Lay ups and noshows

I counted 27 missed layups.... and that doesn't count the layups which were attempted and blocked or on which folds were called.... 27 wow.

27 layups is ridiculous, however not surprising. Most coaches don't know how to coach a layup because they don't know how to recreate the true scenario of a lay-up nor do they understand the mechanics of the first step the continuation and the end process of a layup.

Layups are coaches nightmare if they don't know how to teach them and how to correct them. You can recreate the scenarios of a foul shot easily and practice or even taking regular shots jump shots Etc but you cannot create the scenario of an endgame layup. The Breakneck speed at which you have to run to do a cross full-court layup. The full body contact you're going to get instead of some of the punky brewster pads used in practice. You have to be able to teach layups in their scenario like they're happening for them to be effective in practice and coaches are too wimpy to do that these days

except for this coach.

Reactions: 3 people
These girls are extremely Fragile at this time in the season. They are walking on the Razors Edge. If one of them is injured as Jamie is now, they cannot perform up to the expectations needed. Holly has no bench support, which makes it even more difficult. The crux of the problem is Fatigue(how it makes cowards of us all), Lack of Coaching(been this way all season), Desire(Now the confidence in teammates has gone). In all this season is over.

It boggles the mind.... though Jaime is playing, the fact she is limited just kills us.... Aja Wilson played less then half the game and they did OK.... we have no bench .... why? Our players on the bench are coming out of high school for the most part rated higher than the starting 5 for most of the teams we play.... Auburn has not 1 single all star, yet it takes a 3 point bank shot at the end to beat them.... and when we DID beat them, the team acts as though they had just won the NCAA title... Man it is frustrating

Reactions: 1 person
Other than unable to shoot the ball this was a good effort by the Lady Vols. We should've won the game getting 86 shots to their 56. They shot a terrible percentage and we managed to beat their terrible percentage by a large percentage.
The question becomes what are recruiting rankings all about. These players are supposed to be superior players in their class and most can't even make a layup or a ten foot jump shot. Their skill level is low and undeveloped.
Westbrook shoots 45 percent from the foul line, turns it over 5 times a game on average, and is shooting 37 percent from the floor yet she was the number two player in last years class.
Instead of recruiting rankings we have to recruit some players with skills. They do need to be athletic but mainly have to be better shooters than a few of our freshmen.
The only player we can depend on to make shots is Davis and she sat out almost the entire game with foul trouble.
Here is hoping that next years class has better shooting skills we need some help on offense.

Who did we recruit over Alexis Jennings, Jauan Jennings sister who played for South Carolina? How or why did we not have her in orange?

We just watched an exercise in futility by the Lady Vols. One of the first things you learn in playing basketball is hitting lay ups. That is why you have lay up drills. Had the Ladies hit half their lay ups,they would have won by 12-15 points or more. We have seen the Lady Vols have poor games shooting short shots,but this was the most egregious display ever. The effort was there,but the finish was not.

No team can do well in a tournament games when three starters are more or less no shows. They and we know who they are,so that is enough said. Maybe that will be a learning experience for NCAA tourney.

Footnote here is that Annie Hayes is going to be a very special player as she gains experience.

The only thing that matters is the NCAA tournament, getting a high seed, because of our history, and rolling a couple of duds into the sweet 16 and signing a new contract. Screw the 200,000 people who went to the regular season games and millions who watched on TV! Season begins now!

Other than unable to shoot the ball this was a good effort by the Lady Vols. We should've won the game getting 86 shots to their 56. They shot a terrible percentage and we managed to beat their terrible percentage by a large percentage.
The question becomes what are recruiting rankings all about. These players are supposed to be superior players in their class and most can't even make a layup or a ten foot jump shot. Their skill level is low and undeveloped.
Westbrook shoots 45 percent from the foul line, turns it over 5 times a game on average, and is shooting 37 percent from the floor yet she was the number two player in last years class.
Instead of recruiting rankings we have to recruit some players with skills. They do need to be athletic but mainly have to be better shooters than a few of our freshmen.
The only player we can depend on to make shots is Davis and she sat out almost the entire game with foul trouble.
Here is hoping that next years class has better shooting skills we need some help on offense.

Your are the number 2 player in the country and by some other sites #1 and you shoot 45% from the foul line is just crazy. I go back to what i have said before all the blame should go to Holly. Walker of UConn was the #1 by player by many but as Geno said. She was not living up to that in practice, and you notice when she do play and turn the ball over or bad defense he takes her out and let her have it on the sideline.

