Last year vs this year…

ThreatLevelOrange

Wish that I was on ol’ Rocky Top
In 2021, we were 1-3 in games decided by 1 score. Florida game could’ve been closer, but we dropped a key pass.

In 2022, we are 2-0. One game was won by D and one game was won by O.

The team and even the coaches are learning to win and getting better. Most of us agree that throwing a 2 yard pass on 4th and 3 almost cost us the game. Heupel will adjust. He’s not Jones or Pruitt.

Last edited:
I've posted it before and I'll post it again and again. And to be fair, I got this off a podcast I listen to, but the wisdom is there and its the truth.

Teams in a turnaround under a good coach follow a path. The first year, they look competitive in most games, inconsistent, lose close ones. The second year, they start winning some of the close ones. Maybe still inconsistent with a couple big losses to obviously better teams, but they start finding ways to win those close games and that's important. By year 3, they're blowing away lower competition, surprising some big teams, and finding ways to win way more often than not.

We are two seasons removed from 3 wins. We had an undefeated September for the first time in half a decade. This coach, and this team, are on the right track, and it seems to be only Tennessee fans that can't see it.

I've posted it before and I'll post it again and again. And to be fair, I got this off a podcast I listen to, but the wisdom is there and its the truth.

Teams in a turnaround under a good coach follow a path. The first year, they look competitive in most games, inconsistent, lose close ones. The second year, they start winning some of the close ones. Maybe still inconsistent with a couple big losses to obviously better teams, but they start finding ways to win those close games and that's important. By year 3, they're blowing away lower competition, surprising some big teams, and finding ways to win way more often than not.

We are two seasons removed from 3 wins. We had an undefeated September for the first time in half a decade. This coach, and this team, are on the right track, and it seems to be only Tennessee fans that can't see it.
Totally agree with you, we are getting better and learning to win. I just hated the play calling and the slowdown in the 4th quarter on offense. Our game plan is to go fast and not let the other team have time to think, why would we go away from that late in the 4th?

Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
I have been saying catching crap all morning for saying the same thing.
Well I agree with you.

Not saying we throw it, but put in 4 wr to spread the field and the run lanes open up. Also, don’t get Hooker hurt, but he could have run for first down and slide.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer

Well said

Reactions: Weezer

Seems a lot of this board forget we won, are 4-0 in forever, with a good chance being 5-0 when hosting Alabama.

He better.
That last possession offensive play calling was horrendous, reminded one of Butch Jones.
Reminded me of Fulmer playing to run out the clock. Anyone heard why Heupel did not take the field goal there?

Amen!

He better.
That last possession offensive play calling was horrendous, reminded one of Butch Jones.
That better be the last comparison to Butch. I was at the Oklahoma game where his game management cost us a similar opportunity. And that was several possessions, not one play.

There’s no other coach in our lifetime - probably not even Kiffin - who would try for that first down at the end of the first half. And certainly not dial up a bomb to Keaton the next play. Or play for the TD with less than 10 seconds in the first half. Heupel is aggressive.

Last edited:
Take time off clock, good chance of 1st down, 3 pts not a game winner. Want more?
Play calling did not reflect that. Reminded me of Fulmer play calling , not Heupel. It just appeared so conservative we were milkng clock and setting up field goal, then we went for it on 4th. However, a field goal makes it 14 instead of 11. Play calling just changed dramatically.

Play calling did not reflect that. Reminded me of Fulmer play calling , not Heupel. It just appeared so conservative we were milkng clock and setting up field goal, then we went for it on 4th. However, a field goal makes it 14 instead of 11. Play calling just changed dramatically.
That series, as you said, made me think of Fulmer. He was well known for running up the gut late in the game and needing a first down to seal the deal. When it was 4th down and 3, I thought we should have done a pooch kick and try to pin Florida close to their own end zone. I was really hoping we would continue to be aggressive on that last possession and rip their jugular out by going for another score. That's just my opinion.

Totally agree with you, we are getting better and learning to win. I just hated the play calling and the slowdown in the 4th quarter on offense. Our game plan is to go fast and not let the other team have time to think, why would we go away from that late in the 4th?
I think up 11 with under 4 to go you should be trying to bleed Florida of it's timeout's. Yes u could keep bombing but incompletions hurt you more than sacks in this situation. He probably should have tried the FG on 4th but that would be my only issue. As far as the aggressiveness you have remember that if we keep scoring they'll most likely keep scoring to extend the game even longer. They used all 4 downs to get a first down for the entire game. Florida ended up using all their timeouts. Imagine if they had 1 left to draw up that last play of the game.

I think up 11 with under 4 to go you should be trying to bleed Florida of it's timeout's. Yes u could keep bombing but incompletions hurt you more than sacks in this situation. He probably should have tried the FG on 4th but that would be my only issue. As far as the aggressiveness you have remember that if we keep scoring they'll most likely keep scoring to extend the game even longer. They used all 4 downs to get a first down for the entire game. Florida ended up using all their timeouts. Imagine if they had 1 left to draw up that last play of the game.

Yeah I think slowing the game down and milking the clock at 4:00 was absolutely the right thing to do. I just didn't like the play calling there on that last possession. All we needed was one first down and Florida had everybody bunched up in the middle. All Hooker had to do was carry it around the right side and he would've walked over the 1st down line. Then we take a knee and run out the clock, game over.

Some Tennessee fans.

Id wager most if them were upset by the hire amd are salivating for the chance to scream at all others how right they were.

I do think some may be overly excited though...i heard a conversation in a bar Friday night that Georgia was the only team likely to beat us.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

We still have 4 tough games that we could lose and if that happens i will still be on bosrd with this staff. Lose one of the others...and even i will have very big doubts about them.

Yeah I think slowing the game down and milking the clock at 4:00 was absolutely the right thing to do. I just didn't like the play calling there on that last possession. All we needed was one first down and Florida had everybody bunched up in the middle. All Hooker had to do was carry it around the right side and he would've walked over the 1st down line. Then we take a knee and run out the clock, game over.
Or why not run the option play they used against Akron a couple of times? Get the 1st down there, game over.

I agree. Maybe CJH was factoring in the health of HH at that point because he didn't run on any of those 4 downs.

VN Store

Back