Looking to the NCAA Tournament

A few related thoughts,

I remain unconvinced about the overall gains from pairing Key and KK. In some games, the LVs have gotten results but more often than not, it creates imbalances,. We lack an outside shooter who can spread the floor (if Kasi could hit a 3 like Boston, we might have a different story) and that set often has Kasi trying to cover guards in the perimeter which is the definition of bad mismatch and KK is a bit slow to close out on three point shooters (and that is not her fault, she is a classic wide body post being ask to play at the 4 spot).

The post's foul trouble in the Ole Miss game was a blessing in disguise because it forced Kellie to play with one post and a more guard oriented line-up and with Davis's ability to crash the boards (doing so without giving up anything).

Our best five is Key (or KK), Davis, Burrell, Horston, and Walker, then I would rotate in Salary and Suarez who seems to be moving a bit better of late. If I had to go deeper due to fouls or injuries, I would call Darby's number. She is at least a shooting threat.

Disclaimer: The following comments are more critical assessments of players (so read at your own risk):

For the free Emily crowd, she is (right now at this moment) too slow to be on the court. In her brief cameo during the Ole Miss game, she gave up baskets by not being able to track back against more mobile posts. If she wants to contribute, she has a lot of work in front of her. (Much the same for Rennie.)

Jordan Walker - I love her spirit and fight. She makes plays for the team. So there is a lot of upside here but she also makes way too many bad decisions, forcing passes, ill advised contests on taller 3 point shooters which will inevitably lead to a foul call, dribbling into the trees and getting trapped. When the LVs need a calm floor general, she too often looks like she is hitting the panic button. These problems have been going on all season so I am not sure how much can be corrected before the tournament but even a little improvement could make a big difference.

Destiny seems to have hit the freshman wall. She needs to refocus and realize that she can contribute just by being a super pesky perimeter defender, crashing the boards, and making a wide open shot here and there. Don't try to play PG, don't try to be play maker. Keep it simple and do a few things well. We have other players who can create.

Jordan Horston- mostly good stuff here. I think she needs to look for her shot a bit more. She can be as much of a scoring force as Rae. But se needs to not the take bait of not driving too deep in the lane and picking up charges. And for the tournament, I would like to see her play a little more conservative, make the good pass but don't try for the spectacular one (particularly when the LVs have the lead). Empty possessions have been killing the team.

KK and Key. Seriously eat your spinach and wheaties before every game. Play strong. No matter lackadaisical looking, toss it up toward the rim type plays. Go up strong up, exert yourselves. We have seen what you both can do when you play high energy with a level of aggression.
Good comments as always, Madtownvol. Your comments about Jordan Walker are right on, unfortunately so. I remember with horrors a play she made toward the end of the Ole Miss game. She ran into the Ole Miss player who had just received an inbound pass. This gave Ole Miss 2 free throws with no time off the clock. Luckily, this did not cause them to lose the game. However, it was a very bad play. She could have guarded the Ole Miss player without running into her. I kept thinking to myself: Jordan, why did you make such a foolish play?

Reply to glv98
I thought that may be the case. Rennia is actually from my hometown. I am glad I missed any negative posts about her. She is a rock on this team. The player I was talking about is a very good player but has the ability to be a huge difference maker with a little more fire. I love the way this Lady Vol team cares about and supports each other.

Tennessee up to a three seed after Indiana loss.

Lots of ranked teams right around us in the Big 10 did us a solid this year. Great season for us to make it to semis of the SEC tournament. Kellie and staff did a great job of setting us up for success in the tournament. Coming in as 3 seed increase our chances of the Sweet 16 drastically compared to entering as an 11 seed in 2019 🤮.

I think you’re right that all those teams losing probably helps MSST get in. Still think they could be on the outside looking in though. They may opt to give some mid-majors two bids (which I usually don’t care for). Would honestly prefer to see either Ole Miss or LSU in the tourney over MSST. Felt they both played better over the course of the season even though they have more losses than state. They out performed or matched expectations where MSST grossly underperformed. Ole Miss in particular could be fun in the tournament. They have a good enough defense and talented enough offensive players they could make some noise.

Last edited:
Tennessee up to a three seed after Indiana loss.

Potential match-ups based on the latest Bracketology, with Massey projected outcomes:

1st round: (3) Tennessee over (14) Wright State 70-56 (90% chance)
2nd round: (6) Oregon over (3) Tennssee 71-64 (70%) -- yikes! liked that potential 4/5 match-up against Gonzaga better...
OR 2nd round: (3) Tennessee over (11) Wake Forest 70-63 (71%)
Sweet 16: (2) Baylor over (3) Tennessee 72-61 (82%)
OR Sweet 16: (3) Tennessee over (7) South Florida 66-60 (69%)
OR Sweet 16: (3) Tennessee over (10) FGCU 74-67 (71%)

We would be slim favorites over any of the other current projected 6-seeds in the 2nd round (Iowa, Michigan, and Northwestern)...

Potential match-ups based on the latest Bracketology, with Massey projected outcomes:

2nd round: (6) Oregon over (3) Tennssee 71-64 (70%) -- yikes! liked that potential 4/5 match-up against Gonzaga better...

We would be slim favorites over any of the other current projected 6-seeds in the 2nd round (Iowa, Michigan, and Northwestern)...
Iowa and Northwestern are solid 2nd game matches. Both of those teams have a player that can dominate a game. Although Key and KK would have a clear advantage in the post against all 3 teams. Or at least much more height to slow their post game. Facing someone like Clark scares me a little bit though.

Tennessee can take Oregon if PaoPao is still out. They are a different team without her running the point.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back