Louisville prepared to lose women's basketball coach Jeff Walz to Tennessee

I do not think we go this route. I think we go with an up and comer coach, who we will pay somewhere between 500 thousand and 750 thousand dollars. We will see. Also do not think we hire a man to coach the lady vols. Just my opinion.

As I said in the other thread, color me extremely skeptical at this.

First, he currently makes more money than I have been told we are willing to spend on a new head coach.

Second, he is known in women’s basketball recruiting circles as playing in the margins, at best. I’m not sure that fits the profile that our current administration would be looking for.

Third, he has used this exact same playbook to get a raise out of Louisville in past years. In fact, his agent started the rumor that Tennessee was going to fire Holly two years ago to hire him. He ended up getting almost a $300,000 raise out of that rumor. Louisville has a different athletics director now, one that is focused presently on cost cutting, so that may not be a wise play at this point.

Fourth, and probably most importantly, I find it very difficult to believe that the people in UT’s administration that will be responsible for finding the next coach would have been in contact with potential candidates to the point that they would be ready to take the job while the season is still going on and the current head coach having not yet been relieved of duties. That isn’t an M. O. that fits any of those people.

Certainly, anything is possible, but I don’t put a lot of stock in this particular report.

As I said in the other thread, color me extremely skeptical at this.

First, he currently makes more money than I have been told we are willing to spend on a new head coach.

Second, he is known in women’s basketball recruiting circles as playing in the margins, at best. I’m not sure that fits the profile that our current administration would be looking for.

Third, he has used this exact same playbook to get a raise out of Louisville in past years. In fact, his agent started the rumor that Tennessee was going to fire Holly two years ago to hire him. He ended up getting almost a $300,000 raise out of that rumor. Louisville has a different athletics director now, one that is focused presently on cost cutting, so that may not be a wise play at this point.

Fourth, and probably most importantly, I find it very difficult to believe that the people in UT’s administration that will be responsible for finding the next coach would have been in contact with potential candidates to the point that they would be ready to take the job while the season is still going on and the current head coach having not yet been relieved of duties. That isn’t an M. O. that fits any of those people.

Certainly, anything is possible, but I don’t put a lot of stock in this particular report.

You better get some closer connections......

They need to bring back the Ramada Inn Express commercials for Holly Warlick:D
zcZKQmRItjDsoaq.jpg.gif

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Sorry to disagree with you,feathersax;) I would rather have Phil Fulmer shell out the bucks and get a top shelf women's head basketball coach than have him save bucks and hire a mid-major women's basketball head coach:cool:
So UT should pay $2 million PLUS for women's bb coach? Just don't see it. How many championships have his teams won? I'm just skeptical.

As someone perhaps closer to the UofL situation than others on here (see the user name), I would suggest that the only way Walz leaves UofL and moves to Knoxville is if the Cards win the NC this season. That's been his goal all along, and this team can certainly do that.

Otherwise, I think he stays in Louisville. His family likes it here, he is well-liked across the city, and the pressure is much lower than it would be at UT.

My $0.02.

Reactions: feathersax
UT would have a buyout on Warlick's contract.

UT is still paying Butch Jones a little over $200,000 per month ($2.4 Million per year) until February 28, 2021.

Of all the rumors and stuff in the media, this one bothers me the most. It’s not that I don’t want him. I would love to have the Tennessee Walz, but he and his team are still in the tournament. Those players don’t want to think about their coach leaving, plus I’m sure that he is going to be asked about it. As any good team, they should be focused on winning the tournament. I would feel the same way if they did this to Kellie.

As someone perhaps closer to the UofL situation than others on here (see the user name), I would suggest that the only way Walz leaves UofL and moves to Knoxville is if the Cards win the NC this season. That's been his goal all along, and this team can certainly do that.

Otherwise, I think he stays in Louisville. His family likes it here, he is well-liked across the city, and the pressure is much lower than it would be at UT.

My $0.02.
Key word “here”. Exchange rate for every Louisville dollar in Knoxville is $.02. You might be right...you’re DEFINITELY biased!

Guy has 3000 followers and is a beat writer for TN sports. He’s legit.

Gene's a good guy, has covered local sports in the Chattanooga/Cleveland area for years. I think he's either from Cleveland or lives there now - maybe he's heard something locally. He's not one to just make stuff up.

EDIT: Sorry my previous post just showed up after several minutes

Reactions: Volstylexx

VN Store

Back