Lay ups and noshows

The media is spinning this as a beatdown with A'ja the conquering hero, but that narrative is deceiving. The LVs shot historically poorly last night, which led to an extremely frustrating loss. They could lose to anybody shooting 26% and missing 34 shots in the paint. When the LVs turn an opponent over 27 times and have 30 more shots, they generally win. They can improve the shooting, but their lack of focus and mental toughness could continue to be their nemesis.

Without using a dictionary, but from an athlete's perspective:

Heart = playing for the name on the front of the jersey, for your teammates, and for your coaches, family and people who helped you get to where you are. I guess you could also call it pride
Effort = fighting for 40 minutes. Diving for every loose ball. Challenging every shot.
Intensity = playing every second like the game is on the line.
Tenacity = playing like you're 6'6", 250lbs when your only 5'6" 150lbs and everyone says you're playing like you're 6'6" and 250lbs.

That's my non-webster version. I'm sure others will google the definitons and chime in with their unoriginal two cents.

LVs haven't had anyone dive for the ball regularly since Andraya Carter had to retire. Are they too good to go down on the floor for a ball? (That effort by Jaime Nared last night on that one scramble brought back some old memories.) Are the players "saving it for the pros?"

Reactions: 1 person
Just curious, did you actually watch the game?

I will give you that the LVs were not good but Nared played her heart out; Annie Hayes fought hard; and the overall team intensity was fairly high.

The number of missed shots at the rims was incredibly frustrating. And in many cases, a missed lay-up one the one end led to a fast break score for SC; those four point swings were fatal.

I can only guess (hope) that fatigue from the Auburn game contributed to all those misses but per the OP, if they make those kind of shots, their tournament prospects are not great. Ever the optimist though, I don't think they will repeat this dismal shooting performance in the NCAA tournament.

Did they also have those missed layups in the first game (Auburn)?

Better to have a game like this before the NCAA playoffs start than after it does.

I suspect over confidence played a part in this. You've beat the team twice fairly easy with the last time being less than a week ago. Hard to get excited whereas your opponent was out for revenge.

We will play like this in the tournament at some point. This team has no mental or physical toughness.

LVs haven't had anyone dive for the ball regularly since Andraya Carter had to retire. Are they too good to go down on the floor for a ball? (That effort by Jaime Nared last night on that one scramble brought back some old memories.) Are the players "saving it for the pros?"

Jackson, Hayes, Nared and Green all throw themselves all over the court trying to gain possession of the basketball.

The others, not so much.

Jackson, Hayes, Nared and Green all throw themselves all over the court trying to gain possession of the basketball.

The others, not so much.

,Davis is a beast on the boards and she's pretty good about diving for loose balls, other than that I agree with you

Just curious, did you actually watch the game?

I will give you that the LVs were not good but Nared played her heart out; Annie Hayes fought hard; and the overall team intensity was fairly high.

The number of missed shots at the rims was incredibly frustrating. And in many cases, a missed lay-up one the one end led to a fast break score for SC; those four point swings were fatal.

I can only guess (hope) that fatigue from the Auburn game contributed to all those misses but per the OP, if they make those kind of shots, their tournament prospects are not great. Ever the optimist though, I don't think they will repeat this dismal shooting performance in the NCAA tournament.

Oh yes I watched the entire debacle. 27 missed layups, 4 rebounds from the tallest player on the court. Just going through the motions.

Where was the full court press like during the Auburn game. It is pathetic to see how far they have fallen. At least when Pat didn’t have a championship team. They played their asses off. This team just doesn’t seem to have any pride what so ever.

Auriemma believes one of the ways to increase the game's appeal is by increasing offensive efficiency.

"What makes fans not want to watch women's basketball is that some of the players can't shoot and they miss layups and that forces the game to slow down," he said.

"How do help improve that? Lower the rim [from 10 feet]. Do you think the average fan knows that the net is lower in women's volleyball than men's volleyball? It's about seven inches shorter so the women have the chance for the same kind of success at the net [as the men]."

"Let's say the average men's player is 6-5 and the average woman is 5-11," Auriemma said. "Let's lower the rim seven inches; let's say 7.2 inches to honor Title IX [instituted in 1972]. If you lower it, the average fan likely wouldn't even notice it.

"Now there would be fewer missed layups because the players are actually at the rim [when they shoot]. Shooting percentages go up. There would be more tip-ins.

Makes sense....I heard it said several years ago from some sportscaster that the men play the game 3 feet above the rim....Women play the game 3 inches off the floor. Lowering the goals would help offset some bad basketball.

Who did we recruit over Alexis Jennings, Jauan Jennings sister who played for South Carolina? How or why did we not have her in orange?

Because she suck and the two losses
showed this to be truth.
Lucky they played a team that had a back to back game , while they looked
plenty fresh.

That was a consequence of the LVs not handling their business during the regular season and, as a result, not getting the byes, which are a huge advantage.

The LVs worked their butts off pressing against Auburn and clearly had dead legs against SC.

Better to have a game like this before the NCAA playoffs start than after it does.

I suspect over confidence played a part in this. You've beat the team twice fairly easy with the last time being less than a week ago. Hard to get excited whereas your opponent was out for revenge.

