Listening to the Sports Animal yesterday made me want to puke.

First of all they kept reminding me that we've lost to the doormats 4 out of the last 6 years.

Then they kept reminding me we signed an unproven coach who's never been a head coach anywhere to a 3.5 million/year 6 year deal.

Then they emphasized we are in the bottom tier of a 3 tier SEC football conference.

Never in my lifetime would I have thought it would be questionable as to "Can we beat Kentucky and

The truth hurts.

On the bright side, at least there's not four tiers.

Id much rather have a proven coordinator that has worked at high level schools than a proven coach from a lower tier school anyday. The coordinators from the sec have seen first hand what types of players and schemes need to be ran in order to win consistently while the coaches from lower tier schools will bring with them the strategies that worked for them against other lower tier schools which does not always translate (Butch Jones). In my opinion taking a coach like that is a bigger gamble than taking a successful sec coordinator. In fact, the last coach we had to win us any kind of championship was a coordinator while the next three were coaches with head coaching experience. We all know how that turned out.

Reactions: 2 people
The world is full of negative people. Just look at the Twitter garbage. Fact is, Georgia hired an unproven assistant as well as many others who have had great success. Fulmer was an unproven head coach when he took over in the 90s and led the Vols to a successful decade of dominance and a NC. If you like negativity, then listen to them. If you don't, turn them off.

Fulmer was not unproven as a head coach when he was hired. He had filled in for Johnny Majors while he was off with his heart attack.

Phillip was also not paid anywhere near 1 million a year when he was first hired. I can't remember exactly but I don't think it was even $500,000 to begin with. He and Pat Summit got million dollar contracts around the same time.

These days they advertise this thing where you can buy a car online from your phone and pick it and I suppose your payment book up at a car vending machine. No test driving involved. Seems like a pretty dumb idea to me. Sign up for 5 years of payments on $60,000 worth of vehicle sight unseen. That's what UT has done here. Signed up for 6 years of 3.5 Million Dollar payments sight unseen. Find out it doesn't work out and UT is once again like that guy that owes $55,000 on a car that books for only $40,000. It's going to cost them big time to trade it in.

I could understand going and getting Jimbo Fisher and having to pay big time money and multi year contracts. He's got name recognition, a proven record, and high expectations.

Jeremy Pruitt has no such name recognition. He'd only been at Alabama 1 year. He has no track record to draw from, and to be honest when they start talking about potentially going 4 and 8 that's a pretty damned low expectation.

From a common business sense of mind, why not offer this guy a 1 million dollar contract with performance incentives to give him 3.5 million if he goes 8 and 4 and makes a bowl and ends up in the top 20. Make the buyout about 2 million to be re-negotiated in 2 years.

You say, "He won't come for that." Well, do we really need an unproven guy? I bet you could get the Carson Newman coach for that and he's at least proven he can coach just hasn't got a shot at the big leagues. He's also used to recruiting Tennessee kids.

It couldn't be any worse of a "Deal" than what we have now. I hope Pruitt works out but in my 50 years I've not seen UT football in this sort of mess.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch was a "proven" HC . . . how did that crap work out for us??

I happen to feel more confident in CJP's hire than any other since CFP was shown the door.

Why, you ask? Simple, a former HC hired CJP . . . CPF - a former player at UT, former Assist. at UT, HC at UT, has a Natty at UT AND is a member of College Football Hall of Fame.

Nugh said.

GBO

Unfortunately for us all, your 'feelings' don't have an impact on Pruitt's ability to be the HC of a major college football program.

Mighty short list of coaches in the grand scheme of things.

Left out the best example...Bob Stoops. Hotshot successful SEC DC with a national title, (Pruitt has two as a DC...5 in all). Took over a rundown Sooners team that the previous HC had recruited well for but couldn’t develop, and proceeded to win a NC in his second season. Didn’t see Jim Peterson on the list either.

We signed a committed, talented, proven Coach / DC who Doug Mathews is correctly comparing to a former proven OC, CPF.

For now, imo -- spend some time listing to Coach Doug Mathews.

But we did hire an unproven guy. I like to live in the reality. If he wins hes a good hire. If he loses we find another. Nothing from tn makes me think we do things right. Fulmer is the only hire that I felt was a winner.

Fulmer was not unproven as a head coach when he was hired. He had filled in for Johnny Majors while he was off with his heart attack.

Phillip was also not paid anywhere near 1 million a year when he was first hired. I can't remember exactly but I don't think it was even $500,000 to begin with. He and Pat Summit got million dollar contracts around the same time.

These days they advertise this thing where you can buy a car online from your phone and pick it and I suppose your payment book up at a car vending machine. No test driving involved. Seems like a pretty dumb idea to me. Sign up for 5 years of payments on $60,000 worth of vehicle sight unseen. That's what UT has done here. Signed up for 6 years of 3.5 Million Dollar payments sight unseen. Find out it doesn't work out and UT is once again like that guy that owes $55,000 on a car that books for only $40,000. It's going to cost them big time to trade it in.

I could understand going and getting Jimbo Fisher and having to pay big time money and multi year contracts. He's got name recognition, a proven record, and high expectations.

