Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

I’ve tested positive. Been feeling like crap since Sunday. Symptoms are mild, though. Low grade fever that comes and goes, headache, and a light cough. Taste and smell are unaffected so far.
I hate that I’m going to miss work and I hate that my fiancé and granddaughter will have to quarantine along with me.

This is basically the exact symptoms NGV and I had . The only difference is that I would be gassed just walking up the stair , seriously it was a chore to go upstairs and I just wanted to sleep .

Reactions: StarRaider
I also wonder if they will develop a "dispenser-type" system, as opening and closing storage would be very difficult while maintaining that temperature.

I listened to an interview with Gen Perna on my evening commute yesterday discussing logistics. He referenced dry ice in small containers to distribute the vaccine, and it could be administered up to five days after thawing.

A few interesting tidbits on the Pfizer vaccine from our hospital briefing today:

- no trials yet in <16 year olds. IMO: this likely means there will be no child vaccination for at least another year.

- the temperature requirements provide a huge challenge for distribution and storage. The current vaccine requires -94 F refrigeration. (!!!)

- at least two doses are required

- this is a very new technology (mRNA instructing our own cells to make a protein that can be recognized by our immune cells, which would then learn to produce antibodies)

- efficacy was good, no major side effects in the 40,000+ participants
-94 F? Wow.....

Reactions: 508mikey
I think this one will be given to folks for about 6 mos and then other vaccines will take over. I can foresee folks, particularly vulnerable folks like eldering, health care providers etc, getting this vaccine now and then getting say the Johnson & Johnson vaccine a yr from now
Apparently there is a big stability issue with this vaccine. It has to be stored at -70 degrees. Most facilities don’t have that capability. Getting it out and distributed will be a big problem just based on storage requirements alone.

Edit: just saw the extensive conversation about it after reading your post

Apparently there is a big stability issue with this vaccine. It has to be stored at -70 degrees. Most facilities don’t have that capability. Getting it out and distributed will be a big problem just based on storage requirements alone.

I'm sure it will be overcome, this is America, not some 3rd world s hole.

Liquid nitrogen or dry ice either one, will keep it cold enough.

I actually use liquid nitrogen in my own lab.

The local welding supplier brings me a tank whenever I need it and I forklift it onto a weigh scale right next to my desk. Each tank holds about 400 pounds.

Good job Kelvin!

That would be news to me. If true, would help a lot.

I don't have a link, so I certainly wouldn't claim this as anything more than hearsay. He did say that on NPR yesterday evening. I would imagine more details will be out soon regarding the distribution plan.

Edit: I found the link. Unless I'm misunderstanding him, he references the five day stability after thaw at around the 2:30 mark in the interview.

Operation Warp Speed's Logistics Chief Weighs In On Vaccine Progress

Last edited:
Wonder if the Biden administration has the same opinion as Melinda Gates and think that it should be allocated based on skin color and race? We already know based on his inclusion of Ezekiel Emanuel that elderly people will be at the back of the line
Here in the United States, it’s going to be Black people who really should get it first and many indigenous people, as well as people with underlying symptoms, and then elderly people.”
Bill And Melinda Gates Have Sharp Words For U.S.’ Lack Of Leadership Role In Fighting Pandemic

Reactions: 508mikey
A few interesting tidbits on the Pfizer vaccine from our hospital briefing today:

- no trials yet in <16 year olds. IMO: this likely means there will be no child vaccination for at least another year.

- the temperature requirements provide a huge challenge for distribution and storage. The current vaccine requires -94 F refrigeration. (!!!)

- at least two doses are required

- this is a very new technology (mRNA instructing our own cells to make a protein that can be recognized by our immune cells, which would then learn to produce antibodies)

- efficacy was good, no major side effects in the 40,000+ participants

I haven’t read in articles yet on it , I know you said there were no major side affects, do you know what the side affects have been in general ? I understand there are probably a wide variety but is there anything that seems to be common ?

Wonder if the Biden administration has the same opinion as Melinda Gates and think that it should be allocated based on skin color and race?

Bill And Melinda Gates Have Sharp Words For U.S.’ Lack Of Leadership Role In Fighting Pandemic

the crazy thing about that statement (coming from a smart person) is that being black or indigenous is irrelevant if you don't have the health characteristics that make you more susceptible. It's a poor proxy for your risk and there are more precise indicators. IOW - it isn't "science" driving the choice; it's political views.

the crazy thing about that statement (coming from a smart person) is that being black or indigenous is irrelevant if you don't have the health characteristics that make you more susceptible. It's a poor proxy for your risk and there are more precise indicators. IOW - it isn't "science" driving the choice; it's political views.
Precisely. It’s another way for the liberal elites to deliver social justice and feel good about themselves.

I haven’t read in articles yet on it , I know you said there were no major side affects, do you know what the side affects have been in general ? I understand there are probably a wide variety but is there anything that seems to be common ?
I do not. I read "similar mild effects as with other vaccines," which would likely mean injection site tenderness, malaise, low grade fever, etc

Reactions: StarRaider
My concerns would be long term (maybe even decades). Sending in new genetic info would raise the questions of later malignant potential, damage to gametes/dividing cells, autoimmune trigger, potential buildup of the novel protein in tissues/fluids/brain, etc

Reactions: 0nelilreb
My concerns would be long term (maybe even decades). Sending in new genetic info would raise the questions of later malignant potential, damage to gametes/dividing cells, autoimmune trigger, potential buildup of the novel protein in tissues/fluids/brain, etc

Yea. I can see taking this if you're 60 or older. And absolutely not taking it if you're under 30. Between those 2 ages it is a bit of a gamble.

VN Store

Back