Let's Talk O-Line

musolfmj

This subject gets mentioned in many threads. Thought it would be good to discuss more in depth in one place.

There appears to be a general assumption that it will be better (some even say far better) than last year. Some think the rookie tackles are a lock to be starters, others caution that if you are playing freshman tackles in the SEC it's a sign that you are still in trouble. The "fire Friend" talk seems to have died down. Can our tight ends do the job they need to do? Do you think players who did not perform well in the past will show improvement? Why?

Would love to hear everyone's opinions, especially from those among us with serious football knowledge who could break down the "why" of their thoughts.

Reactions: tn4elvis
I feel like this is sort of like the defensive line in that there is talent around them to help them as long as they can be serviceable and not get pushed around. Just don't get pushed around. That's all I ask. They don't have to be the best in the SEC. Just don't let JG get destroyed every play and allow Chaney to do what he does. I know there are JG haters, but the stats show that 39% of JG's throws were under pressure. Zero excuse for that.

If the line can be serviceable and somewhat protect our QB, we win 8 games and potentially 9 due to the talent around them.

If they get destroyed like last year, 6-6, 7-5 max.

2 important things to consider when talking about the OL, do we have a qb that can recognize defenses and make checks at the line, and When gaps close, as they inevitably will, do we have a running back that can improvise and get the most out of a bad situation.
I think the addition of Chaney will do wonders for everyone. He should be able to help JG get better at the line of scrimmage. He should help the runnings back and tight ends recognize blitzes. He should help the o line overall and help their diffencies with play calling.

On the running backs, we have a great combination of speed and elusiveness (Chandler and gray), power (banks), and a combination of the two (Jordan). With improved line play at all, I think they'll improve greatly as well.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think the addition of Chaney will do wonders for everyone. He should be able to help JG get better at the line of scrimmage. He should help the runnings back and tight ends recognize blitzes. He should help the o line overall and help their diffencies with play calling.

On the running backs, we have a great combination of speed and elusiveness (Chandler and gray), power (banks), and a combination of the two (Jordan). With improved line play at all, I think they'll improve greatly as well.
Something about an OC with previous OL coach on their resume that helps in this department.

if they won't jump offsides every snap, the battle's half won.

Yea, how does Chaney correct this? I understand many think he can do most anything, but he can't make a guy think or react because he can't get into his head. Only the player himself can exercise his self discipline (if he has any) and react as he should.

Yea, how does Chaney correct this? I understand many think he can do most anything, but he can't make a guy think or react because he can't get into his head. Only the player himself can exercise his self discipline (if he has any) and react as he should.
Knows how the different position groups work and can better get them on the same page imo. Main knucklehead being in southern Cali can’t hurt.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
What offensive line...

1*gr6ZA7LgPr2d37GBRBB12g.gif

QBdied.gif

2018-09-19-Tennessee-RB-tackled-in-backfield-against-3-man-line.gif

fumble.gif

2018-09-19-Tennessee-RB-tackles-in-backfield.gif

Oh...IT"S "OFFENSIVE"...

I feel like this is sort of like the defensive line in that there is talent around them to help them as long as they can be serviceable and not get pushed around. Just don't get pushed around. That's all I ask. They don't have to be the best in the SEC. Just don't let JG get destroyed every play and allow Chaney to do what he does. I know there are JG haters, but the stats show that 39% of JG's throws were under pressure. Zero excuse for that.

If the line can be serviceable and somewhat protect our QB, we win 8 games and potentially 9 due to the talent around them.

If they get destroyed like last year, 6-6, 7-5 max.

If the Vol OL this year can give us 3 serviceable seconds of contact each and every play, it will be a vast improvement we should see on the field in offensive success. If they give us 4 seconds or more, they will be one of the better OLs in the SEC. Just give us 3 seconds per play and we'll be bowling somewhere.

Relying on freshmen to "improve" your OL is shaky at best. You put a lot of risk out there for them to get jacked up with injury going against top shelf SEC defensive talent. Bottom line is that noone will know for sure how the OL is until game 1 against a real opponent in Neyland stadium noise.

Relying on freshmen to "improve" your OL is shaky at best. You put a lot of risk out there for them to get jacked up with injury going against top shelf SEC defensive talent. Bottom line is that noone will know for sure how the OL is until game 1 against a real opponent in Neyland stadium noise.
this is kinda where i'm at.

but unfortunately we're probably not gonna have much of a choice. i expect Morris and wright figure in to the plans for the OL in a big way, and if there's good news about that, the're both alredy HUGE, so they arne't going out there undersized at least.

and both were top 10 players in the country. so there's skill/talent there to work with. to your point, it'll be more about how they adjust to the college game, and going against a lot better competition than they're used to.

as for the OL in general....i think we're ok inside, and the good news is that everyone from last year is back. and while they did have a lot of assignment issues to start last year off, some of that settled down by the end of the year. so i would think/hope that another full off season, with the same s&c and OL coach, and an upgrade at OC who has positional experience at all positions on the offense helps a great deal.

and let's face it, we haven't been very good on the OL in a few years, so the bar is set pretty low. they don't have to be great. they just need to eliminate the types of plays that lliterally cost us games. just be average and that will be a ton of improvement.....

Top programs play their 5 stars early and often til they move to the next level. We’re not a top program and will remain that way as long as we employ the defeatist logic of caging up our talent so it doesn’t get hurt. 😒

Defenses are gonna attack our oline like rats to cheese.I would assume that’s gonna continue until we prove we can stop anyone.If we start out like we did against appy state it’s gonna be a long year I know that.Expect growing pains like always but sum improvement would go along way.

For the love of God, Chaney, please get JG out of the pocket on occasion.

2 important things to consider when talking about the OL, do we have a qb that can recognize defenses and make checks at the line, and When gaps close, as they inevitably will, do we have a running back that can improvise and get the most out of a bad situation.

Also, do we have WRs and TEs who can block when needed and consistently catch the ball.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
If the Vol OL this year can give us 3 serviceable seconds of contact each and every play, it will be a vast improvement we should see on the field in offensive success. If they give us 4 seconds or more, they will be one of the better OLs in the SEC. Just give us 3 seconds per play and we'll be bowling somewhere.

Exactly.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
2018- The year we had an Offensive Offensive line. Hard to believe JG didn't fumble or throw interceptions more than he did. It would have been understandable. I really admire his toughness. But, you all are right, Chaney has to work on his pocket awareness.

Reactions: FïreBall
This subject gets mentioned in many threads. Thought it would be good to discuss more in depth in one place.

There appears to be a general assumption that it will be better (some even say far better) than last year. Some think the rookie tackles are a lock to be starters, others caution that if you are playing freshman tackles in the SEC it's a sign that you are still in trouble. The "fire Friend" talk seems to have died down. Can our tight ends do the job they need to do? Do you think players who did not perform well in the past will show improvement? Why?

Would love to hear everyone's opinions, especially from those among us with serious football knowledge who could break down the "why" of their thoughts.

this being the most recent iteration of the previous dozen or so OL discussions has made this a really repetitive subject to bring up

has Fall Camp even started yet?

"why"?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back