$58 Million Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovation Details

AllVolinGA

VOL by birth
I have followed the Vols baseball team for many years. I always see folks make negative comments about the stadium. Would some of the more enlightened care to explain the real and the perceived shortcomings of LNS? Thanks and I look forward to the discussion.

I have followed the Vols baseball team for many years. I always see folks make negative comments about the stadium. Would some of the more enlightened care to explain the real and the perceived shortcomings of LNS? Thanks and I look forward to the discussion.
Front of it looks awful, old. Needs facelift. Needs luxury boxes, has none. Needs seating under cover in case of rain. Needs to be modernized.

We have reputation for having some of the worst baseball facilities in the SEC. Hard to recruit when literally everyone else has better facilities or other $$$ advantages (Vandy)

Thru the CDS era and into the CTV era, there have been some improvements, padding on the walls/fence, obviously the new turf, scoreboard, more protective netting down 1st and 3rd, and the porch in RF and the 3rd base patio area.

Much work beyond what one can see went on with the field, weight room and VIP hospitality room.

All that said, the concourse could be updated as well as the facade. With the current footprint of LNS, I am not sure we can catch up with some of our SEC brethren, but if CTV can keep improving then maybe the Admin will be forced to address the inadequacy.

All in all though, I have a great time at the ball park.

We have reputation for having some of the worst baseball facilities in the SEC. Hard to recruit when literally everyone else has better facilities or other $$$ advantages (Vandy)

The Vols had the #7 recruiting class in 2019. In my opinion it was the product that was being put on the field that hurt recruiting. The talent level and play on the field as improved drastically.

It's hard to spend a ton of money on a stadium when they can't even get 2,000 people to attend a game on average. Unfortunately, the baseball team is not supported like other teams in the SEC. We are always 12th-14th in average attendance in the SEC.

Thru the CDS era and into the CTV era, there have been some improvements, padding on the walls/fence, obviously the new turf, scoreboard, more protective netting down 1st and 3rd, and the porch in RF and the 3rd base patio area.

Much work beyond what one can see went on with the field, weight room and VIP hospitality room.
Don’t forget the indoor area under the playground. Multiple areas for BP and pitching.

Honestly, the need for more seating hasn’t been an issue unfortunately. Bleachers on the third base side that were needed under Delmonaco came out 2-3 years ago.

Better team should get more fans. More fans hopefully will lead to better facilities.

Ole Miss' stadium was better than LNS in 1991 than LNS is today.

Ole Miss also had the TadPad for years. I went several times. Sometimes, priorities have to be made, and Ole Miss initially did it in baseball. I’d say we get another decent year in football, and we could start put more money in baseball. Right now, just pay the coach.

Also, if you look it up, Ole Miss’ stadium is on city property and initially funded by the city of Oxford. That helps.

Last edited:
Cut & pasted from the Coach Vitello contract extension thread:

At one point there was a plan to rotate it where home plate would be out where centerfield is presently (obviously a new stadium would be built around the new home plate area). More recently, and it was a number of years ago, suites would be added down the baselines as well as seating (with the current stadium). IIRC, then Coach Raleigh may have taken care of the need for more seating 😬
I hope the success of the program will fast track stadium upgrades soon.

Tonight I did some digging around on the internet wayback machine, the googles and UT's website to see if I could find what I referenced above. I couldn't, but I did come across these gems where you can see what's gone on over the years:

from 2002: Lindsey Nelson Stadium - University of Tennessee Athletics

from 2004: Big Screen Creates Big-League Atmosphere at Lindsey Nelson Stadium - University of Tennessee Athletics

2007 renovation photos: Lindsey Nelson Stadium Renovations - Photo Galleries - University of Tennessee Athletics

also from 2007: UT ANNOUNCES PLANS TO RENOVATE LINDSEY NELSON STADIUM, NAME BASEBALL FIELD - University of Tennessee Athletics

2009 with a link to a photo gallery: Second Phase of Renovations Begins at Lindsey Nelson Stadium - University of Tennessee Athletics

Enjoy!

Look for something when they take the "interim" off Boyd, officially. He owns the smokies and has bought up a lot of the old city over the last several years. I think he wants the TS back in knox. Could have a dual team stadium. Better to have 2 organizations paying for a brand new ball park than one. Scheduling would be a nightmare, but it can certainly be done.

Boyd does want the Smokies back in Knoxville but right now their lease agreement in Sevierville is expensive so it could be a couple of years before the Smokies come to Knoxville and I think a dual purpose stadium would be great for UT and the Smokies.

Fulmer is a big baseball supporter so maybe LNS will get some improvements in the future.

The stadium itself doesn’t lack much.... if the current success continues, we will be looking for more seating soon. IMO the biggest issues are the views; fans are always looking into the sun, and out at parking/water plant areas. Oh, and the back alley entryway could be improved.

Look for something when they take the "interim" off Boyd, officially. He owns the smokies and has bought up a lot of the old city over the last several years. I think he wants the TS back in knox. Could have a dual team stadium. Better to have 2 organizations paying for a brand new ball park than one. Scheduling would be a nightmare, but it can certainly be done.

I was curious about whether Knoxville would try to build a new park for both the Smokies and UT.

A few years ago new stadiums for both USCe and the Columbia Fireflies. It seems like a waste for 2 ballparks.

Reactions: kcvols1
The area outside the left field line needs serious work. Nice to have the grill areas but aesthetically that area doesn’t look very good.

Someone listened to Burke on Basilio
Heard the interview as well, Burke basically laid it all out. Talked about how embarrassing it is to have to walk through the concession stand supply closet to get to the broadcast booth. Also said they don't bring recruits in through the front because the "ugliness". He had a lot of good ideas that didn't seem to far fetched.

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Now answer me this, is it worth it financially to try and upgrade LNS, or do a complete new stadium? And would the money people at UT ever open the checkbook to make either ONE a first class SEC stadium?

Thanks for all the replies to my question. Now answer me this, is it worth it financially to try and upgrade LNS, or do a complete new stadium? And would the money people at UT ever open the checkbook to make either ONE a first class SEC stadium?

I will give it a stab. Some won’t agree I reckon. If CTV can build a consistent winner AND fans start showing up consistently, around 4-5000 on weekends...If those two things happen then the resources will be there.

Then the question becomes upgrade or build anew. I can’t answer this question because I don’t know if the park HAS to stay within the current footprint.

I will give it a stab. Some won’t agree I reckon. If CTV can build a consistent winner AND fans start showing up consistently, around 4-5000 on weekends...If those two things happen then the resources will be there.

Then the question becomes upgrade or build anew. I can’t answer this question because I don’t know if the park HAS to stay within the current footprint.

They would like to close the road running behind the outfield and create a better porch experience and a separate place to put students (drinking) along the outfield wall in bleachers

VN Store

Back