Laura Loomer banned from Twitter

There is no libertarian utopia. The world is going to be cruel and unfair in any political system. Libertarians just think small government will create the best outcomes, overall.

This scenario only seems plausible if some supermajority (75%+?) of people are anti-free speech "extremists". If you have a normal amount of extremists, then their attempts at monopolizing everything will fall flat. Every time they try to shut normal people out, they are creating an opportunity for somebody to address their demand. The market opportunity outweighs their wealth, unless the oppressors are plentiful and the oppressed are few. If there is a supermajority of extremists, then social media and roads are probably the least of our worries, no matter what kind of political system we have.

Also, if the oppressors have so much power, why are they not voting to move away from libertarianism to a stronger government? That'd be a much easier pathway to controlling speech and you don't need a super majority.

I agree on your version of libertarianism. I still think monopolies would still form. They may not be permanent, but if the monopoly prevented the spread of ideas then I could see how it could be maintained for a long time. Wouldn't necessarily take a super majority. So, let's just assume that monopolies can still form for long periods of time. Would this situation constitute a free speech crisis even though technically it may not be directly a free speech issue?

I agree on your version of libertarianism. I still think monopolies would still form. They may not be permanent, but if the monopoly prevented the spread of ideas then I could see how it could be maintained for a long time. Wouldn't necessarily take a super majority. So, let's just assume that monopolies can still form for long periods of time. Would this situation constitute a free speech crisis even though technically it may not be directly a free speech issue?

I don't agree that this assumption is plausible for most industries in a libertarian environment, particularly with social media. As far as I know, every sustained monopoly in history got/maintained its status in at least one of three ways:
  • Exclusive access to a resource (rare, especially in recent history, but ALCOA would be an example)
  • Cronyism (Ma Bell, the most common type, undesirable, less likely with small government)
  • By being a hell of a business (Standard Oil, completely desirable)
To answer your question, I believe it is a "free speech issue" whether the oppressors are government or not.

Probably the best scene from that movie with the exception of the French castle.
Man I love that movie. I was high as a kite first time I watched it lol.

“I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.”

This is my favorite. "Look at the bones!!"

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

VN Store

Back