LSU Head Coach Will Wade Suspended Indefinitely

All we had to do was win our game yesterday. We would have been champs w LSU and simply morphed into a 1985 SEC football champs mode. Nope. Got out played. Auburn was inspired. Gotta give them credit.

1985 football isn't the best comparison. The Gators were declared ineligible for the '85 SEC title before the season started, so we went to the Sugar Bowl besides tying Florida in the standings and losing to them head-to-head. If Florida had not yet been sanctioned, they would have played in the Sugar Bowl.

You're right that we could have just won and eventually been solo champs, but LSU was lucky to not have to come to Knoxville this season, and they were seemingly charmed in several games this year. There is no justification for the timing of the penalty to determine whether or not someone else is the champion. UK was ineligible in 1991 because of sanctions and finished first. LSU and Miss. State were declared co-champions despite finishing second in 1991 behind UK. The only difference in 2019 is the season's over and the sanctions haven't been declared yet.

This would be like an Olympic gold-medal winner being stripped because they tested positive for PEDs, and the person finishing second not being given the gold because the cheater ran the race before the test result came in.

Tennessee had its chance twice to win the SEC Regular Season Championship and did not get the job done. The players knew what was at stake in both games and didn’t accomplish what was needed.
Shades of 2016 football! Expect the athletic culture at UT to improve any second now.

1985 football isn't the best comparison. The Gators were declared ineligible for the '85 SEC title before the season started, so we went to the Sugar Bowl besides tying Florida in the standings and losing to them head-to-head. If Florida had not yet been sanctioned, they would have played in the Sugar Bowl.

You're right that we could have just won and eventually been solo champs, but LSU was lucky to not have to come to Knoxville this season, and they were seemingly charmed in several games this year. There is no justification for the timing of the penalty to determine whether or not someone else is the champion. UK was ineligible in 1991 because of sanctions and finished first. LSU and Miss. State were declared co-champions despite finishing second in 1991 behind UK. The only difference in 2019 is the season's over and the sanctions haven't been declared yet.

The claim LSU and Miss. State had to the 1991 title was actually weaker than the claim UK and UT appear to have this year, because the UK roster that finished first in 1991 wasn't the 'illegal' roster that caused the sanctions. We appear to have competed against an 'illegal' roster this season. That's another reason why it makes no sense to not award UK and UT if LSU is stripped.

Reactions: FlVols
No they will not

UK won the regular season championship in 1987-88, and later had it vacated. Florida and Auburn tied for second but they were not awarded the SEC Championship. Officially that season has no regular season champion nor a tournament champion because UK won that and also had to vacate.

The claim LSU and Miss. State had to the 1991 title was actually weaker than the claim UK and UT appear to have this year, because the UK roster that finished first in 1991 wasn't the 'illegal' roster that caused the sanctions. We appear to have competed against an 'illegal' roster this season. That's another reason why it makes no sense to not award UK and UT if LSU is stripped.

There've been multiple examples that show you're wrong. If/when LSU vacates the championship, there'll be no champion this year. Nowhere has there been a championship given to a team after it's been vacated. That's it. End of discussion. The 2nd place team didn't win it, they aren't given it.

Reactions: ben3ev
I agree with most of what you say. But dribble drives have been a problem for us all season. To me, it looks like we are afraid to guard one on one (or can't) on dribble drivers and they just drive away on us. Is it because we are trying to protect starters by playing helper type defenses on the drives or just know our one on one defenders just aren't good enough by themselves? All this "help" defense leaves too many open "3" for shooters and most teams have one maybe two guys who unguarded, will hit nearly 40% (maybe more) of the shots they are given free and molested.
We had that same problem last year with the really quick guards like UNC and Auburn had. We did fairly well at keepin guards out of the lane early on this season but not so much anymore. I still say it’s better to give up the 3. Someone making 40% of their 3s is better than someone making 80% of their layups.

Reactions: savannahfan
We had that same problem last year with the really quick guards like UNC and Auburn had. We did fairly well at keepin guards out of the lane early on this season but not so much anymore. I still say it’s better to give up the 3. Someone making 40% of their 3s is better than someone making 80% of their layups.
What makes no sense is how many commentators fall all over themselves declaring Bone as possibly the fastest PG in the country yet we claim to have trouble with quick guards? Bone is not elite at keeping the dribbler in front of him based on this years games

What makes no sense is how many commentators fall all over themselves declaring Bone as possibly the fastest PG in the country yet we claim to have trouble with quick guards? Bone is not elite at keeping the dribbler in front of him based on this years games
I do think he does better than Turner but there certainly have been times Bone didn’t stop the ball in transition when he should have. I’ve also seen him get taken in half court off the dribble but the one time that sticks out, at LSU, he had some foul trouble so I assumed that’s why he let the guy go. I don’t know if Bone’s guy blowing by him has happened very often or if that has typically been other defenders. Bone is lightning quick with the ball in his hands though. He has a nasty crossover.

