Listening to the Sports Animal yesterday made me want to puke.

Being back and actually winning are different things. We can have one hell of a good football team but if we dont out recruit the big boys in the sec we won't beat them on the field which I think was the point. It's much harder to actually win in the sec today than it was back then.

I disagree. It was Bama and THE REST for pretty much the whole 70’s. And little to no roster or class number restrictions.

That radio station is a complete joke. They constantly dog the vols with backhanded complements. Some bs like "I really think this is a good team, we should go 6-4" I know we need to be realistic but come on. I stopped listening to them a while ago.

Reactions: 1 person
Any one else noticed that just like few picked up on PF as a head coach after his time on The Hill that nobody was very eager to sign Les Myles after his tenure down on The Bayou? Coaches probably have a use by date regarding age.

The way I see it,after our fiasco of a coaching search there were not many "proven successful" head coaches willing to come here at the time. Getting a successful coordinator has about the same odds as who was left that was willing to come here. I really hope (and think) Pruitt can do the job.

Now here is where the disagreement starts,y'all can name all the "bigtime" coaches you want but I really believe they would not come here for various reasons.

They might have considered it if we asked and offered the money necessary. Richest school in the SEC didn’t try for an elite tier coach.

Our last new head coach with no outright head coaching experience.....Phillip Fulmer. I'll take my chances! 👍

The one before that was Bill Battle in 1970 who went 10-1 and beat an undefeated Air Force in the 1971 Sugar Bowl. And by the way that team was predicted to go 5-5.

The Sports Animal is almost as negative as Basilio is delerious.

Every time 'bama was on TV while Kirby was the DC, all the commentators raved about how he was going to be a great head coach some day. So, Pruitt has 5 NC rings as a DC, but those same commentators question why he was hired? Does seem to me there is some bias against Tennessee from those blowhards. I like the staff Pruitt put together, a maniac for S & C that already has the guys showing gains, and most importantly, knowledge from being the DC for two good or great programs, especially from Saban. Realistically, he could be a gigantic flop, but this guy knows football, has been a winner all his life. I think we're in good hands.

As the old saying goes, you get what you ask for whether you want it or not.

DON'T BE TOLERANT OR "PATIENT". Have high expectations and don't make excuses. Expect high performance.

The "right coach" is going to consistently beat the teams he's supposed to beat... the ones where his team is more talented. That will almost if not always include Vandy, USCe, UK, and Mizzou. Then he needs to win more than his share of the "even" games... and he should show up every time and win some games where he's an underdog.

I believe I said Jones should have won 7 regular season games in his first year to indicate he was the right guy. People went nuts over expecting too much and all that. In the end, the same inability to get the most out of a roster that prevented those other two wins in year one... consistently showed up.

So... here goes. I like Pruitt. He sounds like a coach rather than a used car salesman, a personal injury lawyer, or a punk. But to point the arrow toward him being "the guy" he needs to beat the three cupcake OOC teams, UK, Vandy, Mizzou, and then one or two of UF, USCe, or WVU.

IMHO, less than 7 wins... he's probably not the right guy either and especially if coupled with some blowout losses. If the team shows up and gets 7 or 8 wins then he probably is the guy and especially if he avoids blowout losses.

Yeah... it really does matter how a team like this plays in losses. Not "moral victories" but a measure of attitude and character.... Not to mention the coaching ability of the staff. Great coaches coach great without respect to how much talent they have or lack. They get the most out of what they got.

Reactions: 3 people
Every time 'bama was on TV while Kirby was the DC, all the commentators raved about how he was going to be a great head coach some day. So, Pruitt has 5 NC rings as a DC, but those same commentators question why he was hired? Does seem to me there is some bias against Tennessee from those blowhards. I like the staff Pruitt put together, a maniac for S & C that already has the guys showing gains, and most importantly, knowledge from being the DC for two good or great programs, especially from Saban. Realistically, he could be a gigantic flop, but this guy knows football, has been a winner all his life. I think we're in good hands.

IMO, it may not be so much about Pruitt, but the Coaching search story and wringing out of it as much as they can.

I don't so much have a problem with hiring Coach Pruitt. I do have a problem with the money involved.

