Low tier bowls be gone

They whip the interest. As someone has shown above, the bowls have exploded and 3/4 of them are ESPN bowls.

They've created a cash cow of bowls, they promote the hell out of them as "must see" and people bite.

It's manipulation of the market just like other media creates a "story" and pumps it as "important" and then reaps the clicks and money from the news ads and news shows. Media manipulation...... but sure..... "I wanted to learn about that so I watched XXXXXX news show he was doing about it."
It’s not really manipulation. It’s supply and demand.

I like having the bowl games. It creates matchups you normally wouldn't see.
Can't argue with that considering the best players are sitting out. These games are becoming the equivalent of a spring game scrimmage against another D1 team instead of an intersquad scrimmage. Just prep for the next season.

Reactions: hog88
I was fine when it was an 11 game schedule and you had to win more than you lost. I know a cupcake can be the difference in finishing with a winning record but finishing .500 after you were allowed to play another cupcake seems like you didn't really accomplished anything to be given a reward for.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
I’ll never understand this line of thinking. I have a serious question to anyone who thinks that there are “too many” bowl games….why not just watch something else instead? Why do you care?
Same with me with more playoff games. More football is always better .

Reactions: TennVols12
Can't argue with that considering the best players are sitting out. These games are becoming the equivalent of a spring game scrimmage against another D1 team instead of an intersquad scrimmage. Just prep for the next season.
They're sitting out of the bigger bowls too.

Wow. I guess because they are too good to be there, right? But if they were too good, why is that the only bowl they could play in?
Its not a matter to good to go to a minor bowl...athletes/coaches at p5 schools have egos....and nothing to gain from lower tier bowl....hence why the SEC has lost all games thus far, missouri, fla, auburn,miss st...didnt wanna he there...they win, then they are supposed to..they lose and an avg season becomes less then avg and SEC losses respect as the best conference

I said in another thread that a cool idea would be to split the school’s bowl money 70/30 for the winner/loser players. If you opt out, you get no stipend. It sounds good in my head

Reactions: MAD
I said in another thread that a cool idea would be to split the school’s bowl money 70/30 for the winner/loser players. If you opt out, you get no stipend. It sounds good in my head
Yeah, maybe there is some solution out there to keep these games meaningful. Maybe you play them before the playoff teams are selected. I remember that idea being kicked around years ago. It wouldn't help the lower their bowls much but woul definitely raise interest in a few. 11 game regular season, then conference championships, then bowls, then an 8 team playoff could work. Comes out to 16 games for the two best teams but that's just one more game than they play now.

I just can’t wrap my head around why it bothers people. It’s like walking into a bar and complaining because there’s too many beers on the menu.

I don't want less football I just want more meaningful football. Cut the bowl games in half (at least) and expand the regular season by 2 games.

Also: no more P5 schools playing FCS teams.

Reactions: SoddyAllVol
I just can’t wrap my head around why it bothers people. It’s like walking into a bar and complaining because there’s too many beers on the menu.
It's going to contribute to college athletics being deemed a pro league by the courts and lead to players being pro athletes.

You have a company making half a billion dollars in a coupla weeks from an "amateur sport" and the players see ZERO of that money while the schools and conferences profit in a big way along with ESPN.

During the NFL playoffs, there's probably huge money made BUT the players are paid for their performance.

If the business is going to make money on the pro model, the players are going to be seen as pro players by the courts.

Then you folks will be talking about how the sport has been ruined.

It cannot be "traditional football like we've always known" and making half a billion dollars in 3 weeks for ESPN.

It's going to contribute to college athletics being deemed a pro league by the courts and lead to players being pro athletes.

You have a company making half a billion dollars in a coupla weeks from an "amateur sport" and the players see ZERO of that money while the schools and conferences profit in a big way along with ESPN.

During the NFL playoffs, there's probably huge money made BUT the players are paid for their performance.

