Let's remember how bad Jones really was

Butch never lost to GA State or Kentucky. He even beat UGA and Florida in 2016. Then we got skull drug by Alabama 49-10 and went on to lose to South Carolina and Vanderbilt to prevent us from winning the East. I mean, I'm not bitter or anything.

Not like it matters but Butch lost to Kentucky in his last season as Tennessee’s HC.

Pruitt has proven to be worse though.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
The 2015 team was better than 2016. The defense was solid. If we hadn’t blown big games (bad bad playcalling and scheme while ahead) we would had a chance to play for something big. I think the 2015 team was our best team since at least 2006 or 2007 maybe even 2003 2004 or 2001.

As bad as Butch was, he was competitive with Bama and OU in Y3 and didn't get blown out and have his team quit AT HOME against UK.....

Pruitt inherited a tough situation but it was no worse than what Butch inherited....

Butch was showing signs in Y3 that he wasn't cut out for this gig (the thin skin and the inability to close out games). Pruitt is showing signs in Y3 that this gig may be a little much for him (QB, OL, adjustments, preparation, team chemisty)
very good point

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Butch had terrible in-game decision making, Pruitt has terrible in-game decision making. Butch had major issues with saying dumb things in press conferences, Pruitt has major issues with saying dumb things in press conferences. Butch made terrible choices allocating playing time (Kamara) Pruitt said "hold my beer" (JG).

Outside of that it appears Butch was better at recruiting, and better at developing talent. Butch appears slightly better at winning games.

The fact that it's even close isn't a good look for Pruitt to say the least.

This confirms something we've suspected for a long time, that Pruitt just isn't used to being in or trying to turn around a losing culture. I'm sure he's had a ton of moments in his time in Knoxville when he's just kind of stood around and thought "What the F is the matter with these guys?"

Everywhere Pruitt has coached, even back to his high school days, has been at a really high-performing program that was already good when he got there (except year 1 with Saban). Struggling with that is OK in year 1, but by year 3 you've got to have the culture changed.

I know this is has been a rough year so far, but I think we are forgetting how bad Jones left this place.

The bad Butch Jones trait that Jeremy Pruitt had to erase from players

"Pruitt made a comment on Monday, during a virtual media session with reporters, that indirectly illustrated how bad things were under Jones. The comment also showed fans how much work Pruitt had to do once he arrived at Tennessee.

“Everywhere I’ve coached, I’m used to players being in the office constantly,” said Pruitt on Monday. “The first year we had to drag them up here. Now we have kids up here all the time studying and trying to be the best player they can possibly be.” "

I think I'll take a deep breath for this season and hope that next season, with a full summer and fall practice, with the culture changed, JG gone (hopefully), and most if not all players recruited by Pruitt, we'll be where we thought we'd be this year. Competitive.
Jones has nothing to do with losing to KY this year and still getting embarrassed by UGA and Bama. Pruitt has brought in a lot of talent but his inability to get them to play up to potential and to get a viable option at QB ready and on the field is his failure.
Jones is long gone. No one is expecting championships by now, but competitiveness is a reasonable expectation.

Butch never lost to GA State or Kentucky. He even beat UGA and Florida in 2016. Then we got skull drug by Alabama 49-10 and went on to lose to South Carolina and Vanderbilt to prevent us from winning the East. I mean, I'm not bitter or anything.
We had a Sugar bowl bid on the line before the Vandy game...And of course he blew it.

Reactions: GTBATV
I know this is has been a rough year so far, but I think we are forgetting how bad Jones left this place.

The bad Butch Jones trait that Jeremy Pruitt had to erase from players

"Pruitt made a comment on Monday, during a virtual media session with reporters, that indirectly illustrated how bad things were under Jones. The comment also showed fans how much work Pruitt had to do once he arrived at Tennessee.

“Everywhere I’ve coached, I’m used to players being in the office constantly,” said Pruitt on Monday. “The first year we had to drag them up here. Now we have kids up here all the time studying and trying to be the best player they can possibly be.” "

I think I'll take a deep breath for this season and hope that next season, with a full summer and fall practice, with the culture changed, JG gone (hopefully), and most if not all players recruited by Pruitt, we'll be where we thought we'd be this year. Competitive.
This is year 3 fir Pruitt and it’s time to stop blaming Butch and start holding this coaching staff accountable!!

Honestly, future Vols fans won't remember Butch being turrible. They will remember him going 4-8 (0-8 SEC), which will go down in history as the worst Volunteer season ever. So he will have that indelible stain.

But in spite of that, they won't remember Butch being all that bad. The two 9-4 seasons will insulate him from that, in historical timelines.

Just as you can't tell Zora Clevenger from George Levene, and the younger Vols fans among us can't tell Bowden Wyatt from Bill Battle, folks 50 years from now won't remember that Butch was a disaster. He'll actually look like a bit of a bright spot in the middle of our Dark Ages. The coach that almost turned us around.

Like it or not, that's how he will be remembered in the long term. Because once you strip away all the drama and personality, that's what is left. The record book rules, in the long view.

I'm not saying this is right, or just, or how it should be. I'm just saying this is how it WILL be, once we're all pushing daisies. Butch will be seen as one of the middling coaches, not one of the worst.

Pruitt is Butch 2.0. Decent recruiter but can’t develop any talent. Makes excuses constantly. If only Butch had saved him a stupid motto to use. Maybe Pruitt can think of one about cornbread. It’s year 3 and he’s still playing the worst QB in the SEC which drags the entire team down. JG is not well liked and a blind man can see that. Above all I’m a realist and what we are witnessing shouldn’t instill confidence in anyone. Pruitt is not getting it done. Will he ever? No. He’s too hardheaded.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
Butch 15&16 teams should of won the East and played in BCS Bowls. had the QB and many other NFL Players and lost 4 times each season. His foundation behind the scenes were crumbling as it was not Brick and Mortar but paper Mache. Now Coach P has not proven himself in year 3 on the field. He has a keen eye for Talent as he has very good young players the last two classes and he has another group ready to come in. So I will let these last 5 SEC games play out and then see were he stands. I hope that he is learning and will turn it around and go on to be the Coach we all hope he can become. But if not then we will start over again but this time I hope he would leave a strong Roster for the Next guy. In CHRIST Alone. Peace is Found.

VN Store

Back