Let's be honest, CFB system is not being fair on Tennessee

I have gotten into debates on threads.

Who wins at Athens?

Ohio State? Michigan? LSU? TCU? USC? Clemson?

Everyone is citing Tennessee's out for a loss that none of these teams likely pull out as well. The simple fact that we have Georgia on our schedule and in our division hampers us. Give Tennessee Ohio State's schedule and we are 10-0 right now and in top 4 of CFP rankings. Is it really fair to dock us? Why should LSU pass us if they beat Georgia when we beat them and they also lost to FSU?

If Tennessee was called "Alabama" right now, we would be a lock for the Playoffs.

Meh. I disagree. There are four undefeated teams in front of us. We're #5. Seems about right.

It would be a bummer if LSU wins the SEC title. But the SEC championship means something, and if they beat Georgia, I don't think any of us have room to complain.

Here is my take on how UT gets in.
1. UGA wins out. That's most important. If not, UGA will get in with 1 loss.
One of Mich./OU will lose, maybe both.
2. You are probably in if USC wins out, but there won't be a discussion if they lose again.
3. UT is a lock if TCU loses. If they win out UT is still in unless UGA loses the SECCG.

Tad premature IMO. We have a loss. OSU doesn't. LSU hasn't passed us. Right now we are where our record put us. Talkin' heads are paid to stir the pot and generate discussion. Rankings today don't mean much just like "respect" from preseason polls. Look at where we were ranked to start the season and where we are now. Season will play out and when the dust settles, we'll see if your concern/complaint is valid. Right now I have no complaints with the rankings. To borrow a phrase...you are what your record says you are.

That's the Tweet.

That all

Reactions: Stephen Gray
Here is my take on how UT gets in.
1. UGA wins out. That's most important. If not, UGA will get in with 1 loss.
One of Mich./OU will lose, maybe both.
2. You are probably in if USC wins out, but there won't be a discussion if they lose again.
3. UT is a lock if TCU loses. If they win out UT is still in unless UGA loses the SECCG.

ZM, who we laying money on this week?

No matter what.... people seem to always be able to find something to complain about. Must be miserable.

Yep everyone has it out for TN. Yep that’s clearly it. The UGA loss? Well Sankey didn’t want us to win so he told the refs to give every good call to UGA. So now the playoff committee has had meetings with Sankey and he has told them it’s best not to have us in the playoffs.

That sound about right?

Still a lot of ball to be played yet. My gut feeling is that if we take care of our last 2 games, things will work out for us to get in.

But I’m not sure it would be unfair for a one-loss conference champion to get in over us.

Now if a two loss LSU got in over us, you could certainly raise an argument.

At the end of the day though, you take care of business in Athens and none of this matters.

I’m just happy to actually be in the discussion this late in the year. If the worst that happens is a NY6 bowl and a 12 win season, I’ll take it.

How much $$ would you have laid against Vols being #5 in the CFP at this point in the season when the year began?

Odds would've been astronomical and you would've smirked at this being possible and Vols being anywhere near the Top 10.

Be Happy for where you are and what you have.

Go Vols!

Reactions: tellicoflash

Who wins at Athens?

Everyone is citing Tennessee's out for a loss that none of these teams likely pull out as well. The simple fact that we have Georgia on our schedule and in our division hampers us. Give Tennessee Ohio State's schedule and we are 10-0 right now and in top 4 of CFP rankings. Is it really fair to dock us? Why should LSU pass us if they beat Georgia when we beat them and they also lost to FSU?

If Tennessee was called "Alabama" right now, we would be a lock for the Playoffs.
If we'd won several NC's the past 10 years like Alabama has instead of the chit show we've been, it might be a different story.

Since we beat LSU we lost to Georgia and they've improved by goning undefeated. If thats including beating the defending national champs and winning the SEC then jumping us, it is what it is. I told someone yesterday flip the script and that's us and we get left out? Lol, Schiano Sunday part Deux.