Tennessee spent itself darn near broke hiring Kiffin and Company and paying Phillip's buyout.

Then we turned around and ended up with Dooley because we were broke and that was the best we could afford at the time. Still, even for him we raised his pay from under $500,000 as coach of the Southwestern, Northeast, Technical College school he came from to 2.5 Million on a 5 year contract. It didn't work out and we had to buy him out. At that point we were paying for 3 coaches and hired the only coach to Dooley beat to replace him. 4 years later we buy him out.

We now have an unknown quantity with a contract commiserate with a seasoned proven veteran. No, it's not the 7.8 million Nick Satan is pulling down but it's almost halfway there with a 6 million guarantee. If it doesn't work out in 3 years we are probably going to be out 12 to 15 million buying him out preventing us from hiring a proven guy and we'll end up settling for another experiment at an inflated price because "Nobody wants to come to UT."

The people running this show have absolutely no common business sense. They have dug this program a 5000' deep hole and given it a 2 step step ladder to climb out on. The Jim Clayton type people that used to run the show down there understood what the program meant to Knoxville and how to sell it and run it. There's not a way in heck that UT would be opening every season in anyplace other than Knoxville.

I don't so much have a problem with hiring Coach Pruitt. I do have a problem with the money involved.

Tennessee spent itself darn near broke hiring Kiffin and Company and paying Phillip's buyout.

Then we turned around and ended up with Dooley because we were broke and that was the best we could afford at the time. Still, even for him we raised his pay from under $500,000 as coach of the Southwestern, Northeast, Technical College school he came from to 2.5 Million on a 5 year contract. It didn't work out and we had to buy him out. At that point we were paying for 3 coaches and hired the only coach to Dooley beat to replace him. 4 years later we buy him out.

We now have an unknown quantity with a contract commiserate with a seasoned proven veteran. No, it's not the 7.8 million Nick Satan is pulling down but it's almost halfway there with a 6 million guarantee. If it doesn't work out in 3 years we are probably going to be out 12 to 15 million buying him out preventing us from hiring a proven guy and we'll end up settling for another experiment at an inflated price because "Nobody wants to come to UT."

The people running this show have absolutely no common business sense. They have dug this program a 5000' deep hole and given it a 2 step step ladder to climb out on. The Jim Clayton type people that used to run the show down there understood what the program meant to Knoxville and how to sell it and run it. There's not a way in heck that UT would be opening every season in anyplace other than Knoxville.

Not busting your chops but I think there was an article posted here not long ago saying UT was one of the richest AD's in the NCAA...

UT isn't spending money well... but they aren't out of line with other major programs either. Pruitt is probably lower 3rd in the SEC right now.

It seems that there is something about UT athletics that really turns the cream of the crop coaching choices off. Even the Purdue guy couldn't be convinced. It took a while to get down to Pruitt on the list, and what would have been the next move if he said no? Maybe it all comes down to money, but there seems to be something broken in the AD.

Lol. You really believe thay UT has ever been in real financial trouble? No it didnt spend itself almost broke. Its never been about money at UT in the sense you are thinkng. There is tons of money for UT to spend. There were rumors of wanting to give Gruden 10 million. Funny how thats what the Raiders gave him.

Look at the top programs. They pay their coaches and staff. Why? Because they know what they will get in return. Now while Pruitt is not a proven HC, we literally had no choice given the circumstances. Currie was a complete idiot. We are lucky we got Pruitt imo.

It seems that there is something about UT athletics that really turns the cream of the crop coaching choices off. Even the Purdue guy couldn't be convinced. It took a while to get down to Pruitt on the list, and what would have been the next move if he said no? Maybe it all comes down to money, but there seems to be something broken in the AD.

Other than Gary Patterson, what cream of the crop coach has UT even pursued since Fulmer?

Lol. You really believe thay UT has ever been in real financial trouble? No it didnt spend itself almost broke. Its never been about money at UT in the sense you are thinkng. There is tons of money for UT to spend. There were rumors of wanting to give Gruden 10 million. Funny how thats what the Raiders gave him.

