Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

Don't know. Here's one manager's take before the record was broken.
Ripken always has maintained that the streak is only a byproduct of his desire to play every day, but he has been criticized on numerous occasions for supposedly putting the streak ahead of the best interests of the team. San Francisco Giants coach Bobby Bonds ripped him for that earlier this season.
"That's idiotic," Bonds said in May, discussing the topic after a game in which his son, Barry, sat out. "If I were his manager, he'd be out of there. He's hurting the team and showing that personal goals are more important. He wants to break Lou Gehrig's record even if it'll cost Baltimore the pennant."

And his wife:
"It seemed at the time like it was a serious injury," Ripken said. "I was talking to my wife, and she said, 'Do you think you can just play one inning tonight.' I said, 'You, too?' She said, 'I thought that was the most important thing to you,' and I said, 'If I can't play I'm not willing to play."

A manager's son is getting criticized for sitting out - hard to imagine Dad lashing out. (your Bonds example).

as to the quality of a back up, looks like the O's had to bring in a player since they didn't have one of high enough quality

"the Orioles went as far as to recall Manny Alexander in 1992 as insurance in the event Ripken had to sit out."

the day after the knee injury he went 1-2 and was walked. he scored a run. the Orioles won the game.

So there's no evidence 1) he hurt the team or 2) they had someone better on the team at the time to replace him.

a recap of the game after the knee injury

The Orioles won, 3-2 vs. Oakland, that night, on a go-ahead eighth-inning sac fly from David Segui. Ripken reached base three times, singling and walking twice in four plate appearances. He made four defensive assists, including on the first and penultimate plays of the game. He scored ahead of a two-run Harold Baines homer in the third. It was the game’s first run.

sounds like he had a horrible game the selfish bastage

a recap of the game after the knee injury

The Orioles won, 3-2 vs. Oakland, that night, on a go-ahead eighth-inning sac fly from David Segui. Ripken reached base three times, singling and walking twice in four plate appearances. He made four defensive assists, including on the first and penultimate plays of the game. He scored ahead of a two-run Harold Baines homer in the third. It was the game’s first run.

sounds like he had a horrible game the selfish bastage
Looking at Ripken’s numbers though, maybe the O’s would have been better off sitting Ripken for stretches of time.

Ripken batted .276 for his career, as opposed to the league’s .264 mark, and reached base 34 percent of the time, only a small improvement from the league’s 33.2 percent. In other words, he reached base at about the same rate as the average ballplayer. In addition, he had no speed and holds the major league record for most times grounded into a double play (350).

And his numbers in themselves are deceiving. He hit over 400 home runs but only hit 30 once. He only batted .300 three times and never had an on-base percentage over .380. For his career, his OPS, a statistic that measures a player’s on-base percentage plus slugging percentage when adjusted to the league average and the ballpark, was just 12 percent better than the league average. In comparison, guys like Corey Koskie, Raul Mondesi, and Pat Burrell are ahead of Ripken on the all-time list.

If you take all the members of the 3000-hit club, Ripken has the lowest career batting average and on-base percentage. He and Eddie Murray are the only guys who hit 400 home runs without ever hitting 35 or more in a season, but Murray hit 30 or more in a season five times. Ripken did it once. Ripken collected 200 hits in a season just once. He scored 100 runs three times in his first four seasons, but then never again.

Simply put, Ripken wasn’t the hitter his numbers reflect. He padded his numbers by playing for years after he had stopped helping his team, but because he was such a charitable man who was such a positive role model for children, no one mentions it.

Looking at Ripken’s numbers though, maybe the O’s would have been better off sitting Ripken for stretches of time.

Ripken batted .276 for his career, as opposed to the league’s .264 mark, and reached base 34 percent of the time, only a small improvement from the league’s 33.2 percent. In other words, he reached base at about the same rate as the average ballplayer. In addition, he had no speed and holds the major league record for most times grounded into a double play (350).

And his numbers in themselves are deceiving. He hit over 400 home runs but only hit 30 once. He only batted .300 three times and never had an on-base percentage over .380. For his career, his OPS, a statistic that measures a player’s on-base percentage plus slugging percentage when adjusted to the league average and the ballpark, was just 12 percent better than the league average. In comparison, guys like Corey Koskie, Raul Mondesi, and Pat Burrell are ahead of Ripken on the all-time list.

If you take all the members of the 3000-hit club, Ripken has the lowest career batting average and on-base percentage. He and Eddie Murray are the only guys who hit 400 home runs without ever hitting 35 or more in a season, but Murray hit 30 or more in a season five times. Ripken did it once. Ripken collected 200 hits in a season just once. He scored 100 runs three times in his first four seasons, but then never again.