Playing the night before doesn't help
either. Especially when you're burned
out from full court pressing.

Reactions: 2 people
That was a consequence of the LVs not handling their business during the regular season and, as a result, not getting the byes, which are a huge advantage.

The LVs worked their butts off pressing against Auburn and clearly had dead legs against SC.

Because the coach lets them go through the motions is practice. If they worked in practice they would be in better shape. Every team that wins has to play the next day in the SEC tournament. Next excuse.

We will play like this in the tournament at some point. This team has no mental or physical toughness.

Not so.
You get break between game.
Wilson had plenty of rest, Plenty.
Damn,Dawn was thinking ahead.

Say it again.

Playing the night before doesn't help
either. Especially when you're burned
out from full court pressing.

They shouldn't need to play their starters 35 min vs. Auburn. That's on them for not taking care of business the regular season and then playing down to competition.

Reactions: 3 people
You hear all the time that the players take on the identity of their coach. Holly just doesn't know the answer. She has said it too many times. Time for her to go.

How can you blame her. Against Auburn practically didnt touch the ball without a rebound. This team lacks a coach its that simple.

Russell offered little if any resistance against Jennings and Wilson. She hustled a lot more in the Auburn game. The effort in the USC game was not even close to her effort in the Auburn game. She attacked the boards and got rebounds. However, one game does not make you an All American, it is your overall body of work. She was almost none existent in the USC game. We really do not know which Russell will show up from game to game. We need Russell to show up for every game.

Don’t we have a coach, why isn’t she directing the team to throw the ball into Russell when Russell is open? Did Russell place herself in position to receive the ball? If she is heavly covered by double and triple teams, it really makes little sense to throw the ball into Russell while the ball is intercepted or the ball is taken away from Russell. We have seen that way too much on several occasions. In the USC game Russell received the ball but couldn’t hit her ass with both hands.

These girls are extremely Fragile at this time in the season. They are walking on the Razors Edge. If one of them is injured as Jamie is now, they cannot perform up to the expectations needed. Holly has no bench support, which makes it even more difficult. The crux of the problem is Fatigue(how it makes cowards of us all), Lack of Coaching(been this way all season), Desire(Now the confidence in teammates has gone). In all this season is over.

The team has no leadership, the head coach does not know how to manage timeouts, the team seems, many times, as being very unorganized and many times Holly seems very lost. Leadership and desire is usually the difference as the season is wounding down. Norte Dame has only 7 scholarship players and three of their players play most all of their games. McGraw’s bench is in worse shape than Holly’s but they continue to win big after the meltdown in Louisville. They have a point guard who has not played the position since high school. The difference between ND and Tennessee is leadership, pride, desire, aggressiveness, hustle and coaching. Watch ND play they play with fire and desire, we play with neither for any long period of time.

If we beat Alabama or ONE more win ...... We are in the two spot and not South Carolina !!!!!

And if Wilson doesn't miss both regular season games against Tennessee, then they likely have two more losses, so...

well I don't really believe that they lost to SC due to exhaustion having played the day before.... BUT if that is true.... it their own fault for playing down to a 5-11 team.... and we all know that Auburn did not play a spectacular game... they were just gritty. They are grinders.... they had to be to be competitive just like Alabama and LSU

Russell offered little if any resistance against Jennings and Wilson. She hustled a lot more in the Auburn game. The effort in the USC game was not even close to her effort in the Auburn game. She attacked the boards and got rebounds. However, one game does not make you an All American, it is your overall body of work. She was almost none existent in the USC game. We really do not know which Russell will show up from game to game. We need Russell to show up for every game.

Don’t we have a coach, why isn’t she directing the team to throw the ball into Russell when Russell is open? Did Russell place herself in position to receive the ball? If she is heavly covered by double and triple teams, it really makes little sense to throw the ball into Russell while the ball is intercepted or the ball is taken away from Russell. We have seen that way too much on several occasions. In the USC game Russell received the ball but couldn’t hit her ass with both hands.

And you answered my question with
Don’t we have a coach, why isn’t she directing the team to throw the ball into Russell when Russell is open? Thats the issue. COACHING

Without using a dictionary, but from an athlete's perspective:

Heart = playing for the name on the front of the jersey, for your teammates, and for your coaches, family and people who helped you get to where you are. I guess you could also call it pride
Effort = fighting for 40 minutes. Diving for every loose ball. Challenging every shot.
Intensity = playing every second like the game is on the line.
Tenacity = playing like you're 6'6", 250lbs when your only 5'6" 150lbs and everyone says you're playing like you're 6'6" and 250lbs.

That's my non-webster version. I'm sure others will google the definitons and chime in with their unoriginal two cents.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!

Now I want people to ask themselves, can you “coach” any of this or does it come from within?

Russell is by far the sorriest #1 player coming out of high school I have ever seen! Idc if you call it bashing, I’m calling it like I see it! I hate we haven’t had a legitimate back up so Holly could bench her!

The way she stood and watched rebounds, sickens me! I almost cried I was so pissed at her effort!

This is Mercedes after every play ——> 🤷🏼*♀️

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back