27 layups is ridiculous, however not surprising. Most coaches don't know how to coach a layup because they don't know how to recreate the true scenario of a lay-up nor do they understand the mechanics of the first step the continuation and the end process of a layup.

Layups are coaches nightmare if they don't know how to teach them and how to correct them. You can recreate the scenarios of a foul shot easily and practice or even taking regular shots jump shots Etc but you cannot create the scenario of an endgame layup. The Breakneck speed at which you have to run to do a cross full-court layup. The full body contact you're going to get instead of some of the punky brewster pads used in practice. You have to be able to teach layups in their scenario like they're happening for them to be effective in practice and coaches are too wimpy to do that these days

except for this coach.
What about the games where they hit their layups. Was it dumb luck they made the layups or had they been coached and taught how to make a layup. Amazing to me how it's always coaching when players fail to perform basic stuff that they had been doing all year.

Reactions: 2 people
Six years of Holly, six years of turnovers. One would think after 6 years Holly should have figured it out.

Russell is not even close to being an A’ja Wilson. She lacks heart, hustle and desire. She takes way too many breaks while on the court. She is simply not as big of a game changer as she should be. She does not play with emotion.

With the right coach and leadership Hayes, Westbrook and Davis could be very special. With the group we have coming in, this will be a top ten talented team with a far less talented head coach.

" No Sentimental is attached". That's the truth!

Westbrook is a turnover machine. Imagine what this team could do if Mercedes played angry with more effort. Much smaller players out rebound her with effort and motivation. Hayes and Davis are going to be special as is Westbrook if she can control turnovers.

I have often thought, "what a hell'va player Russell could be if she were just tougher". She may could have been a little stronger also.

Someone earlier said "poor layups". Here again, this and earlier Lady Vol teams have had trouble with layups. It requires some amount of strength to go with timing and speed to make layups. Lots of times our players are too far under the basket and shoot straight up. Not strong enough to hold position when they get bumped a little and end up right under the goal when the shot is put up.

Better to have a game like this before the NCAA playoffs start than after it does.

I suspect over confidence played a part in this. You've beat the team twice fairly easy with the last time being less than a week ago. Hard to get excited whereas your opponent was out for revenge.

The Ladies did not play well...

But from afar I say.
From my early days of watching high school b ball down and over here, we had really good teams. Would beat teams two times in regular season, then for the big third time fall short. I have watched this my whole life. In basketball third time wins in same season are hard to come by. In football, the second time.

It is hard to beat a team 3 times in the same basketball season.

What about the games where they hit their layups. Was it dumb luck they made the layups or had they been coached and taught how to make a layup. Amazing to me how it's always coaching when players fail to perform basic stuff that they had been doing all year.

Layups, just like any facet of the game, is directly influenced by coaching otherwise there wouldn't be coach there would only be players.

The mentality it takes to do a layup to have permission to do a layup is directly influenced by coach... someone taking three point shots someone 8 take that the ball gets forced inside on double-teams other scenarios can come into play so you need to incorporate this type these type of environments in some practices .. every facet of this game defense offense everything can be controlled and influenced by coaching and often is. And that's coming from a coach who is coach 37 years.

Ps... I'm in the process of moving so I am working from a so-called smartphone... But it isn't smart enough to print what I actually say

Last edited:

Making layups against Troy is just a little different than making them with A'Ja Wilson and Alexis Jennings patrolling the paint. Finishing with contact against tall, athletic and physical defenders is a coaching flaw.

Or maybe Holly can just schedule more Troys so we can gush about how great they are offensively.

Better to have a game like this before the NCAA playoffs start than after it does.

I suspect over confidence played a part in this. You've beat the team twice fairly easy with the last time being less than a week ago. Hard to get excited whereas your opponent was out for revenge.

The team they beat twice was not this one. SC with A'Ja Wilson available for under 20 minutes is significantly better than a SC team without her.

Tennessee dodged a bullet by picking up two SEC wins with her out of commission. If they couldn't get fired up to finally play against the likely NPOY this season, then they have issues.

I'll say it again. Way to phone it in Lady Vols.

Playing like this we won't have to watch this miserable play very long come tournament time. I'm surprised they made it past Auburn.

