellie would schedule togher!

Well considering Stanford and ND cancelled their games against us and the tournament that would have given us two more power 5 teams to play got cancelled ya know...

Pat always scheduled her former players to help get their teams going and experience TN. I don’t see an issue of scheduling those games if the schedule is balanced which it seemed this years was previously. i also read where kellie had to make this schedule over multiple times since it was set in the summer.

So why don’t we look at the schedule that Kellie had scheduled before CoVid took it away.

Plus if you look at it some posters didnt want to fit in Louisville because “we aren’t ready”. We can’t have it both ways either we want to play those teams or we take on Hollys schedule and get wins.

Coaches of the men Vols are in quarantine so there goes those games wow six game week is quickly fading to one or two. ETSU may not be playing so there is only Western Kentucky if that happens. I think this season is going to be a disaster covid is more widespread in this second wave than originally. Get well soon Coach Barnes hate to hear he has it.

UConn has cancelled it's 1st four games due to a "member" of the program testing positive.

Given that one of those games was against Louisville on December 4th, I'd say that it's at least somewhat plausible that the Cards could come down to Knoxville that day. I get that replacing FAMU with a top-five team a week later seems a touch odd, but I would hope that a game like that can prepare the Lady Vols for Texas/WVU/the SEC slate.

Coaches of the men Vols are in quarantine so there goes those games wow six game week is quickly fading to one or two. ETSU may not be playing so there is only Western Kentucky if that happens. I think this season is going to be a disaster covid is more widespread in this second wave than originally. Get well soon Coach Barnes hate to hear he has it.
I wonder if the NCAA could simply push the season back to March or so start? The distribution of a vaccine seems likely by then. It just makes more sense than trying to push forward right now, when odds are December-January games schedules will be drastically disrupted.

I think we scheduled them partially because Shalon Pillow is their new coach. It was as close as we were going to get to an exhibition game for the young players as well.

I actually loved that Kellie scheduled a game against a former teammate, didn't you? And you're right. It would have been a perfect "get the jitters out" game for all of the newcomers. I imagine Shalon is deflated over the cancelation of her first season as a head coach. I sure am.

I actually loved that Kellie scheduled a game against a former teammate, didn't you? And you're right. It would have been a perfect "get the jitters out" game for all of the newcomers. I imagine Shalon is deflated over the cancelation of her first season as a head coach. I sure am.

Yes, I love it. It reminded me of Pat. She always tried to schedule her players just getting their start as coaches. Gives their team a benchmark to play the Lady Vols, even if we aren’t the powerhouse we once were. I’m sure Shalon and her players are crushed. It’s a really tough year full of tough decisions. Everyone is just trying to do the best they can with the information we have!

From a coach's standpoint, one can see that time is needed to prepare for any opponent, much less a top ten team. Strategizing, breaking down scouting film, etc. You also don't want to throw a team with so many untested components into the deep end right away.

From a fan's standpoint, one could only admire the chutzpah it would show to take on such a challenge on no notice. It would send a message that "We're not afraid to take on anybody, so bring it!"

Given the patchwork nature of the various conference schedules (and inevitable interruptions and cancellations), I'd almost like to see the NCAA declare this to be a "no champion/no tournament" season and just let teams and conferences play for the experience and player development (and bragging rights). If individual conferences want to have a tournament, fine. If press services want to rank teams and vote on a mythical champion, super. But this is like a wartime situation in many ways. Whatever competitive games get played should be viewed as gravy. Fans get their entertainment, players get to compete, and no one has to worry about NCAA Tournament seedings.

From a coach's standpoint, one can see that time is needed to prepare for any opponent, much less a top ten team. Strategizing, breaking down scouting film, etc. You also don't want to throw a team with so many untested components into the deep end right away.

From a fan's standpoint, one could only admire the chutzpah it would show to take on such a challenge on no notice. It would send a message that "We're not afraid to take on anybody, so bring it!"

Given the patchwork nature of the various conference schedules (and inevitable interruptions and cancellations), I'd almost like to see the NCAA declare this to be a "no champion/no tournament" season and just let teams and conferences play for the experience and player development (and bragging rights). If individual conferences want to have a tournament, fine. If press services want to rank teams and vote on a mythical champion, super. But this is like a wartime situation in many ways. Whatever competitive games get played should be viewed as gravy. Fans get their entertainment, players get to compete, and no one has to worry about NCAA Tournament seedings.

Bring on the Cubble!

The WNBA was had one of its most watchable seasons this past season with the wubble,,,I think doing the NCAA at a bubble location would do the same thing for college

Bring on the Cubble!

The WNBA was had one of its most watchable seasons this past season with the wubble,,,I think doing the NCAA at a bubble location would do the same thing for college
Except these are students that are also supposed to be attending class...not paid professionals. I'd like to see the NCAA try to rationalize this if they even attempt to suggest it.

Rick Pitino had the suggestion of postponing until the spring, playing only a conference schedule, and having "May madness." With it looking like a vaccine might be available on the horizon he might be onto something. This November start date seems doomed to failure...
the problem with that is the WNBA draft in April and the season begins in May

Bring on the Cubble!

How do you think that would work, logistically? I've seen many posts suggesting this, but I honestly cannot understand how it could be even remotely possible to do this. The astronomical cost of it alone would render it impossible, in my opinion. How many bubbles would there be? One for each conference? Who would decide where each bubble would be located? What about practice facilities? Food sources?

But if you've seen a real plan for how it could feasibly work, I'd love to hear about it.

How do you think that would work, logistically? I've seen many posts suggesting this, but I honestly cannot understand how it could be even remotely possible to do this. The astronomical cost of it alone would render it impossible, in my opinion. How many bubbles would there be? One for each conference? Who would decide where each bubble would be located? What about practice facilities? Food sources?

But if you've seen a real plan for how it could feasibly work, I'd love to hear about it.

of the WNBA did this already there is a plan/protocol already laid out for it...the cost would be relevant to the already established costs of the NCAA tourney bc most of the teams travel already anyway.

Have four cubbles that funnel into one cubble for the S16, E8, etc

of the WNBA did this already there is a plan/protocol already laid out for it...the cost would be relevant to the already established costs of the NCAA tourney bc most of the teams travel already anyway.

Have four cubbles that funnel into one cubble for the S16, E8, etc

Coach, there are 12 WNBA teams and 354 D1 women’s basketball programs. The cost of safely housing and feeding and transporting that many teams in a manner similar to the WNBA model would be staggering. I imagine the cost would prevent the overwhelming majority of programs from participating — especially in these days of widespread budget slashing, even among universities whose athletic departments have historically been more financially secure.

And what about those student-athletes with majors that require they participate in labs or internships? I am not seeing a path to feasibility.

I see that you are talking about bubbling for the NCAA Tournament. Sure, that MIGHT be doable. But the WNBA bubbled for their entire season and playoffs. I don’t think that’s possible for the NCAA.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back