LSU football coach search down to three potential candidates

Aranda is a Texas Tech alum & a California native.
Aranda played college ball and roomed with Tom Herman at Cal Lutheran. Art Briles is the Tech alum after his playing days at Houston were over. Aranda was a GA at Tech for two years (2000-2002) when Briles was the RB coach for the Pirate.

Last edited:
I thought Aranda would have already been announced at USC..but that job is not what it used to be....that half empty I stadium vs UCLA was jaw dropping
USC might not want to play the money game. I posted this in another thread a few minutes ago but I was listening to some sports radio out of Waco today and one of the "insiders" was saying that Baylor was contemplating a Jumbo Fisher type contact for Dave Aranda, except with a huge buyout.

9 future D1 head coaches were on that 2002 staff at Tech.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/epswr9/dave_aranda_is_now_the_8th_member_of_the_2001/

Last edited:
Reactions: VolnJC
USC might not want to play the money game. I posted this in another thread a few minutes ago but I was listening to some sports radio out of Waco today and one of the "insiders" was saying that Baylor was contemplating a Jumbo Fisher type contact for Dave Aranda, except with a huge buyout.
If he's a west coast guy then he might jump but I wouldn't move from TX to CA for even 5 million more...one taxes two traffic three earthquakes...I told my wife once that I never felt so lonely around millions of ppl...we ended our Route 66 trip this past September at the Santa Monica drive and made a beeline to get back to AZ same day

If he's a west coast guy then he might jump but I wouldn't move from TX to CA for even 5 million more...one taxes two traffic three earthquakes...I told my wife once that I never felt so lonely around millions of ppl...we ended our Route 66 trip this past September at the Santa Monica drive and made a beeline to get back to AZ same day
I slept through a 4.6 earthquake in a Holliday Inn in Chico California once. I heard about it on the news the following morning. 😂

I'm assuming you took I-40. If so, I really loved the Flagg Staff/ Williams Arizona area. Spent a few days there in 2005.

I slept through a 4.6 earthquake in a Holliday Inn in Chico California once. I heard about it on the news the following morning. 😂

I'm assuming you took I-40. If so, I really loved the Flagg Staff/ Williams Arizona area. Spent a few days there in 2005.
Yeah and a sidetrip to Sedona..because our autistic son wanted to eat at the only green arch McDonald's lol....beautiful area there.....coming back we did I10 and got to see Phoenix Mesa and Tombstone....fun trip wish we had like 3 weeks instead of 2 to slow it down and see more

Reactions: BUBear
Aranda played college ball and roomed with Tom Herman at Cal Lutheran. Art Briles is the Tech alum after his playing days at Houston were over. Aranda was a GA at Tech for two years (2000-2002) when Briles was the RB coach for the Pirate.
Aranda didn't play college ball. He did room with Tom Herman at Cal Lutheran where he earned his BA while serving as the LB coach. He served as a GA at TT while earning his MS, so he's an alumnus of both schools.

Per Fox Sports:

"The LSU football coaching search is down to three candidates, and the next coach could be named by "the end of this week" or early next week, two sources with knowledge of the search said Monday morning.

The candidates are Baylor head coach Dave Aranda, Louisiana-Lafayette head coach Billy Napier and Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell."
Down to 2 now, Napier is gator bound.

Per Fox Sports:

"The LSU football coaching search is down to three candidates, and the next coach could be named by "the end of this week" or early next week, two sources with knowledge of the search said Monday morning.

The candidates are Baylor head coach Dave Aranda, Louisiana-Lafayette head coach Billy Napier and Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell."
I’d bet money it’s gonna be Aranda.

Down to 2 now, Napier is gator bound.
That tells me that maybe they didn't offer Napier...not to say the Florida job isn't better...it probably is...but he already lives in LA...about an hour away and probably has good relationships with high schools there

That tells me that maybe they didn't offer Napier...not to say the Florida job isn't better...it probably is...but he already lives in LA...about an hour away and probably has good relationships with high schools there
That’s true. Didn’t even think of that.

If I'm Dave Clawson I'm having the agent throw out feelers. Time to get really paid, I mean a lot of coaches getting stupid money bumps this week.
Clausen would fall flat on his face at a football school. He’s a great coach, but his system takes time to install and is a lot tougher when you have a team with a GPA below the mendoza line. That’s why it was such a failure here. He didn’t have enough time to install it and we had a physically gifted QB who wasn’t exactly a rocket scientist in 2008. Look at Lane in 2009 in comparison. He was able to salvage Crompton because he adjusted the game plan to Jon’s strength. He dumbed it down to where Crompton could have success. Clausen’s offense isn’t designed to be dumbed down. You have to get your players experienced with it before it really starts to shine. That would not happen at a school where a couple of 5-7 seasons will get you fired.

Reactions: BUBear
Aranda is going to get re-upped at baylol. I really think LSU is going to get the last candidate. That place is a train wreck right now.

Reactions: Plecoptera
LSU fans have whipped themselves up into a frenzy thinking it's Lincoln Riley...It's going to be hilarious when that doesn't happen.
Yeah thats not going to happen...He's kind of like our Gruden....They will end up wth a good coach but due to them being all hell far fired up for Riley it will probably be disappointing to them whomever they hire.

Reactions: Sub Par SUPERSTAR
Jimbo Fisher has cancelled his coaches show on the radio for the last 2 weeks of the season....hmmmmmm....wonder what could be going on there.....

I thought Aranda would have already been announced at USC..but that job is not what it used to be....that half empty stadium vs UCLA was jaw dropping

Not really. The SC fans and students won't show up for a losing team. It's one of the reasons they don't stay down for long. It still is one of the best NCAA jobs out there if you can coach and win. Talent is walking up and down The Strand every day. Cali is similar to Florida for talent except bigger and more of it.

VN Store

Back