Zero heart.
Zero effort.
Zero Intensity.
Zero tenacity.
Zero coaching.
Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy play.

Agree with some but not all. Nared played with a ton of heart tonight - I can't imagine how bad she was hurting but she left it all on the floor.

I think it's safe to say they have issues. A lot of them-- on the floor, on the bench and pacing the sideline.

The team they beat twice was not this one. SC with A'Ja Wilson available for under 20 minutes is significantly better than a SC team without her.

Tennessee dodged a bullet by picking up two SEC wins with her out of commission. If they couldn't get fired up to finally play against the likely NPOY this season, then they have issues.

Lousy shooting means they weren't fired up?

"Russell is not even close to being an A’ja Wilson. She lacks heart, hustle and desire. She takes way too many breaks while on the court. She is simply not as big of a game changer as she should be. She does not play with emotion."

I have said this for the last 3 years. MR may have been queen in Highschool but college is a much different talent level. Again, she is well OVERATED. I would not draft her. Just my oppinion.
Didnt she play for the national team for Geno and dominate during that time?

Auriemma believes one of the ways to increase the game's appeal is by increasing offensive efficiency.

"What makes fans not want to watch women's basketball is that some of the players can't shoot and they miss layups and that forces the game to slow down," he said.

"How do help improve that? Lower the rim [from 10 feet]. Do you think the average fan knows that the net is lower in women's volleyball than men's volleyball? It's about seven inches shorter so the women have the chance for the same kind of success at the net [as the men]."

"Let's say the average men's player is 6-5 and the average woman is 5-11," Auriemma said. "Let's lower the rim seven inches; let's say 7.2 inches to honor Title IX [instituted in 1972]. If you lower it, the average fan likely wouldn't even notice it.

"Now there would be fewer missed layups because the players are actually at the rim [when they shoot]. Shooting percentages go up. There would be more tip-ins.

Russell is going to have a hard time as a pro. She is doing the same things she was doing 2 years ago, still stretching out for shots and rebounds. Wilson who is an inch shorter jumps a foot over Russell. And remember how cp3 with her back to the basket could jump straight up, turn and shoot that fade-away shot? Russell still, in one motion, turns, stretches and throws, not shoots, sometimes before she even knows what direction the basket is. A strength coach should have her touching a spot 6 or 8 inches above the basket about 50 times a day and a shooting coach should have her shooting 50 jump shots around the basket and showing her how to release the ball at the top or her jump just like a regular jump shooter would. You can tell when she shoots a free throw she has a great shot..just nobody to show her how to use it. So coaching, coaching, coaching. As for all those missed layups, you're in college, you should know how to shoot a layup. If you get fouled ok or if it gets blocked ok but you HAVE to shoot to score not just throw it to the top of the backboard and hope for the best. Still hoping...go Lady Vols.

The no heart and no effort condemnation is completely false and the stats bear it out.

The LVs generated 27 TOs versus having just 11 turnovers.

And the LVs outrebounded SC (including a 13 rebound edge on the offensive glass). But due 26% shooting, the LVs did not convert many of those TOs or Offensive boards into points. They never got the reward for their effort. And when the LVs cut the lead to 3 in the 3rh quarter, they missed chippies from Davis, Jackson, and Russell on consecutive plays while SC started to rebuild the lead.

The LVs have had nights when they could not hit a jump shot to save their lives but last night's game was really, really strange.

Last edited:
The no heart and no effort condemnation is completely false and the stats bear it out.

The LVs generated 27 TOs versus having just 11 turnovers.

And the LVs outrebounded SC (including a 13 rebound edge on the offensive glass). But due 26% shooting, the LVs did not convert many of those TOs or Offensive boards into points. They never got the reward for their effort. And when the LVs cut the lead to 3 in the 3rh quarter, they missed chippies from Davis, Jackson, and Russell on consecutive plays while SC started to rebuild the lead.

The LVs have had nights when they could not hit a jump shot to save their lives but last night's game was really, really strange.

I agree a thousand fold. Those girls put out effort they put on a hell of a lot of effort and should be rewarded for doing so. The effort was there I watch the game I saw what was happening on the floor. The proficiency wasn't there. The in-game decision-making wasn't there. You can have the greatest warriors on this Earth and go in the battle with them but if their opponent has equally physical Warriors not as much skill yet are much more organized and efficient in their ability to execute... I'll take the Warriors with the good chief

VN Store

Back