Leaks latest move is back to offense

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
Leak's latest move is back to offense

KNOXVILLE — Only one week after being ousted from the starting quarterback job by two freshmen, C.J. Leak could be catching passes from them.

To help answer the Vols' lack of depth at tight end and to find a way to get one of their better athletes on the field, Leak worked exclusively at tight end yesterday after having moved to safety last week.

''I felt like as much as anything, we owed it to him to get him on the field in the quickest place we could,'' Coach Phillip Fulmer said. ''He jumped in there like he's done everything else and had a great attitude. He looked pretty darn good.''

The Vols had considered making the move a few days ago. When it was announced yesterday that tight end Victor McClure would be suspended indefinitely, Fulmer said the move made the most sense for Leak and for the team.

''He's got good hands, and he's still learning,'' Fulmer said. ''It's a whole different aspect of it. … I don't expect him to be a killer (as a blocker), but if he'll get in the way and fight like he did today, then I think he'll be just fine.''

Fulmer said the experiment of playing Leak at safety wasn't going to translate into playing time until late in the season.

''C.J. would ordinarily know a lot more about offensive play than he would about secondary techniques, adjustments and all those things,'' Fulmer said. ''We tried him over there, and he did a good job, but it was going to take him a long time to get ready to play.''

Reed to start: Fulmer said yesterday that Justin Reed will probably start at tight end, and he has been impressed with the improvements Reed has made.
He said Reed might have earned the starting job even if the Vols hadn't chosen to suspend McClure.

The 6-foot-7, 275-pound Reed had sampled quite a few positions with Tennessee before finding his niche at tight end. Reed spent time as a receiver, a defensive end and even at punter.

''This is definitely the one I found a home in,'' Reed said. ''I've played a lot of positions so far and been with a lot of coaches here. This is definitely the one I'll finish off my last two years here, and I think that I'll contribute. I think this is finally my chance to get playing time.''

Fulmer is also hoping Brad Cottam will be back to full speed next week. He has been in a no-contact green jersey nursing a shoulder injury.
Fulmer's biggest concern with Cottam is his ability to be physical.
''He tries to be physical, but he's got to get stronger,'' Fulmer said. ''But yet he can do all the route running things better than anybody we've had here.''

Toeaina still out: Offensive lineman Albert Toeaina missed practice again yesterday because of a knee injury. He first hurt the knee last season while in junior college.
Fulmer said he hopes to have Toeaina back for practice next week, when the Vols will prepare for UNLV.
Toeaina has been one of the Vols' most impressive linemen this fall, but Fulmer still wants to get him more practice time to help him get acclimated to the system.

''If he's playing as well as he is right now after 20-something practices, what's he going to be like after 20 more?'' Fulmer said. ''That's what's encouraging about him, he just keeps getting better.''

Fulmer said Toeaina's scrimmage on Tuesday was his best.
If Toeaina is unable to go next week, Arron Sears will start at right tackle. If Toeaina can play, then Sears would probably shift inside and start at left guard in place of Rob Smith.

Swain misses: Sophomore receiver Jayson Swain missed practice yesterday with a mild concussion he suffered in full speed work Wednesday. He is expected to return Monday.

Fulmer has been worried about some nagging injuries in the receiving corps this fall, but said he feels a little bit better about the depth now.
He also said the heat yesterday slowed the receivers a bit, but he is still expecting receiver to be one of the Vols' strongest positions this season.

''We've got to get them all healed up and well, and Monday we need everybody a little more chipper,'' Fulmer said. ''Those guys do a lot of running.''

Return game: The Vols will have their annual kicking scrimmage tomorrow and with James Wilhoit and Dustin Colquitt set at place-kicker and punter, respectively, Fulmer's top priority is sorting out who will return kicks and punts.

Tailback Corey Larkins did most of the kickoff returns last year and has returned some in scrimmages this fall. The Vols have to replace their two top punt returners from a year ago, Mark Jones and Rashad Baker.

Tailback Cedric Houston got some work as a kick returner yesterday. Houston has never returned a kick at UT, but has played some on special teams.
''That's seriously something we're looking at,'' Fulmer said. ''I don't think our kickoff return game was what we wanted it to be – not all Corey's fault – last year. We ended up being pretty average.''
—TIM VACEK

As much as they have moved him around, just make him a coach, and have him fax the info to Zook.

Sounds like they are really trying to give him a chance to get on the field.

If he has a chance at an impact it will probably come at TE not safety, I for one would like to see more than an extra blocker at TE.

As good of an athlete as he is and with his speed and decent size he should be fine at TE. How many TE could you use for a reverse? I like the move.

Originally posted by Volstorm@Aug 30, 2004 7:51 PM
But can he learn the offense? :lol:

being a former quarterback, should he not already know the offense?

being a former quarterback, should he not already know the offense?
you would think so wouldn't you , but I guess not since he's playing TE instead of QB

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Aug 30, 2004 4:20 PM
As good of an athlete as he is and with his speed and decent size he should be fine at TE. How many TE could you use for a reverse? I like the move.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope we are not resorting to a Tight End Reverse ... what is next the fumble ruskie...or statue of liberty....

Just kidding...just my gut reaction when I see gimic plays....

If you guys/gals saw the Va Tech / USC game last week ... I think we saw how a tight end can hurt a defense...

I was impressed with him...

I have no doubts that Leak could run routes...my only concern will be his ability to handle the speed of a D-End rush...and or his ability to work off of D-end to pick up LB ...Footwork and Blocking techniques will be the difficult aspects for him to pick up...
Yes he is strong enough and body size..big enough...now what the question really is ... is can he get his technique down... :cross:

Im not buying into Leak playing any position other than Qb. Yeah Banks can do it but Leak isnt as fast or have near as much agility. If he's not playin qb, DONT PLAY HIM!!!!

Originally posted by playaut0785@Sep 1, 2004 2:09 PM
Im not buying into Leak playing any position other than Qb. Yeah Banks can do it but Leak isnt as fast or have near as much agility. If he's not playin qb, DONT PLAY HIM!!!!

He's 6-4, 240 lbs and runs a 4.5 in the 40. If he's an athlete that can contribute, get him on the field.

What your saying is like Tinsley, "if he can't play running back, don't play him at all" yet all Tinsley does is score every other time he touches the ball! Whether he's at running back, half back, wide receiver, or returning kicks... Tinsley is a valuable weapon.

playaut0785 stated...
Yeah Banks can do it but Leak isnt as fast or have near as much agility

We are talking about tight end...

allvol stated...

He's 6-4, 240 lbs and runs a 4.5 in the 40. If he's an athlete that can contribute, get him on the field.

And I would say the same...We are talking about Tight-End(position that is conducive to Hieght-Strength-Weight-Speed(All the things Leak posses)....and I'm sure it will problaly be a form of tightend that will flex some away from the LOS so he will be used as a blocking threat on the outer threads of the defense...as well as be a nice middle seam route runner... remember the Arkansas Game where Whitten Seamed up middle for OT TD Win..... No I'm not saying he is a Whitten..But I merley stating Leak would be a nice weapon at Tight-End... if and only if he can get his blocking down as I stated in my previous post on this topic...

VN Store

Back