Looking for Pons to be the biggest surprise of 2019-20 season

If Pons keeps it up he'll be playing the 3 spot in the pros sooner rather than later. Mechanically he's gone from abysmal to above average. That's all he needs to succeed with that sort of athleticism. Not only can he hit the shots now he looks pretty damn smooth doing so

Really wondered if pons might consider a transfer. If he's still a work in progress at this point, I have to question taking a kid who needs 3 years of seasoning and hoping to get one good year from him.
Welp...
Anyone who thinks Pons is half the player Johnson is isnt paying attention
Are you talking about Jalen Johnson? LOL
All pons really needs to work on is becoming a knock down 3 point shooter. We should always be able to find him as a cutter given how athletic he is. Defensively he just needs to be a little smarter, but that's not really a surprise. If he can average 8 points per game, given how he contributes in other areas, than he will be a solid piece.
Sounds about right. Barnes has done a helluva job on this kid in the 3 mos since the FIBA games...

Pons will improve in all areas of his game, and with his incredible athleticism, he'll be the star of the coming season. A Clyde Drexler type player.
Pons looked more comfortable in the Kansas game than at any point in his college career. If he continues to improve, he'll be one of the top 5 players in the SEC. I started to say "improve at the rate he has so far this season", but I don't think that's possible. If he did, he would be Michael Jordan by the time March rolls around. He was as good as I expected him to be this season @KU. Hope he keeps it up.

Reactions: Billy Ratliff
He's pretty much done as the OP said and improved in all aspects of his game and be one a contributor

He's pretty much done as the OP said and improved in all aspects of his game and be one a contributor
He’s improved in all but rebounding. The rebound from the missed FT by MSU was probably on him. Even when he doesn’t block shots, I feel like his boxouts are worse than they should be. Everything else is pretty great though

Reactions: cncchris33
He’s improved in all but rebounding. The rebound from the missed FT by MSU was probably on him. Even when he doesn’t block shots, I feel like his boxouts are worse than they should be. Everything else is pretty great though
I have complained about his rebounding all year. For someone as big and athletic as he is, and playing as many minutes as he is, he really should be grabbing quite a few more rebounds.

He'd score a lot more if he would look for put back opportunities inside instead of hanging out on the perimeter most of the game trying to get his 1 or 2 three pointers.

Reactions: BreatheUT
He'd score a lot more if he would look for put back opportunities inside instead of hanging out on the perimeter most of the game trying to get his 1 or 2 three pointers.

That’s because it’s what he is told to do, Barnes wants him out there spacing the floor.

Next time you and Barnes are discussing this tell him it's not working.

I’m just telling you what I’m seeing. They want Pons spacing the floor, specifically for Fulky to have space when he gets the ball in the post.

I’m just telling you what I’m seeing. They want Pons spacing the floor, specifically for Fulky to have space when he gets the ball in the post.

It doesn't make much sense to keep the guy that can reach higher on the backboard than anybody else on the roster 25' away from the basket.

Reactions: 3nUTnow
It doesn't make much sense to keep the guy that can reach higher on the backboard than anybody else on the roster 25' away from the basket.

I’m not the basketball coach, but I’d imagine Barnes places more emphasis on spacing with the lack offense than offensive rebounding.

I have complained about his rebounding all year. For someone as big and athletic as he is, and playing as many minutes as he is, he really should be grabbing quite a few more rebounds.
Clearly, Pons reads VolNation. Proud of that guy. That effort on the boards tonight vs Bama was what he should be shooting for night in and night out. 14 pts and 14 rebs. It really is about effort and aggression a lot of times, and he showed plenty of both, tonight, on the glass.

Clearly, Pons reads VolNation. Proud of that guy. That effort on the boards tonight vs Bama was what he should be shooting for night in and night out. 14 pts and 14 rebs. It really is about effort and aggression a lot of times, and he showed plenty of both, tonight, on the glass.

That dudes stock is rising about as fast as anyone in the country

He's bought in big time on the defensive end and offensively he is finally looking to dunk on some folks, his development has been great this season.

He had Petty all kinds of frustrated. He’s got really quick feet for a guy his size

He had Petty all kinds of frustrated. He’s got really quick feet for a guy his size
His on ball defense is really good. He still struggles and gets lost playing team defense (see Petty baseline dunk to cut it to 2 pts late), but he can hang with just about any position, defensively, in one-on-one situations.

He's the last guy that I want to see on the free throw line at the end of close games. Dodged a bullet tonight though.

His on ball defense is really good. He still struggles and gets lost playing team defense (see Petty baseline dunk to cut it to 2 pts late), but he can hang with just about any position, defensively, in one-on-one situations.
Yeah that was a rough one. Bowden and SV both did it tonight too. Crazy how often that happens

VN Store

Back