Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

It's one thing to buy up rare My Little Ponies and sell those at extravagant prices; quite another to do it with supplies needed in a pandemic.
If the prices had been higher he probably wouldn't have bought so many. Lots of studies out there on it if you're interested in more than a knee jerk reaction

I was averaging out. I dont know how the trajectory on it was.

Millions? How many have died in China?
Not in China. Here or Italy

This was interesting though obviously math isnt my best area

Talked to a friend last night who is from Italy Ann's his parents still live there. His mom told him it feels like ww2 all over again with the lockdown. I just can't see that reaction happening here

The vast majority that get it wont need treatment. Hell, half will probably never realize they had it.
True but we cannot handle a mild outbreak medically. In Italy right now they are having to decide who to let die due to a lack of ventilators. If we slow the roll fewer people die due to availability of equipment.

True but we cannot handle a mild outbreak medically. In Italy right now they are having to decide who to let die due to a lack of ventilators. If we slow the roll fewer people die due to availability of equipment.
Even in the long run? I dont know Im just asking. Everyone is certain about this slowing the curve. Does slowing the curve have any drawbacks?

I love how Italy is the new world barometer for healthcare.

It should be common sense that people buy less when the price is higher but the studies exist for those who disagree
Surprised stores haven't done more surge pricing.

Illustration-price-relationship-demand.jpg

That's nice but once past 101 you learn about things like govt price controls
According to that Times article, it's the private market doing the price controls. Amazon and Ebay are the ones shutting down price gougers.

Isn't the free market wonderful?

I liked it, but not sure I should completely.

At some point nature can impose its will. That's part of life.
We are probably overreacting to all this but itโ€™s certainly understandable considering the situation in China and Italy.
Iโ€™m going about business as usual but Iโ€™m in a low risk business. We just donโ€™t encounter a lot of people on a daily basis. Now Iโ€™m taking my lunch to minimize contact but other than that itโ€™s pretty much business as usual

Research indicates that measures must be applied rigorously and immediately in order to be effective.[19] During the 1918 flu pandemic, authorities in the US implemented school closures, bans on public gatherings, and other social distancing interventions in Philadelphia and in St. Louis, but in Philadelphia the delay of five days in initiating these measures allowed transmission rates to double three to five times, whereas a more immediate response in St. Louis was significant in reducing transmission there.[20] Bootsma and Ferguson analyzed social distancing interventions in 16 US cities during the 1918 epidemic and found that time-limited interventions reduced total mortality only moderately (perhaps 10โ€“30%), and that the impact was often very limited because the interventions were introduced too late and lifted too early. It was observed that several cities experienced a second epidemic peak after social distancing controls were lifted, because susceptible individuals who had been protected were now exposed.

Warning Wikipedia is written by only a handful of people and may contain bias.

According to that Times article, it's the private market doing the price controls. Amazon and Ebay are the ones shutting down price gougers.

Isn't the free market wonderful?
Following the path blazed by the govt. There are still markets available

VN Store

Back