Lawyers of Volnation

ruger1234

The power of attorney of an estate that I’m listed in a will wants me to provide social security number to be attached to CD. Is this normal procedure or is the power of attorney up to something?

What is CD? I don’t know why they would need your social. Ask why they need it

Hmm. Don’t know. If so, still don’t know why they would need your SS#. I don’t do probate law though

Does seem odd.

I was part of a probate upon the death of a family member and SS# was never mentioned.

Maybe OP can give a few more details so you and the others can advise accordingly.

Sorry I don't know probate at all. I will say that most documents filed online or in court these days redact that info by rule. Dates of birth, social security number, etc.

In fact, when we file online now we have to certify that we've gone through it and taken that out.

Reactions: malinoisvol
What is CD? I don’t know why they would need your social. Ask why they need it

Certificate of Deposit. The power of attorney wants to attach names and ssn to each CD. The owner of the CD’s is still alive but suffers from dementia

If it’s a certificate of deposit, they probably do need your social for tax reporting purposes but again I’m not 100%

If it’s a certificate of deposit, they probably do need your social for tax reporting purposes but again I’m not 100%
We just went through that exact scenario with my Mother-in-law.

Certificate of Deposit. The power of attorney wants to attach names and ssn to each CD. The owner of the CD’s is still alive but suffers from dementia
This is normal. We just completed our wills, POA, medical delegations, etc. We listed assets as well as beneficiaries, kids were also included for custodial considerations. The attorney asked for everyone’s social. I don’t know your relation to the person but it’s possible the will was drawn up naming you as beneficiary with the idea being they’d get your social somewhere along the way. It’s much better to have that sort of stuff “assigned” before death, trying to sort it after the fact can lead to some really terrible experiences. Money makes people do crazy things.

Reactions: malinoisvol

VN Store

Back