Last Season Basketball Results

With poss. 4 players drafted by NBA and having one of the higher pd coaches in the country, did team

• Total voters

orangemadam

I would like to hear from you all regarding last season's results. Considering a possible 4 players off the team being drafted by NBA, AND
considering UT must have one of the best coachs in the country if you go by pay check :

Reactions: TrentVol
For Tennessee Basketball: Overachieved in both
Don’t forget two short years ago, we were hoping just to make the tourney and were satisfied with being a bubble team. This year, if we don’t make the Final Four, season was a failure. Crazy how those guys changed the culture here. I love it

I would like to hear from you all regarding last season's results. Considering a possible 4 players off the team being drafted by NBA, AND
considering UT must have one of the best coachs in the country if you go by pay check :
Assuming vote for under achieved? They also had no top 150 players, so there's case for most view points. I'm disappointed didn't go farther in NCAA, but those things happen in a crazy tourney...Aub was a hair away from losing in first round... In my opinion, we should have won the SEC regular season. All that being said, UT Bball is in a good spot. May be down slightly next year if Grant leaves, but think we'll be in the mix for years to come, and years of enjoyment. SEC getting tougher, so have to learn to struggle thru the regular season and peak in tourney (Calipari model)

I think that’s the part that a lot of ppl tends to forget.. did we want to win it all with this group this year? HELL YEAH, but to be in the conversation among other Basketball powerhouse schools says a lot... i mean this team wasn’t even suppose to be ranked number 1 let alone have the achievements they have accomplished the past 2 seasons!!!

Reactions: tennrich1
Listen, I’m satisfied, especially with the recruits he’s bringing in and the possibility of being good year in and year out. I remember when making the NCAAT was just a pipe dream so I’ll take it. I’m good

Some don't seem to be reading the assumptions. The question isn't comparing one season to the next or one coach to another. Shouldn't matter how many stars they had 3 or 4 years ago.

If you have a roster of 4 NBA players, you wouldn't expect them to be at least elite 8?

A lot of you guys disparage Cal and others because they don't go past the round of 16 when they have 3 or 4 draftees.

Duke had 3 lottery picks and a fourth “one day possible lottery pick” on their team, yet all of there games were close (first game was not real close but was razor tight until sometime in the second half), and they could not get it done. And their coach is paid a lot.

Not saying they don’t ever get it done, and not saying their coach doesn’t have success. Simply answering the question using this years Duke team.

I just know it's been a long time since I have had as much fun watching Tennessee basketball.If everyone is honest,you have to admit for the last two years this team as exceeded expectations by a wide margin!!
Actually this season they underachieved. They were a preseason top 5 team. They were predicted to win the Southeastern Conference Championship. Then they were predicted to win the Southeastern Conference tournament. Then they are predicted to be the last team standing in the NCAA tourney possibly making it to the national championship game. Most people at the very least had them in the Elite 8. Last year I grade they ever achieved. This year they underachieved.

I predicted 24-7 or 23-8, so definite overachieve in regular season. Felt we should probably have made the E8 in the NCAAT, so a slight underachievement there, though due to a really bad call. But it is what it is.

Reactions: hUTch2002
We were absolutely robbed of the Elite 8 with the foul call against Purdue. Regardless, they let it slip away once again. Our guys struggled with consistency, and it showed up at the wrong time of the year.

I will add that the SEC was robbed all together with officiating and the way the teams were seeded.

This won’t last for long work the coaches the SEC now has. Probably why Barnes likes the UCLA profile. By the way, who is the 4th? Bowden?

Actually this season they underachieved. They were a preseason top 5 team. They were predicted to win the Southeastern Conference Championship. Then they were predicted to win the Southeastern Conference tournament. Then they are predicted to be the last team standing in the NCAA tourney possibly making it to the national championship game. Most people at the very least had them in the Elite 8. Last year I grade they ever achieved. This year they underachieved.

They were predicted to finish second in the regular season, and KY was predicted to win the championship. They started 6th, and finished 8th. They were predicted to win 24 regular season games and then 29 total, Tennessee was predicted to make it to the elite 8..........they had roughly just a 20% prediction rating of going further.

We the fans may have wanted more, and many thought it would be more; however they were right where they were predicted to be........except they won several more reg season games and also lost in the S16 by a last second foul............but really Tennessee’s pre season predictions were spot on.

lol how do u overachieve in a REGULAR season and underachieve in the Tourney. The Tourney is the season. Nothing else matters
Regular season championships matter. Preseason tournament championships matter. Keeping the #1 ranking for a month matters. Do these things matter as much as a Final 4 run? No. But they do matter.

I get it but basically the same team they fielded the prior year had a significantly better regular season, beat a top 10 Kentucky team 2 out of 3 times including in the SEC tournament where we never seem to beat KY, and advanced further in the NCAA tournament losing in a crazy finish to a Big 10 team. So is it that they underachieved or is it also possible that maybe the expectations were a touch high? Satisfaction is perceived result less expectations. If you expected them to have the same year they had last year you would say we greatly overachieved. It’s reasonable to think we would take a step forward and we did but once we won all those games in a row the expectations of this team changed when it turns out that was more a result of an unbalanced schedule.

They were predicted to finish second in the regular season, and KY was predicted to win the championship. They started 6th, and finished 8th. They were predicted to win 24 regular season games and then 29 total, Tennessee was predicted to make it to the elite 8..........they had roughly just a 20% prediction rating of going further.

We the fans may have wanted more, and many thought it would be more; however they were right where they were predicted to be........except they won several more reg season games and also lost in the S16 by a last second foul............but really Tennessee’s pre season predictions were spot on.
You looked at the outlier in every prediction you just quoted. Most had Tennessee winning the conference..vegas had Tennessee winning the tournament. Most prognosticators had Tennessee making it to final four ( thus the #1 ranking for 4 weeks). Preseason I saw them anywhere from ranked 3rd to 6th. I split the middle.

I get it but basically the same team they fielded the prior year had a significantly better regular season, beat a top 10 Kentucky team 2 out of 3 times including in the SEC tournament where we never seem to beat KY, and advanced further in the NCAA tournament losing in a crazy finish to a Big 10 team. So is it that they underachieved or is it also possible that maybe the expectations were a touch high? Satisfaction is perceived result less expectations. If you expected them to have the same year they had last year you would say we greatly overachieved. It’s reasonable to think we would take a step forward and we did but once we won all those games in a row the expectations of this team changed when it turns out that was more a result of an unbalanced schedule.
The problem is when you have everybody back from the year before it is assumed you will be better than the year before(more experienced, another year in system,etc).

You looked at the outlier in every prediction you just quoted. Most had Tennessee winning the conference..vegas had Tennessee winning the tournament. Most prognosticators had Tennessee making it to final four ( thus the #1 ranking for 4 weeks). Preseason I saw them anywhere from ranked 3rd to 6th. I split the middle.
Pretty sure that’s all BS

Pretty sure that’s all BS
It was clearly all over Sports Talk Radio the week before the SEC tournament started, that Vegas had Tennessee the favorite to win the tournament. And there were several Publications, sports analyst, and probably even people like you that predicted Tennessee would win the Southeastern Conference regular-season.

lol how do u overachieve in a REGULAR season and underachieve in the Tourney. The Tourney is the season. Nothing else matters
Regular season is what determines whether or not you are in the tournament and where you are placed? So, does the regular season matter?

VN Store

Back