Listening to the Sports Animal yesterday made me want to puke.

No Dooley didnt have the credentials to be hired here. Not at that time. He rode the coattails of his daddys name.

Another factor for Dooley being hired was that he once ate lunch with Nick Saban. See, if you are associated with Nick Saban, then you have instant credibility as a coach
Kirby Smart. D Dooley, J Pruitt, Jim McElvan etc etc

No Dooley didnt have the credentials to be hired here. Not at that time. He rode the coattails of his daddys name.

I feel that with each successive hire over the last ten plus years the choices are less and less qualified out of the gate by metrics that commonsense dictates, mostly prior head coaching experience at Power 5 schools. Now we are the farthest from that we have ever been, and people seem ok with this guy getting to cut his head coaching teeth at our fine institution. Maybe it will develop into something truly glorious.

Here is the thing about Kiffin for me, he wasnt qualified to be hired here. Now think about it. In 2009, we were 2 years removed from an SECE title. Yes we had 2 losing seasons in the last 4 years, but we were still very relevant nationally. There is no way anyone will ever get me to believe that we couldnt have gotten a really good coach to come in 2009.

This brings it all home to idiocy and cheapness. It also screams of Haslam using the dunce Hamilton like a puppet to do his bidding. So we end up with a loser in Kiffin. A never before HC in college whom had a disasterous time in the NFL. But I will give him some credit, he did better than most thought and at least won 7 games.

So after that what happens? Again, UT is still relevant. We almost beat #1 Alabama that year. It took the game of a lifetime by mount Cody for them to beat us. UT shoukd have been able to attract a good coach. And Hamilton hires Derek Dooley. A guy who had a 17-20 in college as a head coach. The rest is history.

Agree with you BOT. When Bama was down, well below their standards, Mal Moore made a ballsy move down there. Basically told the Bama boosters and the Admin (academic) he could get Saban to Tuscaloosa, but they had to get the hell out of his and Saban's way. Made it clear that the football program was the front door step to that University and a rising Tide lifts all boats at that school (think $$). THEY believe that down at Alabama. Everyone now knows their place and their role in ensuring the success at Bama. People don't realize how the horrible business decisions by boosters, academic/athletic admin have botched this thing around here for ten years now. Things don't get better till everyone over there on that campus understands what their role is and isn't. Hopefully Fulmer and Pruitt are a step in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree with you BOT. When Bama was down, well below their standards, Mal Moore made a ballsy move down there. Basically told the Bama boosters and the Admin (academic) he could get Saban to Tuscaloosa, but they had to get the hell out of his and Saban's way. Made it clear that the football program was the front door step to that University and a rising Tide lifts all boats at that school (think $$). THEY believe that down at Alabama. Everyone now knows their place and their role in ensuring the success at Bama. People don't realize how the horrible business decisions by boosters, academic/athletic admin have botched this thing around here for ten years now. Things don't get better till everyone over there on that campus understands what their role is and isn't. Hopefully Fulmer and Pruitt are a step in the right direction.

The college football world was shocked at how much Bama paid Saban and has continued to pay him. And you could easily argue he's underpaid for what he's delivered and meant for the university.

Reactions: 1 person
The college football world was shocked at how much Bama paid Saban and has continued to pay him. And you could easily argue he's underpaid for what he's delivered and meant for the university.

UT administration and boosters would have never developed that kind of vision. I dislike Alabama to the hilt. But they have a vision to be the best in the country and put their money where their mouth is.

And playing by the rules down there is another matter. But when you tell the SEC office how to run their business you can pretty much do what you want.

If I were a reporter for the NY Times, Washington Post, or 60 Minutes and I wanted to make a name for myself my first stop would be Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

/reads thread title

I had to ask myself....did they bring Micky Dearstone back out of early retirement? Checked, and the answer is no. Phew, I can breathe easy again.

The morning show is still hot garbage though.

VN Store

Back