Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

The ease of spread you're also showing means that most of us have already had and passed the virus and probably didn't even realize it.

I would say that people would be shocked at how many tens of millions of Americans have had it and already recovered without even knowing it.

My friends step daughter had it (yes, tested positive too) and her only symptom was a sore throat for about two hours. Now that begs the question, how many other stories are out there just like that and those people just ignored their symptoms and never got tested?

I would say that people would be shocked at how many tens of millions of Americans have had it and already recovered without even knowing it.

My friends step daughter had it (yes, tested positive too) and her only symptom was a sore throat for about two hours. Now that begs the question, how many other stories are out there just like that and those people just ignored their symptoms and never got tested?

More amateur epidemiologists that get one or two anecdotes in their heads and they extrapolate their "data" to 30 million Americans. Stupid is as stupid does.

The CDC (I think) estimates the number of people infected to be as high as 10 times the number of positives.

CDC said that in May. That number is probably lower at this point since testing is so much greater.
I do agree with this, but it's still significantly higher than the known infection rate. I would say nearly every kid in school, working adult, etc has had mild cold symptoms at some point this year, and that absolutely could have been CV infection. We aren't getting tested every time we get congested or a little tired with a headache.

More recent antibody seroprevalence studies have found a c. 5x positivity rate to confirmed cases. If that range (5-10x) holds true, 13.6 M "cases" could actually mean as many as 70-140 million people have had the virus. Again, assuming immunity lasts for at least 6 months (as the most recent research has suggested) and a decent background immunity rate (c 50%?), we could be approaching sufficient transmission to progress towards herd immunity in the next month or two.

If we could get the elderly/at-risk immunized ASAP, this seems like a very nice combined strategy for returning to "normal" by spring.

I do agree with this, but it's still significantly higher than the known infection rate. I would say nearly every kid in school, working adult, etc has had mild cold symptoms at some point this year, and that absolutely could have been CV infection. We aren't getting tested every time we get congested or a little tired with a headache.

More recent antibody seroprevalence studies have found a c. 5x positivity rate to confirmed cases. If that range (5-10x) holds true, 13.6 M "cases" could actually mean as many as 70-140 million people have had the virus. Again, assuming immunity lasts for at least 6 months (as the most recent research has suggested) and a decent background immunity rate (c 50%?), we could be approaching sufficient transmission to progress towards herd immunity in the next month or two.

If we could get the elderly/at-risk immunized ASAP, this seems like a very nice combined strategy for returning to "normal" by spring.
I'm strongly of the belief that this has also been here longer than we think.

Do we really believe this virus started in Wuhan, one of China's big industrial cities with a lot of travel in and out, back in November and didn't get to the US til February?

I had been in DC in mid-December last year, and around New Year got crushed by the worst chest cough, fever, and fatigue I've ever had, that lasted up until a trip to India in mid-January and only cleared up while I was overseas. Is it not theoretically possible that that could have been COVID?

More amateur epidemiologists that get one or two anecdotes in their heads and they extrapolate their "data" to 30 million Americans. Stupid is as stupid does.

With over 10 million confirmed cases, you just look ignorant to claim 30 million actual cases is beyond belief. You should try becoming more informed.

Very interesting article. It contrasts what we read in this country:

The reported rate of false positives—that is, a test that says you have the virus when you actually do not—is 5% or lower."

Just how reliable are COVID-19 tests? Experts weigh in

So what are we to believe? I see tons of asymptomatic folks testing positive but we also can't deny that hospitals are busier than ever treating C19 patients so there definitely is a spike going on.

I don't know what to believe anymore

Thousands......they put you out at my work now bc of something as small as a runny nose.... we had a few people in the beginning work with barely noticeable symptoms that ended up testing positive.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Very interesting article. It contrasts what we read in this country:

Just how reliable are COVID-19 tests? Experts weigh in

So what are we to believe? I see tons of asymptomatic folks testing positive but we also can't deny that hospitals are busier than ever treating C19 patients so there definitely is a spike going on.

I don't know what to believe anymore
This is why I wish that they would just give straight facts to the American people..... too many times they intertwine opinion with fact that is hard to know what to believe...... I do believe that a spike will happen now through March..... it’s virus season..... we deal with 5-6 different kind of viruses during this time of year at my facility.

Reactions: Sandman 423
One piece of anecdotal evidence from my building...... with over 100+ confirmed...... none currently at this time though..... we have not yet had a single person become sick/infected a second time.

The article didn't seem to address that 2020 does show an excess of deaths from recent yrs

To be exact, the researchers reported that 299,028 more people died from Jan. 26 to Oct. 3 this year than on average during the same stretch from 2015 to 2019.

Amid Covid-19 pandemic, U.S. has seen 300,000 ‘excess deaths'

Once again, us citizens are being fed conflicting data depending on what we read

I'm strongly of the belief that this has also been here longer than we think.

Do we really believe this virus started in Wuhan, one of China's big industrial cities with a lot of travel in and out, back in November and didn't get to the US til February?

I had been in DC in mid-December last year, and around New Year got crushed by the worst chest cough, fever, and fatigue I've ever had, that lasted up until a trip to India in mid-January and only cleared up while I was overseas. Is it not theoretically possible that that could have been COVID?

It was here by Dec at the latest.

That people are sick is not the hoax.

That people felt the need to shut down schools, businesses, travel, etc over a sickness that for the most part kills very old and/or sick people, is the hoax.

I don't support mass shutdowns but the purpose of those shutdowns was to keep the health system from getting overwhelmed. In that vane, it's not a hoax. Overwhelming our healthcare system is a real issue. Here in SW Ohio many hospitals are postponing elective surgeries

I don't support mass shutdowns but the purpose of those shutdowns was to keep the health system from getting overwhelmed. In that vane, it's not a hoax. Overwhelming our healthcare system is a real issue. Here in SW Ohio many hospitals are postponing elective surgeries

And the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We dont need to shut down public schools to prevent the healthcare system being overwhelmed.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back