Listening to the Sports Animal yesterday made me want to puke.

First mistake is listening to the Sports Animal... listen to Swain... or Basilio...

Has nothing to do with it. It’s all day sports radio in the football off season. These guys are trying to fill 12 + hours of programming when none of your major sports aren’t playing a single game.

Some clown showed his ass the other day, blasting them for talking about soccer. I’m like, what hell else are they going to talk about right now? I hate soccer, but I’m not an idiot.

Lol. You really believe thay UT has ever been in real financial trouble? No it didnt spend itself almost broke. Its never been about money at UT in the sense you are thinkng. There is tons of money for UT to spend. There were rumors of wanting to give Gruden 10 million. Funny how thats what the Raiders gave him.

Look at the top programs. They pay their coaches and staff. Why? Because they know what they will get in return. Now while Pruitt is not a proven HC, we literally had no choice given the circumstances. Currie was a complete idiot. We are lucky we got Pruitt imo.

We had a choice. We chose to listen to Haslam and allow our entire search to be botched. One man who makes consistently terrible sports decisions shouldn’t be allowed to make sports decisions anymore. Yet he’s still using Vols like its his college fantasy football team.

Reactions: 1 person
Im sure that was a list off the top of his head. Lol...

I am sure there are plenty of first time head coaches out there throughout the years in the college ranks.

Yes but there is a longer list of failures. Let’s hope our guy can be successful, but it’s a wait and see thing. We think we might have some decent players, but our competition is tough. We were gosh awful last season.

I agree, we have heard enough of what we didn't do last year. I think some do not have any thing else to say, and they have to make a living saying something. Enough of not winning a SEC game last year. We now have a coaching staff with multiple NC rings. I choose to believe this will be a better year, with even better years to follow.

Butch Jones Derrick Dooley and Lane Kiffin had all been head coaches before. Phil Fulmer was the last Tennessee coach who wasn’t. Glad we are trying something different this time.

We had a choice. We chose to listen to Haslam and allow our entire search to be botched. One man who makes consistently terrible sports decisions shouldn’t be allowed to make sports decisions anymore. Yet he’s still using Vols like its his college fantasy football team.

Pruitt wasnt a Haslam decision. At least thats a step in the right direction. But I get what you are saying. The hard truth is we probably will not get rid of Haslam until he is no longer on this earth. The other big donors would easily be able to pick up any slack from his abscence but they dont want to. So we end up with Kiffin, Dooley and Butch. It is what it is.

At least Pruitt knows something about the SEC and what it takes compared to Dooley and Jones who knew nothing about this level of football. There will be plenty of opinions formed after we play a few games this season about whether Pruitt has what it takes to win in the SEC. Until then guess everyone should chill until he at least coaches a few games. Hard to say much about a guy that is yet to coach even one game. As a Coordinator he was awesome hopefully he will continue to be as a head coach.

At least Pruitt knows something about the SEC and what it takes compared to Dooley and Jones who knew nothing about this level of football. There will be plenty of opinions formed after we play a few games this season about whether Pruitt has what it takes to win in the SEC. Until then guess everyone should chill until he at least coaches a few games. Hard to say much about a guy that is yet to coach even one game. As a Coordinator he was awesome hopefully he will continue to be as a head coach.

You realize Dools coached under Saban at LSU from 00-04.

Neither one of them should have ever been hired.

I will say this about Kiffin.

I didn't like the guy from the word go. He wasn't a Tennessee guy, he was a west coast USC guy. That's enough not to like him. Further he was/is about as mature as a 15 year old. He acts like a kid.

That said, during his year here if you saw something one week that wasn't working it would be fixed by the next week. The team progressed as the year moved on and got better. Jonathan Crompton wasn't worth 2 hoots till Kiffin's crew got ahold of him. Now, I'm not sure if Monte was running the show and doing the fixing, or Ed Ogeron, or who it was.

When Dooley came here 3 12 men on the field penalties killed us the first year. I guarantee under Kiffin if we'd have lost a game from the 1st one, the next week there would have been a dozen 3rd stringers and 4 assistant coaches tasked with counting people from the sideline to make damn sure that didn't happen again.

For all his faults and his smart California mouth, I give Kiffin credit.

I even think as bad as Dooley was he was better than Butch. Butch's teams played their best ball the 1st game of the season and grew no more as players through the season which is why his teams lost to the doormats 3 times. A good coach can take a mediocre player and get him going by midway through the season. Butch took good players and made them worse as the season wore on.

Dooley had the credentials (SEC and NFL experience) and the pedigree (son of Vince Dooley). Folks were drooling over this and before even coaching a game they were worried he’d eventually leave for UGA. Doesn’t mean anything until you prove it on gameday.

Dooley had the credentials (SEC and NFL experience) and the pedigree (son of Vince Dooley). Folks were drooling over this and before even coaching a game they were worried he’d eventually leave for UGA. Doesn’t mean anything until you prove it on gameday.

Yep, Dools leaving for UGA and Butch leaving for Michigan were real fears on here. :loco:

For every successful first-time head coach, there are just as many or more failures...

Ellis Jonson
Brian Vangorder
Rob Ianello
Greg Robinson
Mike Locksley
Charlie Weis
Jack Crowe
Kevin Steele
Tom Holmoe
Carl Franks
Joe Krivak
Randy Shannon
Bobby Williams
John Blake
Paul Hackett

That's not to say that Pruitt was a bad hire, but hiring an unproven coordinator to be HC is always more of a gamble than hiring someone with HC experience.