Look at the top programs. They pay their coaches and staff. Why? Because they know what they will get in return. Now while Pruitt is not a proven HC, we literally had no choice given the circumstances. Currie was a complete idiot. We are lucky we got Pruitt imo.

You're misinformed. Before Hart was able to refinance some debt, the UTAD was dangerously close to defaulting on loan payments on the Neyland Stadium west side renovation and the Anderson Training Center. There were months that employees were not permitted to even order copy paper and other office supplies in 2011 and 2012.

UT did indeed nearly spend itself broke under the complete mismanagment of Mike Hamilton, which is why he was let go.

Reactions: 3 people
You're misinformed. Before Hart was able to refinance some debt, the UTAD was dangerously close to defaulting on loan payments on the Neyland Stadium west side renovation and the Anderson Training Center. There were months that employees were not permitted to even order copy paper and other office supplies in 2011 and 2012.

UT did indeed nearly spend itself broke under the complete mismanagment of Mike Hamilton, which is why he was let go.

Everybody likes to blame Hamilton, but fact remains that he was under supervision by his superiors and they let it get to that point. His direct management negligence deserves severance, but superiors always get away with scapegoating their subordinates.

Where is accountability at the top in this protective layer of political bureaucracy of the institution?

Everybody likes to blame Hamilton, but fact remains that he was under supervision by his superiors and they let it get to that point. His direct management negligence deserves severance, but superiors always get away with scapegoating their subordinates.

Where is accountability at the top in this protective layer of political bureaucracy of the institution?

On the contrary, his only superior, the chancellor, was replaced early in his tenure, then Jimmy Cheek took over as chancellor and Hamilton was gone within two years.

As the old saying goes, you get what you ask for whether you want it or not.

DON'T BE TOLERANT OR "PATIENT". Have high expectations and don't make excuses. Expect high performance.

The "right coach" is going to consistently beat the teams he's supposed to beat... the ones where his team is more talented. That will almost if not always include Vandy, USCe, UK, and Mizzou. Then he needs to win more than his share of the "even" games... and he should show up every time and win some games where he's an underdog.

I believe I said Jones should have won 7 regular season games in his first year to indicate he was the right guy. People went nuts over expecting too much and all that. In the end, the same inability to get the most out of a roster that prevented those other two wins in year one... consistently showed up.

So... here goes. I like Pruitt. He sounds like a coach rather than a used car salesman, a personal injury lawyer, or a punk. But to point the arrow toward him being "the guy" he needs to beat the three cupcake OOC teams, UK, Vandy, Mizzou, and then one or two of UF, USCe, or WVU.

IMHO, less than 7 wins... he's probably not the right guy either and especially if coupled with some blowout losses. If the team shows up and gets 7 or 8 wins then he probably is the guy and especially if he avoids blowout losses.

Yeah... it really does matter how a team like this plays in losses. Not "moral victories" but a measure of attitude and character.... Not to mention the coaching ability of the staff. Great coaches coach great without respect to how much talent they have or lack. They get the most out of what they got.

I think this is a pretty good assessment. I remember being upset Butch’s first Florida game, because I think we were pretty even talent wise and we kept running that fast paced offense and in that game we needed to slow it down and we would have had a chance at the end. I also felt the same about the Vandy game that year, but I thought we were actually more talented.

I admit however, I was somewhat blinded by the USC win that year, and should have realized the old saying ‘even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.”

First of all they kept reminding me that we've lost to the doormats 4 out of the last 6 years.

Then they kept reminding me we signed an unproven coach who's never been a head coach anywhere to a 3.5 million/year 6 year deal.

Then they emphasized we are in the bottom tier of a 3 tier SEC football conference.

Never in my lifetime would I have thought it would be questionable as to "Can we beat Kentucky and the Doormats."

The truth hurts.

Something for the players to listen to every time they come in the locker room to get dressed.

If I'm not bad mistaken the academic side had to loan the athletic department a dump truck full of money at that time because the Athletic Department was broke. The Academic side kept apologizing for it and trying to say it would pay them dividends later on. That might have been when Butch was hired. I don't exactly remember the year, just the conversation.

VN Store

Back