Reactions: MaxVolnGA
Can we please stop whining? If we win the next two games in convincing fashion, we will get in. Pundits and others fans don’t like us because of our constant whining!
I’m not whining……I responded to the OP. Life ain’t fair.

Who wins at Athens?

I will absolutely admit, I believe TN is one of the 4 best teams in the nation. I’m not sure of an order to put anyone including GA, bc I haven’t invested much time into learning about UM or tOSU at this point. While I’m confident that TN will dominate their remaining games, unfortunatey, I’m not so confident that this will get them into the CFP.

I agree that if it were Bama in this position, it would likely be widely accepted that if they win out they get in. It’s not fair, but Bama has earned that reputation.

Honestly TN just has to hope for the best. Win two games that you absolutely should and hope things go your way.

Obviously, the winner of tOSU and UM will get in. Assuming they don’t lose aside. If USC wins out, I’m sad to say that they are in. If TCU wins out they are in. That plus a likely GA is 4.

But, I don’t expect USC to win out and I don’t think TCU wins out. The question is how will the committee rank a 1 loss Big 12 champ and a 1 loss UM or tOSU. And as much as it pains me to say, a 1 loss Clemson ACC champ could also be a threat.

In TN’s favor, I do believe that the committee highly values their big wins. And the only loss is by two scores to GA in Athens. That is a very strong resume IMO. Being ranked #1 going into the GA game should carry weight.

Yes it’s possible that TN gets left out, I honestly don’t know how the committee will react to the many possible scenarios. Just win, that’s all anyone can do. Best case scenario, you make the CFP and a chance at a natty. Worst case IMO, you win 12 games, which is a freaking awesome season compared to the last many seasons. As much as it worries me to say, things are looking up in Knoxville. Hopefully some great SEC east rivalry games in the future

You guys really need @ a 2½ week chill pill to determine whether you're actually pizzzed off or not.

Reactions: JoAllan
the committee should be thinking the way I'm thinking! The Ohio State - Michigan game is absolutely a play-off game. And the loser goes home. Both Ohio State and Michigan should be willing to accept this fact and play the game accordingly! Those thinking a close game decided in OT should let both in is bull crap! THE LOSER GOES HOME!

The OSU-UM loser will go home

They almost never get the best 4 teams. Was Cincinnati really the 4th best team last year? If we get left out, that ok because the SEC meatgrinder is a playoff more or less. We wouldn't be the first 1 loss SEC team left out.

Only thing that can keep Tennessee out is TCU running out and USC running out. Tennessee is in a pretty good spot.

Last year Cincy was 13-0 with a conference title.

If not them it would have been 11-1 ND with 2 fewer wins, a loss and no conference championship.

Then 10-2 OSU, 11-2 Baylor, 10-2 Mississippi

Cincy probably wasn’t the 4th best team but who’s to say who was? They definitely deserved to be there.

How much $$ would you have laid against Vols being #5 in the CFP at this point in the season when the year began?

Odds would've been astronomical and you would've smirked at this being possible and Vols being anywhere near the Top 10.

Be Happy for where you are and what you have.

Go Vols!
What about the Bama boy Roman Harper saying 11-1 from the beginning of the year.. Guy knew something. Looks like a genius now. I was thinking 8-9 win team at best.

Who wins at Athens?

Y'all going to have to give it a break...We winners now not whinners.

I
Obviously, the winner of tOSU and UM will get in. Assuming they don’t lose aside. If USC wins out, I’m sad to say that they are in. If TCU wins out they are in. That plus a likely GA is 4.

I think USC has to have some help even if they win out. If TN continues to win impressively it will be difficult for any team below to move ahead of them. LSU was not impressive at all last week, yet USC did not move ahead of them. They only moved up the 1 slot like everyone else.

USC would need to win impressively over a highly ranked team. They would have benefited most if UCLA and Oregon had both won as both of those would have been in the top 11.

#1 debit ranking isn’t fair?

Dang some of you need better things to do with your time.

Buncha crybabies.

Same type of people don’t get a job and complain it wasn’t fair when they don’t wanna work.

Stop complaining.

VN Store

Back