There've been multiple examples that show you're wrong. If/when LSU vacates the championship, there'll be no champion this year. Nowhere has there been a championship given to a team after it's been vacated. That's it. End of discussion. The 2nd place team didn't win it, they aren't given it.

What are you saying I was wrong about?
I’m aware that we probably won’t be given the title after it’s vacated. My point is that if LSU had been sanctioned prior to the season and been ineligible for the title from the beginning, then the ‘second place’ teams would be given the title.

With “end of discussion”, you sound like you think you’re scoring an Internet victory here.

My point is that it’s asinine for the timing of the sanction (before this season vs after the fact) to determine whether or not someone gets the title.

When an Olympic gold medal winner tests positive for steroids, the medals are redistributed with the silver winner now getting the gold. Do you believe they should end the discussion and not give the other person the gold?

Shades of 2016 football! Expect the athletic culture at UT to improve any second now.

No comparison. 2016 football finished .500 in conference and lost to two bottom feeders with far less talented teams after having supposedly finished the brunt of the schedule. This basketball team went 15-3 in conf, a two game improvement from last year, and lost 3 road games to tournament teams, 2 of which are in the top 10. And we knew from the beginning how backloaded our SEC schedule was.

OMG.... This team finished 15-3 in conference which was a two game improvement over last year and what most people who follow the team expected before the season. Trying to paint this as some type of underachievement on the level of a Butch Jones team is really ridiculous. You deserve to get flamed.

Reactions: VolDave53
What are you saying I was wrong about?
I’m aware that we probably won’t be given the title after it’s vacated. My point is that if LSU had been sanctioned prior to the season and been ineligible for the title from the beginning, then the ‘second place’ teams would be given the title.

With “end of discussion”, you sound like you think you’re scoring an Internet victory here.

My point is that it’s asinine for the timing of the sanction (before this season vs after the fact) to determine whether or not someone gets the title.

When an Olympic gold medal winner tests positive for steroids, the medals are redistributed with the silver winner now getting the gold. Do you believe they should end the discussion and not give the other person the gold?
It’s a false equivalency. He is right.

It’s a false equivalency. He is right.

How?
Please explain the difference between the below:

1) LSU is hit with sanctions that includes a postseason ban and an ineligibility for the league title for the coming season. They finish first.

2) LSU finishes first and is later stripped of all wins and stripped of the league title.

The only difference I see is the timing of the levying of the sanctions. They’re ineligible in both cases. For some reason, the timing determines whether or not second place becomes first place. And in my personal opinion, the second-place team in (2) is even more worthy than the second-place team in (1) because they had to compete against the team that cheated instead of against the team being punished for it in real time. Theoretically, the offending team will have a stronger team in (2) than in (1).

Naz Reed is from New Jersey,not exactly a pipeline to Baton Rouge.And Waters is from the New England area also. The player in question is from Baton Rouge.What are the chances he is the only one recieving payola!

How?
Please explain the difference between the below:

1) LSU is hit with sanctions that includes a postseason ban and an ineligibility for the league title for the coming season. They finish first.

2) LSU finishes first and is later stripped of all wins and stripped of the league title.

The only difference I see is the timing of the levying of the sanctions. They’re ineligible in both cases. For some reason, the timing determines whether or not second place becomes first place. And in my personal opinion, the second-place team in (2) is even more worthy than the second-place team in (1) because they had to compete against the team that cheated instead of against the team being punished for it in real time. Theoretically, the offending team will have a stronger team in (2) than in (1).
LSU is/was regular season champs. If they have to vacate that it won’t make UT champs. That’s just the way it is. You can go on about worthy all you want. It won’t change how things are done.

LSU is/was regular season champs. If they have to vacate that it won’t make UT champs. That’s just the way it is. You can go on about worthy all you want. It won’t change how things are done.

I'm aware of how it's done.
That doesn't mean I can't voice an opinion in opposition to it.
Nothing changes in this world by just accepting everything as is without question.

Reactions: BowlBrother85

VN Store

Back