Let’s Play QB Pros and Cons Game.

I really disagree with that. QB is one room where we have some talent and experience. Nice play on words though. Cons-Alabama has a bunch of them, but they hide them well and nobody has the guts to make charges against them. The SEC has a security blanket over the prima donnas.
Even if someone had the guts to make charges it would not matter.

After a 48 second jury deliberation......
JUDGE: Has the jury reached a decision???
JURY FORMAN: ROLL TIDE ROLL, not guilty!!!

Just asking from the perspective of what you’ve seen, heard, and read so far About each of them.
I think, with the right voice coach, they become a singing group. And make plenty of money doing JG Wentworth commercials.

Coaching staff does not like what the qb room was showing in HB and Maurer. Otherwise they would
not have wasted a scholly on Milton.

Milton is the viable qb option, as the coaches were familiar with him because they were scouting him down in fla.

I think the starting job is Milton's to lose.

What stud QBs does Florida have on their roster?
tenor.gif

So, pretend you are in the offensive staffs meeting room.
The coaches are going old school and have a big chalkboard In front of them.
On it, they have a list of things that will decide who their starter and second team, third, fourth, fifth QBs will be.
Things like arm strength, accuracy, foot speed, coachability, leadership, etc.
Under all of them are the five names with pro check marks or con x marks by their names.

From what you know about all 5, realizing Milton and Salter are new to us now, which QB do you think would have the most pro check marks Heading into August’s fall practice?

I’d say they are all even at this point, as we know the returners haven’t had quality coaching since they’ve been at UT.

What do you see as Baileys pros and cons?

can make all the throws
goes thru his progressions quickly
finds the open recvr

not a threat to run...need to see how he performs under extreme pressure

my thoughts he is our best pure qb probably dosnt mean much in college ball unless you have a stout o-line to work with

I'll play
Maurer - strong arm, gunslinger mentality, throws picks but makes some unbelievable throws, lacks accuracy on some throws.

Bailey - Good arm, can make the throws with accuracy, Needs more gunslinger as he tends to hold the ball, might be great in Heupel offense as I think the beauty of the offense is that most decisions are made pre snap (this could also be said for Maurer).

Hooker - has talent, good runner, was brought in as insurance i feel like, I don't think he starts but I could see a package with his running ability

Salter - lots of talent, no experience, I cannot see him starting. Maybe by mid season he takes over but I don't think so.

Here is an A to Z article discussing this very topic. They think Hooker starts
Tennessee has one of the most efficient QBs in college football on roster

No offense VolBricks, but this article is from April 6. The O&W game wasn't until the 24th, I believe, and Milton wasn't even a part of the roster. On top of that, the A to Z people are never right about anything.

I will continue to say that Salter needs to develop arm strength over what he showed in HS. I personally don't think that will happen in one off season.... and he'd still have to catch up on the playbook and operating the O live.

All of the others did some good things and bad things. If it is as reported and spring was more for development than to really work toward naming a starter then none of this "counts" until August.

MUST:
1. Know the offense
2. Make good decisions
3. Be accurate

HELPFUL:
1. Arm Strength
2. Mobility
3. Make teammates around you better

I see what you did there
Ever think about being a sports writer for KNS?

I know I have an avatar with a slide coming out of an elephant's butt; however, I am not going to take the pay cut or the indignity of working for John Adams.....

Just my impressions, but:

Bailey

Pros: Downfield arm, short accuracy

Cons: Least mobile QB on roster, can never outright beat out other QBs

Hooker

Pros: Mobile as hell, short and intermediate accuracy

Cons: May hold ball too long, questionable on downfield throws

Milton

Pros: Very elusive/mobile, can gun it downfield

Cons: Inconsistent on downfield, new to system (no spring), May have been poisoned by Harbaughs abysmal system

Maurer

Pros: Mobility/scrambling, toughness, fearless to laser it in there

Cons: Inconsistent as hell, can get frustrated easily, fearless to laser it in there

Salter

Pros: Winner in HS, not poisoned by having Cornbread as a HC, possibly most elusive QB on the roster, absolute cannon

Cons: Off-field issue after like 3 weeks (if that) on campus, missed spring reps, never attended a college practice, likely needs to get up to SEC conditioning, needs time with playbook and reps, shortest scholarship QB on roster (but at 6’1”, so).

If you need a QB that runs the ball they're a dime a dozen, they're called running backs. The QB position like the last two guys who played the position in college and came out with the NCs is about throwing the ball downfield using good decisions and getting first downs.

Just my impressions, but:

Bailey

Pros: Downfield arm, short accuracy

Cons: Least mobile QB on roster, can never outright beat out other QBs

Hooker

Pros: Mobile as hell, short and intermediate accuracy

Cons: May hold ball too long, questionable on downfield throws

Milton

Pros: Very elusive/mobile, can gun it downfield

Cons: Inconsistent on downfield, new to system (no spring), May have been poisoned by Harbaughs abysmal system

Maurer

Pros: Mobility/scrambling, toughness, fearless to laser it in there

Cons: Inconsistent as hell, can get frustrated easily, fearless to laser it in there

Salter

Pros: Winner in HS, not poisoned by having Cornbread as a HC, possibly most elusive QB on the roster, absolute cannon

Cons: Off-field issue after like 3 weeks (if that) on campus, missed spring reps, never attended a college practice, likely needs to get up to SEC conditioning, needs time with playbook and reps, shortest scholarship QB on roster (but at 6’1”, so).

appreciate you taking time to do this.

MUST:
1. Know the offense
2. Make good decisions
3. Be accurate

HELPFUL:
1. Arm Strength
2. Mobility
3. Make teammates around you better

The dude who has essentially never even thrown a pass in a college practice is going to beat out all the other guys who are older and/or established? I don't see it happening.
he's got the randy moss moxie, he can just wake up and ball on you. the most underrated trait.

VN Store

Back