Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

No, according to Ernst and Young, states who rejected expanded Medicaid were going to lose rural hospitals. That forecast was made in 2012 and it has come true.
might want to actual discuss the issue with real Hospital executives and doctors; maybe then you will be educated on reality

You are so wrong it is not even funny. Medicaid expansion funneled more money to rural hospitals. However Conservative governors that refused to expand to satisfy their base doomed rural hospitals.
More Rural Hospitals Closing in States Refusing Medicaid Coverage Expansion
city center
One of the reasons rural hospitals needed that money is because some people that don't have insurance, use the emergency room as a doctors office. If they can't pay, the hospital eats that or passes it on to the other patients. In city centers, that margin does not affect their bottom line as much. More patients, more money to cover costs.

I've posted links showing 5 of the 10 states facing the most closures are states that expanded medicare.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Point me to where the WHO said the US would soon have cases down to zero? I'll wait.

That was a very specific comment related very specifically to the first 15 cases inside the U.S. and made on Feb 27:
Of the 15 people — the “original 15,” as I call them — 8 of them have returned to their homes, to stay in their homes until fully recovered. One is in the hospital and five have fully recovered. And one is, we think, in pretty good shape and it’s in between hospital and going home.
So we have a total of — but we have a total of 15 people, and they’re in a process of recovering, with some already having fully recovered.

See how context works? You're welcome.

It's due to having the normal business of the hospitals stifled by governors' overreaction:

“Like many other healthcare systems across the nation and around the world, the COVID-19 virus has placed tremendous financial pressure on MUSC Health,” it reads. “To help flatten the curve of the COVID-19 pandemic, South Carolina government officials encouraged social distancing strategies and urged all hospitals to halt or significantly reduce surgical procedures and other patient care activities that were not urgent or emergent.
Since, it continues, MUSC Health surgical volume is down 75%. Ambulatory encounters are down 70% and inpatient encounters are down 30%. https://www.heraldonline.com/news/coronavirus/article241834871.html

This is happening nationally. Coronavirus pandemic jobs: US health care workers furloughed, laid off
twas not an overreaction....there is an actual pandemic going on right now. So the reaction was in line with what needed to be done.

You are so wrong it is not even funny. Medicaid expansion funneled more money to rural hospitals. However Conservative governors that refused to expand to satisfy their base doomed rural hospitals.
More Rural Hospitals Closing in States Refusing Medicaid Coverage Expansion
city center
One of the reasons rural hospitals needed that money is because some people that don't have insurance, use the emergency room as a doctors office. If they can't pay, the hospital eats that or passes it on to the other patients. In city centers, that margin does not affect their bottom line as much. More patients, more money to cover costs.
again, talk to actual hospital executives or boards, and physicians... you know...real-world knowledge, not political lobbyist groups...
ACA helped exacerbate the opioid crisis, and forced several regulations on hospitals which gave them monetary penalties for everything from how many homeless people they "should see" a month, to how many team members have a flu shot, to how many patients a doctor could see and how many Medicare patients they "must" see a month, etc.

There were a lot of regulations that only large hospitals could withstand, it killed smaller hospitals who were independent because medicare and other insurance companies base their payments on things like location and population density mixed with government regulation requirements. It cost UTMC (who is a not for profit) and has more money than anyone not named Vanderbilt in the state millions for 2 years and they were abiding by the regulations properly. A smaller hospital would not have been able to survive and keep up its excellent care as well

That takes what she’s saying out of context. She’s essentially saying that fewer people working = faster the virus dies off.

She’s making a value judgement that life > money. Which isn’t wrong. Essentially everybody is performing that same analysis and almost everybody is coming to the same conclusion she did. It’s not like she’s some social deviant advocating for more people to suffer.

I agree that her end conclusion is wrong because a) most states are not trying to eradicate the virus with social distancing, but to maintain it at medically manageable levels and b) as has been pointed out over the last several days, not every area is at risk of reaching critical levels.
There is a significant difference between practicing social distancing and losing your job. She could make these reckless statements because she probably alwways works remotely and her typical lunch interaction involves texting the people at the table with her. I guarantee if Trump made the same statement impeachment articles would have already been served. And since she's a journalist she should be very aware of her words and how they might be interpreted...... I as an engineer get a break ;)

again, talk to actual hospital executives or boards, and physicians... you know...real-world knowledge, not political lobbyist groups...
ACA helped exacerbate the opioid crisis, and forced several regulations on hospitals which gave them monetary penalties for everything from how many homeless people they "should see" a month, to how many team members have a flu shot, to how many patients a doctor could see and how many Medicare patients they "must" see a month, etc.

There were a lot of regulations that only large hospitals could withstand, it killed smaller hospitals who were independent because medicare and other insurance companies base their payments on things like location and population density mixed with government regulation requirements. It cost UTMC (who is a not for profit) and has more money than anyone not named Vanderbilt in the state millions for 2 years and they were abiding by the regulations properly. A smaller hospital would not have been able to survive and keep up its excellent care as well
OK boss....

That was a very specific comment related very specifically to the first 15 cases inside the U.S. and made on Feb 27:
Of the 15 people — the “original 15,” as I call them — 8 of them have returned to their homes, to stay in their homes until fully recovered. One is in the hospital and five have fully recovered. And one is, we think, in pretty good shape and it’s in between hospital and going home.
So we have a total of — but we have a total of 15 people, and they’re in a process of recovering, with some already having fully recovered.

See how context works? You're welcome.

Where did WHO say we'd be down to zero? The premise I was contesting was that Trump's statements tracked those made by WHO. So please, take those goalposts and put 'em back where they were.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Feel free to bump the post where I said that in regards to a model from April.

You commented on the difficulties of projections due to the wildcard of actions by governors. I pointed out a model with significant errors, that was created after the governors actions.

Reactions: VolnJC
I’ve heard the virus coming in 2021 can only infect you if you own firearms. Prepare yourself.

I think "stand your ground" allows for defensive force to be used against the virus. However, I think this could also apply to those reckless types trying to shake your hand.

Where did WHO say we'd be down to zero? The premise I was contesting was that Trump's statements tracked those made by WHO. So please, take those goalposts and put 'em back where they were.

I guess it was the WHO or CDC who told Trump it was that "one person from china", and that "it's under control".

The best defense, I think I've heard, anyway, was something about "satire".

You commented on the difficulties of projections due to the wildcard of actions by governors. I pointed out a model with significant errors, that was created after the governors actions.
Congratulations. You have, with no indication to the contrary from me, pointed out that there are multiple variables affecting projections.

VN Store

Back