Simply put, Ripken wasn’t the hitter his numbers reflect. He padded his numbers by playing for years after he had stopped helping his team, but because he was such a charitable man who was such a positive role model for children, no one mentions it.

So the Oriels should have sat a better than average (in almost every category) player?

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol

This is a strange hill to plant your flag on.

Do you think that after 100's of millions of doses that if people were going to fall over dead, they would start doing it by now? If you want to wait 20 years to test something go ahead, I'm not as risk averse as you are.
Probably.

But I’m not just thinking short term. What are the long terms side effects of the vaccine? Nobody knows because it wasn’t tested as it would have been normally.

If you want to get it that’s great. Do what you think is best for you. Like I said before if this was a deadly virus with a high mortality rate I might have a different opinion. I already had covid so my antibodies should be good for a few more months.

that sucks - what are they doing. I've heard of some Vitamin D related treatments for long Covid
I take Vitamin D/Calcium supplements regularly since my transplant. After getting out of the hospital, I added Vitamin C and Zinc. Technically, I'm over COVID, but some effects can linger. At least that's what I've gathered.

oh now he was just a poor player? (the sound of goal posts moving) it's interesting what you left out of that article

he's one of only 57 first ballot hall of fame players

Cal Ripken Jr.
Class of 2007

Ripken was revered as the bridge between the schools of old and new. He played super defense, hit for power and average and played every day. Ripken's streak of 2,632 consecutive games played is likely one that won't ever be matched. He was enshrined to the Hall with a 98.5 percent vote.

Keep digging Luther

During his streak Ripken led the MLB in total bases, RBI, was second in doubles to Wade Boggs, and second in hits behind Tony Gwynn. He had a WRC of 114, meaning for the duration he was a better than average hitter. He's fourth all time in defensive WAR. He was an excellent player on a very mediocre to bad team. No one will ever break his streak. This is such a weirdly specific thing to have a hot take about, but again as you two seem content with each other it's not a surprise.

And people were buying tickets in large part to watch him. I am sure dads appreciated knowing that if they took their son to a game, Cal would not take the day off with a head cold.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
oh now he was just a poor player? (the sound of goal posts moving) it's interesting what you left out of that article

he's one of only 57 first ballot hall of fame players

Cal Ripken Jr.
Class of 2007

Ripken was revered as the bridge between the schools of old and new. He played super defense, hit for power and average and played every day. Ripken's streak of 2,632 consecutive games played is likely one that won't ever be matched. He was enshrined to the Hall with a 98.5 percent vote.

Keep digging Luther

Luther hates exceptional.

Some of what Luther left out of the Ripken = meh article

As of 2008, Cal Ripken, Jr. is regarded as an idol in Baltimore and is considered to be arguably the greatest shortstop who ever lived. He is revered for his amazing streak of playing in 2,632 consecutive games. He was a role model for children everywhere, demonstrating the importance of just going out there every day and doing his job. Along the way, Ripken made 19 All-Star teams, won a "Rookie of the Year" award and two league MVP award, hit over 400 home runs and collected over 3,000 hits, won two Gold Gloves, eight Silver Slugger awards, and led the Orioles to the World Championship in 1983.

Ripken is often ranked in the top 40 baseball players of all-time, which would put him in the top seventh of all Hall of Famers. He finished first among shortstops in All-Century voting, even passing the greatest shortstop of all-time, Honus Wagner.

Some of what Luther left out of the Ripken = meh article

As of 2008, Cal Ripken, Jr. is regarded as an idol in Baltimore and is considered to be arguably the greatest shortstop who ever lived. He is revered for his amazing streak of playing in 2,632 consecutive games. He was a role model for children everywhere, demonstrating the importance of just going out there every day and doing his job. Along the way, Ripken made 19 All-Star teams, won a "Rookie of the Year" award and two league MVP award, hit over 400 home runs and collected over 3,000 hits, won two Gold Gloves, eight Silver Slugger awards, and led the Orioles to the World Championship in 1983.

Ripken is often ranked in the top 40 baseball players of all-time, which would put him in the top seventh of all Hall of Famers. He finished first among shortstops in All-Century voting, even passing the greatest shortstop of all-time, Honus Wagner.

Yeah, but he played injured 3 whole times. What a wanker.

This is the Super Wild Card. So I slept by my wife and tucked my daughter in, the night I started feeling sick. 0/4 in my house fell ill. Tons of my patients have only had one or two family members get sick. 15 months of experience tells me that the protection rate of similar CVs or other factors might approximate 50%.
I was thinking somewhere near 40% based on households I’ve seen. Even if you say it’s 20%, add in the percentage of the population with the vaccine, and then add those who already had the virus but not the vaccine and we have to be approaching 70%, if not over that amount. If the 40% is correct then this thing is pretty much over.

Reactions: kiddiedoc

VN Store

Back