If the business is going to make money on the pro model, the players are going to be seen as pro players by the courts.

Then you folks will be talking about how the sport has been ruined.

It cannot be "traditional football like we've always known" and making half a billion dollars in 3 weeks for ESPN.
first of all… most “tradition” arguments are really weak and I won’t be making any of them.

The money part is nonsensical. Cutting the number of bowl games from 40 to 30 isn’t going to change the economic reality of college athletes. The current model has the same issues whether there are 4 or 40 Bowl games.

first of all… most “tradition” arguments are really weak and I won’t be making any of them.

The money part is nonsensical. Cutting the number of bowl games from 40 to 30 isn’t going to change the economic reality of college athletes. The current model has the same issues whether there are 4 or 40 Bowl games.
If you're fine with the players being pro athletes then we're good. The economic reality IS that ESPN and the schools are treating the league as a pro league and the players aren't being paid a fair wage.

The courts will fix that BUT you'll hear wailing and gnashing of teeth on VN to no end about how "football was ruined" by the courts.

It wasn't. It long ago became too lucrative to still be called an amateur sport.

If you're fine with the players being pro athletes then we're good. The economic reality IS that ESPN and the schools are treating the league as a pro league and the players aren't being paid a fair wage.

The courts will fix that BUT you'll hear wailing and gnashing of teeth on VN to no end about how "football was ruined" by the courts.

It wasn't. It long ago became too lucrative to still be called an amateur sport.
You already posted that and it was a red herring both times. That is a larger issue which exists with or without bowl games.

You already posted that and it was a red herring both times. That is a larger issue which exists with or without bowl games.
The pimping of "bowl mania" to "importance" to fans is nothing more than the media, ESPN, leading sheeple, including me also, to have interest and, most importantly, have my TV on for UTEP vs Fresno State or whatever.

Fans win (in the short term..... More football, good. Less football, bad) and ESPN and the schools clean up financially.

Sure, I'll ride it like the rest until it goes off the rails but I won't be surprised nor not realize my part in the ruining of the sport.

Moderation could've helped. The NCAA, the schools, the networks and the..... me..... the fans got drunk on college football. We'll get the headache soon.

Watching USCe v UNC South Carolina looks like they want to be there . UNC players could care less it’s embarrassing for UNC fans. That’s why I don’t bet on non playoff games some teams just party and cash it in. Not much fun to watch. the announcers are talking about food etc. just trying to get thru it. Sad for college FB.

The pimping of "bowl mania" to "importance" to fans is nothing more than the media, ESPN, leading sheeple, including me also, to have interest and, most importantly, have my TV on for UTEP vs Fresno State or whatever.

Fans win (in the short term..... More football, good. Less football, bad) and ESPN and the schools clean up financially.

Sure, I'll ride it like the rest until it goes off the rails but I won't be surprised nor not realize my part in the ruining of the sport.

Moderation could've helped. The NCAA, the schools, the networks and the..... me..... the fans got drunk on college football. We'll get the headache soon.
The headache is already here with the O’Bannon lawsuit and the age of NIL. The NCAA and college Presidents rode the gravy train for 30 years and ignored their chance to cut the players in on the action.

Watching USCe v UNC South Carolina looks like they want to be there . UNC players could care less it’s embarrassing for UNC fans. That’s why I don’t bet on non playoff games some teams just party and cash it in. Not much fun to watch. the announcers are talking about food etc. just trying to get thru it. Sad for college FB.
I’ve seen regular season games the same. It’s college football

you should post more often. It seems like you never post your insights like this one enough.

I know it’s highly unlikely because these games are all about the TV and sponsorship money…but what if a team had to win 8 games to be bowl eligible? It would save us the torture of these bojangles cheddar bo biscuit bowls and the like. Plus it would make the bowls mean more and maybe kids wouldn’t elect to sit out. Just a thought
Don't watch, bro. Problem solved.

VN Store

Back