Late Kick Josh has been talking Vols a lot lately

Starting to agree with me? 😁

While I don't have posters of him hanging up on my bedroom wall like certain posters who will remain anonymous (cough, 'Rona boy, cough), I was all for hiring him back in 2017. The biggest concern for him is will be he able to get away with the stuff at UF that he got away with at MSU (Newton, Simmons, Leo Lewis) if they become a threat to Bama...

Reactions: The Original Fade
You keep making the best case for qb play trumping coaching when comparing Florida to Tennessee in 2019. JG if ranked today would obviously not be a highly ranked duel threat QB. I think you can make a good case that he is not even a highly ranked single threat QB. Florida's qb goes through his progressions faster and cleaner, delivers it quicker, makes better decision and is far more accurate. He is more of a duel threat. He has a better feel for pressure and is just a far more natural quarterback. JG playing in NJ was just highly, highly overrated. It's not his fault. He has flaws with a slow release and slow decision making which causes him and our offense issues. To his credit, he has had game where he played better than he did against Florida, but he has also had games where he didn't. If we switched qbs with Florida our predicted wins for the season would flip flop with them.

JG is certainly a VFL and by all accounts a great guy - but so far, I am not sure how much of a threat of any kind he has been. The only plus being that he tended to hold on to the ball when getting clobbered vs panic tossing it into traffic.

You keep making the best case for qb play trumping coaching when comparing Florida to Tennessee in 2019. JG if ranked today would obviously not be a highly ranked duel threat QB. I think you can make a good case that he is not even a highly ranked single threat QB. Florida's qb goes through his progressions faster and cleaner, delivers it quicker, makes better decision and is far more accurate. He is more of a duel threat. He has a better feel for pressure and is just a far more natural quarterback. JG playing in NJ was just highly, highly overrated. It's not his fault. He has flaws with a slow release and slow decision making which causes him and our offense issues. To his credit, he has had game where he played better than he did against Florida, but he has also had games where he didn't. If we switched qbs with Florida our predicted wins for the season would flip flop with them.

In 2018, we had a first time head coach, a first time P5 OC, and first time P5 QB coach. Maybe that was part of the reason the QB play was so bad. Maybe Florida's coaches were better adapted to minimize the weaknesses and maximize the strengths of their QB...

Reactions: The Original Fade
I think when CJP came to TN, there were problems with the program that went much deeper than just talent. He had to do some house cleaning to get rid of a few bad eggs and it took some time before the team bought into what the staff was doing. The team was not very well prepared to begin the season in 2019, that must change in 2020. I am still in the show me something camp, we'll see soon enough.

Fla. lost quite a bit of their class a couple of cycles ago; not sure if it was grades or arrests or what.

I like what he is saying for the most part... But i dont believe we are a few years behind UF as far as roster goes, if we secure this upcoming class the case can be made we are equal in terms of overall talent...i maybe wrong but just my two cents
Totally agree. We had the RB and WR talent last year to really do something. Problems were in the Oline and especially at QB. JG would play brilliant and then put a bag over his head. We've plugged the Oline gaps, especially with Cade Mayes coming on board. Mayes, his brother, and big Trey on the line. That'll be awesome. My take is Mullen is still getting the pieces for his system together.

Reactions: tennesseepride84
We are passing them as we speak. Look at our recruiting rankings vs. theirs - look at who we are in on - vs. them.
We are pretty comparable today - next season likely better than them imo.
We are still in the month of May. Aurburn's recruiting like Bama and Georgia will go up later in the year. Don't let our current rankings fool you. There will be a massive decommitment later too

I agree with you but to think we passed Auburn is dumb. We got lucky beating them a couple years ago. Don't let that fool you in thinking we are better than them. Hell they beat Bama more in the last 15 years than us. Are we getting closer to passing them sure I'd agree with that.
Luck had nothing to do with beating Auburn 2 years ago. We caught them at a good time schedule wise and executed a really good game plan coming off a bye week. Amazing how when we win the way it's supposed to look a guy like you claims it was lucky.

Luck had nothing to do with beating Auburn 2 years ago. We caught them at a good time schedule wise and executed a really good game plan coming off a bye week. Amazing how when we win the way it's supposed to look a guy like you claims it was lucky.
So playing us playing good for one game wasn't lucky huh? Cause the other 11games that year that solidify the norm would say otherwise

So playing us playing good for one game wasn't lucky huh? Cause the other 11games that year that solidify the norm would say otherwise
Do you not think its possible for a team to play at their best even during a bad season? Each game and situation is different, the Vols outplayed Auburn that day, luck had nothing to do with it.

Reactions: VOLINVONORE
The final score in 2019 was 34-3. One team was QB'ed by the #1 (and consensus top 3) dual threat upperclassman QB and the other was QB'ed by a guy making first college start and a HS backup QB his last 3 yrs in HS. Wanna guess which team had which player?

I understand what you are saying. However I think most will tell you that the #1 rating was maybe a little overboard. We have seen that his problems are not just "development". On top of that the current staff hasn't/didn't have enough time to do the development thing. As to the high school backup, maybe a late bloomer or was not the kid of "the man" around town. (happens) Either way he was good enough.

That Auburn team played in the MCB. Quite an outlier for that program...

It should (but doesnt) go both ways. Pruitt outcoached Malzahn just like he's outcoached Stoops both years.

I think our QB was the reason for significantly better QB play.

Maybe the worst pass in the history of football.

People always bring up how we were soooo outclassed in that game and how there was such a talent disparity.

The biggest disparity was at the QB position.

Some adequate QB play and its a lot closer.

People always bring up how we were soooo outclassed in that game and how there was such a talent disparity.

The QB position and OLine have Recently cost us a lot of games.

Pate thinks we probably have to beat one of the big four in order to keep some of these recruits we have.

Anybody else share that sentiment?

I was thinking 9-4 with respectable showings against the big four plus a bowl win would do the trick.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

Why don't you show the pass JJ let go through his hands in the endzone that got intercepted, or maybe show us the play where our guy is going in for the....wait they caught him and he fumbled at the 1. Every game is different for several reasons, that game should have been 14-10 at worst but because of the dropped TD turned int and a missed non fumble call at the goal line right before half as well as JGs bad pass it was 17-3 at the half. Our entire team played bad that day, Pruitt ripped them for it in a team meeting, ran off several including a couple of veteran LBs, replaced our starting QB, held everyone left accountable and from that point forward we've looked like a decent SEC team, and that includes JG.

VN Store

Back