LB scenarios

Baron is almost certain to play DE... and be great. I believe Eason is also working with the DE's, right?

I don't think any of the guys in trouble now will be booted. We will see.

OTOH, if I were in Heupel's shoes I'd be recruiting every LB in the portal and also the top FCS/DivII LB's.
These are the ones listed at LB, but yeah you are right, a few will play DE. This is likely the listing for a 3-4 scheme.

Reactions: sjt18
We should definitely hit the transfer portal hard at LB. Need to add at least 2 LBs that are game ready. Even more would be better.

Not on video I saw ... that was linked
So the reporter who quoted him in the article isn't enough now? When are you going to actually prove what you've claimed? You keep dodging but then keep repeating the claim. There's no shame in not knowing... other than pretending that you do.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I think an argument could be made the linebacker is not as important as it once was. Maybe in the Big 10 with big rushing teams like Wisconsin you need that second line of defense but in the SEC, Pac 12 and especially the Big 12 with Spread/RPO big passing systems a Dime defense could work. Our d-line needs to be good to keep teams honest and a mobile QB could kill us but you work with the players you have.

Here's a theory ... Henry T. and Crouch are on a mission to go INTO the portal, get other LBs, and bring them OUT.

I think an argument could be made the linebacker is not as important as it once was. Maybe in the Big 10 with big rushing teams like Wisconsin you need that second line of defense but in the SEC, Pac 12 and especially the Big 12 with Spread/RPO big passing systems a Dime defense could work. Our d-line needs to be good to keep teams honest and a mobile QB could kill us but you work with the players you have.
True in some respects but teams also ask more of them since only two are usually playing at a time.

CJH and staff are saying the right thing... "we're going to put guys in a position to be successful". I sure hope that's true of the LB group.

Reactions: HooahVol
Yep. Gonna need to load up at LB with transfers. Folks just need to accept the crap storm that's coming next year. This idea that Heupel will work some sort of hurry up magic with this roster is just being naive. 6 wins would be fantastic. Anything above that would have me thinking he's SEC coach of the year material.

With all of the LB losses, it is possible that Heupel will not have the quick turnover defense that Banks was hired to coach, in year one.

It's not that linebacker is unimportant, you just really need them to be able to play in space now more than in the past. It's true you can have fewer linebackers now because you are in nickel more but the ones we have need to be more athletic than ever at linebacker for us to be good on defense. And we will still see a power run game at least from UGA and UK.

VN Store

Back