Last Year I Quit a Job...

I was once a high school basketball coach. At the time I was still an assistant coach and we had a game scheduled on the night of the 1997 SEC Championship game. Other schools in the area had moved their games up to the early afternoon because of the football game. I suggested to our head coach that we do the same thing, of course I wanted to be home to watch the game. He refused saying " If people would rather stay home and watch Tennessee football then let em." Well they did. We played a varsity basketball game in front of a crowd of about 15-20 people. By the time we paid game officials and security, we lost a couple of hundred dollars from our program. The next season we had a game scheduled on January 4 1999, we rescheduled that game.

Last edited:
Fell out of a tree, refused to go to ER until Fla. game was over.

Cutting limbs 6 yrs ago, branch knocked me out of a tree. I lay on ground unable to breathe until a neighbor came by and got the wife out of the house. They carried me inside, still having difficulty breathing and they wanted to rush me to the ER. I refused until after the game. Later went to clinic, had a few broken ribs, spine was okay. I still can't sleep well at night. Problem is I don't remember who won.
I have to say sir, that is devotion.

Reactions: Samuellbronkowitz
to stay home and watch the Vols at Tourney Time. I'm not even joking. It was a 2nd job I'd taken on for extra money & wasn't really feeling it anyway, so I figured that was as good a reason as I'd find to take that job & shove it, and that's exactly what I did. Seems like there was a poster a few years back who postponed his wedding because it coincided with a Big Orange football game. What's the biggest thing any of you have sacrificed to catch a Vols game?
i quit my 2nd job waiting tables at a cracker barrel to watch the vols and Georgia in 2015 . yest the game where PIG Howard fumbled through the end zone in overtime to loose ......yea that game !!

Not really a sacrifice but an odd story. When my moms cousins passed away, we had the funeral on the day of the 2015 Georgia football game. Well most of the wake was all of us gathered around the TV cheering on the Vols to the big win. It was actually a nice way for everybody to get their minds off everything

I sat in TPAC in the early 2000’s with headphones listening to the football Vols as Stomp was playing and my ex-girlfriend was pissed. I also went to the Utah State game with a terrible case of pneumonia. VFL . I have not missed a football game since 1987. And I never will.

We had two preachers for our wedding and was playing mississippi at home. Wedding was in knoxville. One preacher was Miss. fan other was tenn fan. We could not send out invitations til week before wedding because we had to schedule it around the game. I lived in Bristol she in knoxville. She says to this day. I married her only to have a place to stay at her parents for ball games.

I called in sick to work when we were playing Oklahoma State in '09 during the daytime... and then had to leave Bailey's when a co-worker walked in. And we lost, I have to say it really wasn't worth it.

I had to attend a wedding for my first cousin, during our 2016 opener against App State. I didn’t think much of it because I expected us to take care of business. It was a Midwest wedding, which includes a dinner afterward. The game started during the wedding and after, I propped my phone up against my drinking glass at the dinner table to watch. As the game tensed up in the 4th quarter, I locked myself in a private bathroom at the Country Club and sat on the toilet sweating it out. I had so many dirty looks when I came out. That was a miserable night, eventhough we won.

So yeah, have any of you ever locked yourself in a bathroom at a post wedding dinner?

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I walked out of a job for a season opener a few years back. I was in college and the previous year they made me work every single Saturday The Vols played. I had asked my manager ahead of time if I could leave early for the game to which she said it would be slow and that I had permission to leave. One of the other managers decided to override her and told me they were gonna need me to stay till close. I clocked out in front of his face and walked out the door. Luckily I was one of their better employees and never asked for anything until that day my manager and the owner had my back so I didn’t lose my job. I just got a chewing out.

Not really a sacrifice but an odd story. When my moms cousins passed away, we had the funeral on the day of the 2015 Georgia football game. Well most of the wake was all of us gathered around the TV cheering on the Vols to the big win. It was actually a nice way for everybody to get their minds off everything

Nice way to say goodbye to a dearly departed friend.

If you went to O'Charley's afterwards, my mind will be blown.

When I was a student at UT (1990s), I worked at a Pet Store in West Knoxville. I told the manager that I wasn’t able to work during home game days. Well, they scheduled me for one anyways. I went to him and said I couldn’t do it and politely asked if he could switch me with someone that could. He said no. I quit and walked out.
There it is.

I had to attend a wedding for my first cousin, during our 2016 opener against App State. I didn’t think much of it because I expected us to take care of business. It was a Midwest wedding, which includes a dinner afterward. The game started during the wedding and after, I propped my phone up against my drinking glass at the dinner table to watch. As the game tensed up in the 4th quarter, I locked myself in a private bathroom at the Country Club and sat on the toilet sweating it out. I had so many dirty looks when I came out. That was a miserable night, eventhough we won.

So yeah, have any of you ever locked yourself in a bathroom at a post wedding dinner?

Yes, but it had to do with a Bridesmaid, not a football game.

Weddings during football season are my biggest pet peeve. In the old days I'd wear my Walkman under my coat and listen to Ward thru earbuds. The last wedding I went to was TN vs TX A&M when Kamara went off. We delayed the reception while the Vol fans gathered around smart phones to watch the end of the game.
I’m gonna have to deal with this for the first time this year. My best friend is getting married and I’m his best man. But him and his fiancé are getting married the day of the Florida game. Ugh

Reactions: tn4elvis
I’m gonna have to deal with this for the first time this year. My best friend is getting married and I’m his best man. But him and his fiancé are getting married the day of the Florida game. Ugh
Hes not your best friend if he doesn't have sense enough not to get married on that day.😀

Fell out of a tree, refused to go to ER until Fla. game was over.

Cutting limbs 6 yrs ago, branch knocked me out of a tree. I lay on ground unable to breathe until a neighbor came by and got the wife out of the house. They carried me inside, still having difficulty breathing and they wanted to rush me to the ER. I refused until after the game. Later went to clinic, had a few broken ribs, spine was okay. I still can't sleep well at night. Problem is I don't remember who won.
Safe bet is on Florida, unfortunately. If you don’t remember it, I wouldn’t call that a problem. :)

Ut vs. Notre Dame in Knoxville. Hubby and I had season tickets at the time (still lived in state back then). Parked where we always did and started walking to the game when he doubled over in pain. Kidney stones - he gets them from time to time. We made our way to the Ft. Sanders ER, where they loaded him up with morphine. We got to the game before halftime. Hubby was drugged out of his mind and doesn't remember any of it to this day.

Ut vs. Notre Dame in Knoxville. Hubby and I had season tickets at the time (still lived in state back then). Parked where we always did and started walking to the game when he doubled over in pain. Kidney stones - he gets them from time to time. We made our way to the Ft. Sanders ER, where they loaded him up with morphine. We got to the game before halftime. Hubby was drugged out of his mind and doesn't remember any of it to this day.
That's true love.

When I was a Drill Sergeant at Ft. Jackson, we obviously worked 7 days a week. Well lucky for me, a fellow Drill Sergeant preferred having Sunday's free for the NFL and I preferred Saturdays (duh). We worked it out so she would work all day Saturday (so I could go to the games. I was a season ticket holder then) and I would work all day Sunday. Worked out too, because Sunday's were typically shorter days (and little to no training).

VN Store

Back