"Losing to LSU is the easiest path to the College Football Playoff for Alabama."

This is all true... but yet, I would say that the luckiest and most undeserving National Champion in the last 40 years was LSU in 2007. That team lost twice to teams who were not that good themselves (Kentucky and Arkansas - who both lost to Tennessee, by the way), and yet, somehow, they made it into the BCS Championship Game vs Ohio State at the end of that season (after a narrow SEC Championship Game win over Tennessee). That was ridiculous.

LSU that year was just pure lucky. Literally every team in front of them choked majorly.

This is all true... but yet, I would say that the luckiest and most undeserving National Champion in the last 40 years was LSU in 2007. That team lost twice to teams who were not that good themselves (Kentucky and Arkansas - who both lost to Tennessee, by the way), and yet, somehow, they made it into the BCS Championship Game vs Ohio State at the end of that season (after a narrow SEC Championship Game win over Tennessee). That was ridiculous.
True. LSU under Les Miles was also an incredibly lucky team, and he was an incredibly lucky coach.

That 2007 season was really weird and there were a lot of non-traditional powers that were in the top 5 at various points in the season. Boston College was #2 in the country briefly that season, as were South Florida and Cal. Late in the season, Kansas and Mizzou were #2 and #3 respectively, but they played each other and Kansas won. Oregon was #2 in the country late in the season, but then lost 3 straight games to unranked teams. Then West Virginia lost a chance to play for the national title by losing to Pitt on the final weekend of the regular season as the #2 team in the country. Kansas then lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, which put them out of the picture, and Oklahoma wasn't in the title picture themselves because they had 2 previous bad losses to Colorado and Texas Tech. It took all of that for LSU to get back into the picture that year. Phew.

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77
LSU that year was just pure lucky. Literally every team in front of them choked majorly.
As lucky as LSU was, you could argue that Ohio St was even luckier. They were #1 coming into the second-to-last game of the season against Illinois, which they lost and then fell to #7 in the country. They beat Michigan the next week and at that time the Big Ten didn't have a conference championship game, so they were idle while teams like LSU, Kansas, etc. played a conference championship game.

The chips fell where they did, they jumped from #7 back to #1 as a result of other teams losing, and played LSU for the title.

True. LSU under Les Miles was also an incredibly lucky team, and he was an incredibly lucky coach.

That 2007 season was really weird and there were a lot of non-traditional powers that were in the top 5 at various points in the season. Boston College was #2 in the country briefly that season, as were South Florida and Cal. Late in the season, Kansas and Mizzou were #2 and #3 respectively, but they played each other and Kansas won. Oregon was #2 in the country late in the season, but then lost 3 straight games to unranked teams. Then West Virginia lost a chance to play for the national title by losing to Pitt on the final weekend of the regular season as the #2 team in the country. Kansas then lost to Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, which put them out of the picture, and Oklahoma wasn't in the title picture themselves because they had 2 previous bad losses to Colorado and Texas Tech. It took all of that for LSU to get back into the picture that year. Phew.
South Carolina was 6-1 and ranked #6 on October 20th. They lost their last 5 games and wound up not even making a bowl game. That same sort of collapse happened to Cal. Cal was 5-0 and ranked #2 on October 13th. They finished 7-6 and played in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Reactions: 05_never_again
As lucky as LSU was, you could argue that Ohio St was even luckier. They were #1 coming into the second-to-last game of the season against Illinois, which they lost and then fell to #7 in the country. They beat Michigan the next week and at that time the Big Ten didn't have a conference championship game, so they were idle while teams like LSU, Kansas, etc. played a conference championship game.

The chips fell where they did, they jumped from #7 back to #1 as a result of other teams losing, and played LSU for the title.

Completely true. I really at one point believed that national championship would actually be Missouri vs West Virginia. How crazy would that of been? Just goes to show some programs just aren't ready to take that next step....Missou, Kansas, West Virginia...all 3 had the national title game staring them in the face.

Still, all in all...I doubt there will ever be another 2007. Has to be the most fun week to week season of all time overall. It was insane, it was truly the season that made me get into college football.

LSU also lost that 3OT game to UK in 2007.

I remember Cal's collapse because I happen to have turned on their game right at the end. They were down 3 and in pretty easy FG range, and they ran one more play to try to score a TD. Their QB took off running instead of throwing it away and with no TOs the clock ran out. I distinctly remember Tedford slamming his playcard down he was so pissed.

LSU also lost that 3OT game to UK in 2007.

I remember Cal's collapse because I happen to have turned on their game right at the end. They were down 3 and in pretty easy FG range, and they ran one more play to try to score a TD. Their QB took off running instead of throwing it away and with no TOs the clock ran out. I distinctly remember Tedford slamming his playcard down he was so pissed.
Tedford had a really interesting tenure at Cal. It looked like he was on the verge of building a west coast power to rival USC and had multiple talented players who went on to NFL greatness (Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, DeSean Jackson) and then it all totally collapsed his last few years. Lee Corso even picke them to win the national championship in 2006, that year we smoked them in the season opener.

Tedford had a really interesting tenure at Cal. It looked like he was on the verge of building a west coast power to rival USC and had multiple talented players who went on to NFL greatness (Aaron Rodgers, Marshawn Lynch, DeSean Jackson) and then it all totally collapsed his last few years. Lee Corso even picke them to win the national championship in 2006, that year we smoked them in the season opener.

When they beat us in the season opener in 2007 and started 5-0, I thought they were going to be legit.

Bama will have basically no impressive wins if they lose to LSU and don’t play in the SECCG. Auburn might have 4 or 5 losses by time season is over

I'd rather have Alabama in the playoff than Georgia. If Alabama wins another one, ho hum, who cares. Georgia hasn't won one in a long time. We need Georgia to stay right where they are, which is a great, incredibly talented team that cannot shake a reputation of not being able to win "the big one."

Cycles are changing. It's time for the other SEC teams to take their place behind UT.

VN Store

Back