Is it hard to beleive that not one proven head coach wanted the job at Tennessee?:popcorn:

Swain appeared on 104.5 Nashville afternoon show yesterday and they talked about discrepancies in rankings on different recruiting services. I couldn't figure out if they lifted the discussion straight from a VN thread or vice versa?

Is it hard to beleive that not one proven head coach wanted the job at Tennessee?:popcorn:

Money talks.

The point I was making, was that there's nothing inherent about being a good coordinator, that indicates probable success as a HC. Hopefully Pruitt ends up on the other list, and not the list that I posted.

First of all they kept reminding me that we've lost to the doormats 4 out of the last 6 years.

Then they kept reminding me we signed an unproven coach who's never been a head coach anywhere to a 3.5 million/year 6 year deal.

Then they emphasized we are in the bottom tier of a 3 tier SEC football conference.

Never in my lifetime would I have thought it would be questionable as to "Can we beat Kentucky and the Doormats."

The truth hurts.

I like Ainge, but listening to Heather Harrington talk makes me want to jump through a double pane glass window. Most of em are a bunch of John Adams wannabes.

I disagree. It was Bama and THE REST for pretty much the whole 70’s. And little to no roster or class number restrictions.

That's exactly the point though. Back then there was ONE good team in the SEC. If you could beat them you were golden. Now a days it's a gauntlet of top25 every year. And it's not always the same teams. Also with the restrictions on recruiting you can't load up your class like you could back then which makes it even tougher today to rebuild your football team if it falls on hard times.

I will say this about Kiffin.

I didn't like the guy from the word go. He wasn't a Tennessee guy, he was a west coast USC guy. That's enough not to like him. Further he was/is about as mature as a 15 year old. He acts like a kid.

That said, during his year here if you saw something one week that wasn't working it would be fixed by the next week. The team progressed as the year moved on and got better. Jonathan Crompton wasn't worth 2 hoots till Kiffin's crew got ahold of him. Now, I'm not sure if Monte was running the show and doing the fixing, or Ed Ogeron, or who it was.

When Dooley came here 3 12 men on the field penalties killed us the first year. I guarantee under Kiffin if we'd have lost a game from the 1st one, the next week there would have been a dozen 3rd stringers and 4 assistant coaches tasked with counting people from the sideline to make damn sure that didn't happen again.

For all his faults and his smart California mouth, I give Kiffin credit.

I even think as bad as Dooley was he was better than Butch. Butch's teams played their best ball the 1st game of the season and grew no more as players through the season which is why his teams lost to the doormats 3 times. A good coach can take a mediocre player and get him going by midway through the season. Butch took good players and made them worse as the season wore on.

Here is the thing about Kiffin for me, he wasnt qualified to be hired here. Now think about it. In 2009, we were 2 years removed from an SECE title. Yes we had 2 losing seasons in the last 4 years, but we were still very relevant nationally. There is no way anyone will ever get me to believe that we couldnt have gotten a really good coach to come in 2009.

This brings it all home to idiocy and cheapness. It also screams of Haslam using the dunce Hamilton like a puppet to do his bidding. So we end up with a loser in Kiffin. A never before HC in college whom had a disasterous time in the NFL. But I will give him some credit, he did better than most thought and at least won 7 games.

So after that what happens? Again, UT is still relevant. We almost beat #1 Alabama that year. It took the game of a lifetime by mount Cody for them to beat us. UT shoukd have been able to attract a good coach. And Hamilton hires Derek Dooley. A guy who had a 17-20 in college as a head coach. The rest is history.

Reactions: 2 people

No Dooley didnt have the credentials to be hired here. Not at that time. He rode the coattails of his daddys name.

Reactions: 2 people
Here is the thing about Kiffin for me, he wasnt qualified to be hired here. Now think about it. In 2009, we were 2 years removed from an SECE title. Yes we had 2 losing seasons in the last 4 years, but we were still very relevant nationally. There is no way anyone will ever get me to believe that we couldnt have gotten a really good coach to come in 2009.

This brings it all home to idiocy and cheapness. It also screams of Haslam using the dunce Hamilton like a puppet to do his bidding. So we end up with a loser in Kiffin. A never before HC in college whom had a disasterous time in the NFL. But I will give him some credit, he did better than most thought and at least won 7 games.

So after that what happens? Again, UT is still relevant. We almost beat #1 Alabama that year. It took the game of a lifetime by mount Cody for them to beat us. UT shoukd have been able to attract a good coach. And Hamilton hires Derek Dooley. A guy who had a 17-20 in college as a head coach. The rest is history.

I'm pretty sure UT's football payroll was "up there" in 2009. UT didn't go cheap with the Kiffin hire.

First of all they kept reminding me that we've lost to the doormats 4 out of the last 6 years.

Then they kept reminding me we signed an unproven coach who's never been a head coach anywhere to a 3.5 million/year 6 year deal.

Then they emphasized we are in the bottom tier of a 3 tier SEC football conference.

Never in my lifetime would I have thought it would be questionable as to "Can we beat Kentucky and the Doormats."

The truth hurts.

It all started when Fulmer became complacent and when Cutcliffe left
At least it was a gradual fall

VN Store

Back