Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

more detail on lockdown

Wuhan and Huanggang locked down, disrupting Lunar New Year travel plans of millions - CNN

The wearing of face masks is now mandatory in all public places in the city, including hotels, restaurants, parks, cafes, and shopping malls.

"People who don't obey the requirements shall be dealt with by authorities in accordance with their respective duties and laws," a statement from Wuhan's municipal government said on Wednesday.

Authorities in Huanggang, about 80 kilometers (50 miles) east of Wuhan, announced a series of similar measures cutting off the city as of midnight local time (11 a.m. ET on Thursday).
Government officials said in a statement that the city's subway and train stations will close, per a report in the People's Daily, a state-run newspaper. All theaters, internet cafes and indoor public culture, tourism and entertainment facilities in the city will also stop business, People's Daily reported.

Hundreds of thousands of people will likely be affected. The entire administrative area of Huanggang has a population of 7.5 million, but People's Daily reported that the lockdown only applies to the urban area, which is only a part of the total population.

In Ezhou, the city's railway station has been closed "in order to fully conduct prevention and control of the new type of pneumonia ... effectively cut off the transmission of the virus, resolutely curb the spread of the epidemic, and ensure the safety and health of the people," according to a statement from city's Coronavirus Disease Prevention Control Headquarters on Thursday.

We've been talking about it a little in the China thread. Close to 20 million people have been placed on lock down. The first death outside of Wuhan was reported today bringing the deaths to 18 "confirmed" by the Chinese government. I suspect its a lot worse than what they're telling us.

We've been talking about it a little in the China thread. Close to 20 million people have been placed on lock down. The first death outside of Wuhan was reported today bringing the deaths to 18 "confirmed" by the Chinese government. I suspect its a lot worse than what they're telling us.

Didn't see that thread. Thanks

Merge if necessary

I read earlier it originated from snakes at an exotic meat market and jumped to humans there. Scary stuff.

It would not fly here. No chance of quarantining a whole city.

Its not working in China either. There was a woman that took some antipyretic to reduce her fever to get through the checkpoints and than traveled to Paris. Not even dictatorships can totally lock down 11 million people without someone breaking loose.

Didn't see that thread. Thanks

Merge if necessary

Its all good, I think as this goes on it might be better to have a single source for those that want to talk about it. Few things scare me but the one thing that does is this scenario involving viruses or biological agents being let free.

Its not working in China either. There was a woman that took some antipyretic to reduce her fever to get through the checkpoints and than traveled to Paris. Not even dictatorships can totally lock down 11 million people without someone breaking loose.

There would be riots here.

And I agree with your earlier posts, I highly doubt China is letting the whole story out.

Its all good, I think as this goes on it might be better to have a single source for those that want to talk about it. Few things scare me but the one thing that does is this scenario involving viruses or biological agents being let free.

Yep - it's in Hong Kong now.

Watch it spread in the South. There's a huge Chinese population in Atlanta. Our government is already scanning people at that airport. I mentioned it in the China thread, but we don't know the mortality rate of this outbreak. We know that 18 people have been reported to die from it, but how long did they have the disease and how many people have survived it? Maybe many of the people fighting it right now are just on borrowed time.

Watch it spread in the South. There's a huge Chinese population in Atlanta. Our government is already scanning people at that airport. I mentioned it in the China thread, but we don't know the mortality rate of this outbreak. We know that 18 people have been reported to die from it, but how long did they have the disease and how many people have survived it? Maybe many of the people fighting it right now are just on borrowed time.

Well if there are 500 or so confirmed cases and 18 dead that's not a great ratio 3- 4% kill ratio. 35K for every million that contract it. Early results may be extreme but dang

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Well if there are 500 or so confirmed cases and 18 dead that's not a great ratio 3- 4% kill ratio. 35K for every million that contract it. Early results may be extreme but dang
Right, but again we are missing key facts. We don't know if 50% of those who contract will die. Lots of info is missing. Going on what we know right now, it doesn't sound any worse than the flu as far as the mortality rate. Their shutting down travel makes me think its going to be way worse than that 3 - 4%.

VN Store

Back