Looking for Pons to be the biggest surprise of 2019-20 season

Hard to have stats when you’re sitting on the bench. Read the thread
Nice, there was no mention of his stats or his performance on page 6(the page we’re on). His athleticism is still at an elite level. Maybe him getting quality PT can progress him as a player. It worked with Alexander and Schofield.

Nice, there was no mention of his stats or his performance on page 6(the page we’re on). His athleticism is still at an elite level. Maybe him getting quality PT can progress him as a player. It worked with Alexander and Schofield.
Admiral really put it upon himself and did the off-season work regarding his shot and ball handling. Turned himself into a legit guard.
Pons is struggling in a euro summer league that is likely not focusing on this.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Hi numbers were terrible. Even given the level of competition and his limited minutes he had a +/- in the negative and none of his numbers were impressive.. in his best games he literally did nothing. Who knows maybe we don't know the full story and he played the role he was given quite well but at this point I don't see the upside of him playing for France other than a lesson in humility. He was playing against mostly NIT level competition and his numbers there were funny enough about that same as his averages here last year.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I really wondered if he might have been a transfer candidate at some point.

In his latest episode of the College Hoops Today podcast where he interviewed Bruce Pearl, Jon Rothstein named off a few potential breakout players in the SEC this season and said Yves Pons was one of them.

I think we can safely assume Rothstein has no idea what he's talking about here. Would love for him to be right, but man, that seems ridiculously far off base.

A great athlete but great shooters have always been great shooters. That ain't him. He can help in a lot of areas tho, especially defense and on the glass.

I love pons but he looks lost with the ball in his hands if not passing immediately and sometimes looks lost without it. My favorite play is a pons alley oop though!

He'll struggle as the season goes on and people get some game film on him but as long as he stays aggressive on offense and uses his athleticism to be a good two way player then he has every bit the potential to be an impact player for us this season. Great stuff!

Reactions: cardvolfan
With his new found shooting confidence, he’d be killer if he could dribble better. Fake the outside shot then drive to the hole when his guy jumps out to contest.

I was WAY off on Pons during the summer.

I knew he was really athletic and “could” play some D. However he looked skittish to shoot the ball late last season.

He ISIN’T now and looks good on the offense. He should be very proud.
He’s got to do it when in matters. He had some very promising games early last year and regressed.
Let’s hope he’s turned the corner.

The impressive aspect about Pons to me so far is that he seems versatile this season. More than a one trick pony. He is shooting well from both beyond the arc and inside the paint. He is comfortable with the ball in his hands and is trusted with it by his teammates. (This is crazy to me since last season he seemed to be a waste on the floor and looked to get rid of the ball as soon as he touched it.) He is athletic, makes amazing effort plays, rebounds, and blocks for us. No one can outjump him. He truly is a freak of nature right now!

VN Store

Back