Jeremy Pruitt has no such name recognition. He'd only been at Alabama 1 year. He has no track record to draw from, and to be honest when they start talking about potentially going 4 and 8 that's a pretty damned low expectation.

From a common business sense of mind, why not offer this guy a 1 million dollar contract with performance incentives to give him 3.5 million if he goes 8 and 4 and makes a bowl and ends up in the top 20. Make the buyout about 2 million to be re-negotiated in 2 years.

You say, "He won't come for that." Well, do we really need an unproven guy? I bet you could get the Carson Newman coach for that and he's at least proven he can coach just hasn't got a shot at the big leagues. He's also used to recruiting Tennessee kids.

It couldn't be any worse of a "Deal" than what we have now. I hope Pruitt works out but in my 50 years I've not seen UT football in this sort of mess.

Which welfare Wikipedia are you accessing? :huh: He’s been at Bama since 2006, cepting the year he took off to win a NC at FSU with a number one ranked defense and a couple at UGA where he improved their defense to elite levels. Been back at Bama as DC for the last TWO seasons and TWO NC games. In my 48 years, I remember the mess Bill Battle left and that Majors struggled with for 5 seasons as way worse.

But we did hire an unproven guy. I like to live in the reality. If he wins hes a good hire. If he loses we find another. Nothing from tn makes me think we do things right. Fulmer is the only hire that I felt was a winner.

That's pretty much where I'm at on the hire until he starts coaching games, and even then it's year two what I'm most concerned with.

That's because Tennessee has never been in this sort of mess. We just had our worst season in program history and are in our longest SEC championship drought in program history.

And with the current lay of the land, it will be much, much harder to get back to the top then it was back in the 70s when we were down.

The way I see it,after our fiasco of a coaching search there were not many "proven successful" head coaches willing to come here at the time. Getting a successful coordinator has about the same odds as who was left that was willing to come here. I really hope (and think) Pruitt can do the job.

Now here is where the disagreement starts,y'all can name all the "bigtime" coaches you want but I really believe they would not come here for various reasons.

I’m not worried about JP being a 1st time HC. There is nothing he has to do as a HC that he hasn’t done as a DC except all the garbage non football related stuff.

He seems smart enough to delegate. We just have to wait and see how he owns it. I expect he stands by the decisions he allows his staff to make and he will be fine as a HC.

Football is his wheel house. It’s the politics he is newer to.

That's because Tennessee has never been in this sort of mess. We just had our worst season in program history and are in our longest SEC championship drought in program history.

And with the current lay of the land, it will be much, much harder to get back to the top then it was back in the 70s when we were down.

Hire the right guy and two stud recruiting classes and you’re back. In the 70’s recruiting was nowhere near as sophisticated

Maybe UT has to pay so much because of the downside. It's like the saying, "Life is like a "poop" sandwich. The more bread you got, the less "poop" you gotta eat!".

First of all they kept reminding me that we've lost to the doormats 4 out of the last 6 years.

Then they kept reminding me we signed an unproven coach who's never been a head coach anywhere to a 3.5 million/year 6 year deal.

Then they emphasized we are in the bottom tier of a 3 tier SEC football conference.

Never in my lifetime would I have thought it would be questionable as to "Can we beat Kentucky and the Doormats."

The truth hurts.

So, stop listening to the Sports Animal. I did, and it practically cured my acid reflux.

When the university of Tennessee starts demanding excellence in everything connected to it's athletics program (including what journalists are granted access), then we can get back to being proud of the Vols.

Reactions: 3 people
I listen to the swainevent on the orangeandwhitereport.com dailey.Being here in fla.,I don't have a phone that would let me get the app.That being said,I haven't seen the swainevent for July9 or the swainevent onJuly 10 or 11 listed in orangeandwhitehreport.Has something happened to the show?If somebody could let me know in volnation,I would greatly appreciate it.

I listen to the swainevent on the orangeandwhitereport.com dailey.Being here in fla.,I don't have a phone that would let me get the app.That being said,I haven't seen the swainevent for July9 or the swainevent onJuly 10 or 11 listed in orangeandwhitehreport.Has something happened to the show?If somebody could let me know in volnation,I would greatly appreciate it.

You can access it here.

The Swain Event | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hire the right guy and two stud recruiting classes and you’re back. In the 70’s recruiting was nowhere near as sophisticated

Being back and actually winning are different things. We can have one hell of a good football team but if we dont out recruit the big boys in the sec we won't beat them on the field which I think was the point. It's much harder to actually win in the sec today than it was back then.

Yes, how in the world can they sign an unproven head coach that has never been a head coach?

Regards,

Mark Richt
Phil Fulmer
Dan Mullen
Bob Stoops
Jimbo Fisher
Kirby Smart
Dabo Sweeny
Barry Switzer
Robert Neyland
Gary Patterson

Oh, and Vince Lombardi.

Yes, how in the world can they sign an unproven head coach that has never been a head coach?

Regards,

Mark Richt
Phil Fulmer
Dan Mullen
Bob Stoops
Jimbo Fisher
Kirby Smart
Dabo Sweeny
Barry Switzer
Robert Neyland
Gary Patterson

In fact, every HC coach was hired by someone as a HC for the first time. Some have more potential than others and I like the potential of the one we just hired.

VN Store

Back