Let us consider what KJH might be doing

teacherdean

A lot of us have been bewildered as to what KJH is doing with the Lady Vols. She has a load of talent that has the potential to be a very good team. Let's say that she is more concerned about coming up with combinations which will produce more victories, in the long run, and put the team in better position to make a final four run. Maybe she is more concerned with final outcome than early season rankings. In reality, these early rankings are not that important except for us fans. She just might be trying to see what the team looks like in early competition with the desire to come up with a core group and a secondary group that will not be a serious drop off from her core group. I am going to tell myself to be patient and wait a few more games and see the direction the team is headed and try not to jump to conclusions.

A lot of us have been bewildered as to what KJH is doing with the Lady Vols. She has a load of talent that has the potential to be a very good team. Let's say that she is more concerned about coming up with combinations which will produce more victories, in the long run, and put the team in better position to make a final four run. Maybe she is more concerned with final outcome than early season rankings. In reality, these early rankings are not that important except for us fans. She just might be trying to see what the team looks like in early competition with the desire to come up with a core group and a secondary group that will not be a serious drop off from her core group. I am going to tell myself to be patient and wait a few more games and see the direction the team is headed and try not to jump to conclusions.
I agree. She has had so many injuries at the end of the season. I believe she is preparing the team in case this happens again. I believe she is trying to win a national championship. As always go Lady Vol’s

I agree with you 100%. But I find it interesting that this point needs to be made. Championships are not won in November. Kellie has a radically different team from last year. So when else is she going to figure out how to blend all these new players?

I think some fans had convinced themselves that this team was going to come out of the gates looking like 97-98 undefeated "Meeks" squad. The level of angst after the OSU was disproportionate to say the least. Now, with Jordan sidelined for some period of time, the cohesiveness process has gotten a little more complicated. This team is going to be a work in progress until the conference schedule starts. At that point, they need to have it (mostly) together. Last season, the LVs played their best ball in November and December (and that won them....?). Injuries played a big role in their late season fade but I would prefer to see them peaking and being world beaters in March cause that when the titles are won.

I agree with the assessment maybe she is trying to find combinations in case they're are injuries again. Last year it helped that KJH played so many people early. Also I think you all forgot that we didn't play our best ball early on last season. We struggled with Southern Illinois, barely beat UCF, USF, then played Texas and won in OT which was a good win for us but we also had to play together before we played Texas. We also struggled against Kansas a game after Texas. I haven't given up on this team at all. I just know it will take some time to gel and get the right lineup in. I'm glad to see Jackson get aggressive offensively and going for more rebounds. I feel like Jackson plays hesitant when she is in the game with Horston. We need her to stay aggressive and please oh please quit fading away. If she goes straight up they will not be able to block her shot. She has hops out this world. Let's keep believing in them and giving our support. Go Lady Vols!

She's coaching for a season and not one game with respect to her decisions (substitutions/time outs). If she wants to season the team by letting them play through adversity in a meaningless game, she should have the right to do so without this forum going through a meltdown. I believe she has confidence in her team and it's leaders. They may not always dominate but they will go into battle knowing Kellie has their back. Thats invaluable to the players and real coaches will know that.

This theory would make more sense and be a lot more comforting if it were someone like Staley or Mulkey who actually has a a history of deep March runs and championships coaching the team. The flip side, which a lot of us are seeing, is a coach completely over her head with this level of talent she's never had and no idea what to do with it...

Her time at NC State suggests she is a bad coach. Nothing has dispelled that.

In four seasons at NC State she had an overall winning percentage of 52%, 44% in the conference.

In 18 seasons of coaching coming into this year her total win percentage is 59.7%.

You can debate whether that's "bad" but it certainly ain't great...

This theory would make more sense and be a lot more comforting if it were someone like Staley or Mulkey who actually has a a history of deep March runs and championships coaching the team. The flip side, which a lot of us are seeing, is a coach completely over her head with this level of talent she's never had and no idea what to do with it...

Number one this is not a theory because I do not know what is in KJH’s mind, however, we will get a pretty good idea within a few more games. If she continues to look lost and inept, then we will know she is over her head and needs to be replaced. A lot of the issues should have been determined and resolved during preseason practice. However, preseason practice does not always resolve issues when you are trying to bring a new group together. It may take a few regular season games. I don't know what your coaching experience has been but that has been mine at the high school level.

That's certainly possible, and a lot of us are hoping that's the case. On the other hand - to be devil's advocate - you would think she would not be starting from scratch in that endeavor in the first games of the season. After all, this team has been on campus since the start of summer, then there was fall practice and a few exhibition games and scrimmages. You would think she'd already have a pretty damn good idea of who she sees in what role and what the combos are.

But I agree that she should be playing the long game this year and not be focused so much on the early season games. She has a chance with this talent to get to the FF, and if her strategic approach to the season is designed to increase the chances of getting there, I'm all for it. Still, the way the team looked against OSU was a shock to the this old man's system.

Not much of a mystery, KJH has always been sub happy early in season and takes a good look at almost everyone in game action. Uses odd combinations. And we always complain bc it seems disruptive to any flow, especially on offense, that might accidently break out. Previously it hasn't been as costly bc the schedule was easier and there weren't so many new players. But it's definitely what she's doing.

After the Ohio State game she said she thought this team needed a tough early sched and still thinks that was a right call. I would have thought a few easy games to let this team jell would have been better, but she knows her own team and hopefully taking a few on the chin early will pay off.

Also true that we got ahead of ourselves with expectations, but it wasn't just us. The national wbb media thought highly of this team on paper also. And its definitely way, way too early to count them, or Kellie out from having a great year.

All that said, I feel a little shellshocked because so much of what I'm seeing is sickeningly same ole same ole. Our problems are still our problems, just with new faces and more talent. I definitely never thought I'd have to endure a 30 turnover, complete meltdown which no one on our sideline had a clue how to stop. The predictable reversion to one on one hero ball in place of an actual offense is so disappointing. I expected growing pains, but I thought we'd be further along from the start than we obviously are. At least past the horror show stage.

We knew this season would be a big test for KJH. And there's miles and miles to go. But no question the start has been shaky.

In four seasons at NC State she had an overall winning percentage of 52%, 44% in the conference.

In 18 seasons of coaching coming into this year her total win percentage is 59.7%.

You can debate whether that's "bad" but it certainly ain't great...
Are those numbers real?!?!?!

That may be true, but when a team goes on a run like Ohio State did and again like Umass did, she has got to stop the run by calling a timeout. You don't put your team in situations like she has with this schedule and then decide that she isn't going to coach the situations that occur in tough matchups. She missed a lot of in game opportunities to teach and those timeouts dont roll over to the next game. It is a bad look.

Reactions: JustaChicken

VN Store

Back