LSU is in Trouble

bamawriter

LSU knew officials skirted Title IX policy in 2018. It did nothing.

The article is really long, and really thorough. Here's a sample:

LSU Interim President Tom Galligan told USA TODAY he “really wasn’t aware” of the university’s problems handling sexual misconduct until the news organization published its investigation last month. Both Galligan and LSU’s Board of Supervisors have promised accountability for any LSU officials found to have mishandled allegations.

But the November 2018 Title IX report, obtained by USA TODAY, demonstrates that the school has long known of the problem and that LSU took no action when athletic department officials violated Title IX policies in the past.

The report shows that deputy athletic director Verge Ausberry and football recruiting director Sharon Lewis admitted it was their practice to steer allegations against athletes to Miriam Segar, a senior associate athletic director, instead of reporting them directly to the Title IX coordinator, as LSU policy requires.

Ausberry also told the investigator that when a female student came to him because she had been abused by football player Drake Davis, he told her he “didn’t want to hear anymore” and to talk instead to Segar, who acknowledged never returning the student’s call.

The investigator found Lewis responsible for violating LSU’s Title IX policy because she had failed to report the allegations against Davis to anyone when she learned about them in 2016, the report shows. But LSU took no disciplinary action against Lewis, her attorney told USA TODAY.

Maybe I’m just a hillbilly simpleton that doesn’t understand the intricacies of university life, but I cannot imagine someone telling me they were raped, physically abused, or had their life threatened and not encouraging them to go to the police or going to the police myself. Even if the accuser is lying, I would hope that would be revealed through the investigation.

I don't appreciate this either. I suppose a problem might be that all the local police are huge LSU fans, and they kind of choose to make the problem "go away" in an official capacity. But again, I have no experience with this. It seems to me that reporting to the "Title IX Office" rather than the state police and a half dozen newspapers could be the perfect scheme for sweeping it under the rug.

Last edited:
Reactions: 05_never_again
Funny how he’s gone from one end of the spectrum at Duke to the complete opposite. He couldn’t throw the Duke lacrosse kids under the bus fast enough and now this.
A fellow probably wouldn't get a lot of death threats over Duke Lacrosse.

Maybe I’m just a hillbilly simpleton that doesn’t understand the intricacies of university life, but I cannot imagine someone telling me they were raped, physically abused, or had their life threatened and not encouraging them to go to the police or going to the police myself. Even if the accuser is lying, I would hope that would be revealed through the investigation.
That's the overriding thought I have in these stories, like with the Baylor story as well.

I know the answer (because of Title IX), but why is the primary mechanism for handling this stuff a Title IX office at the university? Why shouldn't stuff like this go directly to law enforcement, like it would if it occurred anywhere else except a college campus? Directing allegations like this to anybody except law enforcement seems like classic ivory tower bureaucratic stuff. A solution in search of a problem.
I don't appreciate this either. I suppose a problem might be that all the local police are huge LSU fans, and they kind of choose to make the problem "go away" in an official capacity. But again, I have no experience with this. It seems to me that reporting to the "Title IX Office" rather than the state police and a half dozen newspapers could be the perfect scheme for sweeping it under the rug.
I hear you, but what did the internal LSU Title IX people do differently? I mean, they effectively made it go away too.

Reactions: The Ron Mexico

VN Store

Back