Last Goodbye

I know many fans and "fans" wanted this outcome.

To me, and many others, this feels like the last goodbye to Pat. Holly was the last link to her. It's the end of an era.

She had to do the impossible task of following her mentor and friend into a job that she never coveted. She did it because Pat asked her to, and she didn't want to let her down.

I'm not saying that a change wasn't needed. I just wish there had been a different outcome for Holly, and the program as a whole.

She gave over half of her life to this program. She deserves respect and a huge thank you for all she has done. She is a true LVFL!

You said this very well. I must admit I wanted her gone, and still when I saw it this afternoon it was kind of shock to the system. She was in an impossible place following Pat and has an admirable W/L record on the surface. What her ultimate undoing is the inability to maintain traditions and records which is partially on her and partially on a changing game where there are more talented ladies attending other schools. Not doing well in the SEC, SEC Tourney, a gift spot in this year's NCAA and her whoaful answers or demeanor at times sealed the deal (IMO). I don't think Holly is the coach for today's game. It has evolved - she has not. I wish her well in her future - I suspect she's going to have a decent retirement awaiting her and will likely find some sort of place at a foundation perhaps the Pat Summitt Foundation. I know that Holly has always been active with Komen and Breast Cancer awareness. Perhaps she can use her standing and her past to help those causes. Maybe she will wind up as an analyst, I don't know.

I caution all fans to be patient, the next hire may not be flashy or highly successful immediately. And remember folks, Pat is gone; there will never be another - we are lucky to have had the privilege of watching her coach and basically put women's basketball on the map. Sit back, relax and see what happens. Meanwhile, be kind to one another - some of the behavior on these posts today are terrible. You are better than that!

Holly did her best, but she simply wasn't up to the task.

But I think we're all being a bit melodramatic if we think that Holly was "the last link to Pat." Does anyone believe that the next coach won't welcome every former Lady Vol back to visit any time they like? He/she would have to be INSANE to turn away the most profound "links to Pat" whom, I'm certain, will continue to come back regularly to bond with their younger sisters.

Pat's legacy will never, ever die, and there will always be pieces of her in and around the program. You can count on that.
So everyone, chins up! Everything's going to be just fine.
Amen. Everyone's entitled to their own nostalgia but who the heck annointed Holly Warlick the last link to Pat? In what way? There are numerous links to Pat everywhere, the existence of the program is a link to Pat.

I never worry about Pat's legacy ending, not as long as a Lady Vol bounces a basketball. But I've sure as hell worried about it getting battered and bruised the last few years. To me, sadly, parting with Holly doesn't end the legacy, it protects it.

To me, and many others, this feels like the last goodbye to Pat. Holly was the last link to her. It's the end of an era.

She had to do the impossible task of following her mentor and friend into a job that she never coveted. She did it because Pat asked her to, and she didn't want to let her down.

I'm not saying that a change wasn't needed. I just wish there had been a different outcome for Holly, and the program as a whole.

She gave over half of her life to this program. She deserves respect and a huge thank you for all she has done. She is a true LVFL!

Joe Paterno gave his adult life to (The State Penn)
Woody Hayes gave his adult life to (TOSU). The Ohio State University
When getting fired, Time In Service should be considered but should not be the main factor

I realize that I shouldn't respond to you, but alas....you're ignorant.

Before you reply with more nonsense, I thought she should be let go. If you think it was about money to Holly then I don't know what to tell you.

It's always about the money no matter what job...

I would like to comment on on the rational of some of the posts on this thread. It is a general response and not necessarily directed at Holly or her situation at Tenn.

I have always had a problem with people who felt that an organization owed something to a coach or player or any other position for that matter. I am referring to the idea that something is owed to a person for their long term commitment to what ever program the work for.

What is an important distinction is if that individual gave far beyond the return they got via salary. This sort of gratitude would apply to all people who volunteer their time. Or even those that work for less than they could get elsewhere. In those sort of scenario's it is appropriate to thank the individual for their contribution. If, however, they would never get the same sort of salary anywhere else it is they who should thank you.

Now I will make a direct statement in respect to the situation at Tenn. Where in the real world would Holly ever have gotten the salary she was paid here? She was over paid in respect to her value. She only got the job because Pat recommended her. She is a good assistant coach who was elevated to a level beyond her competence. The " Peter Principle " in action. Tenn owes her nothing. In fact she should thank Tenn for her time as a head coach. There are thousands of coaches who would be greatfull to have even been in her situation.

To a assistant who refuses a head coaching position at another school and stays with the school that is deserving of gratitude because they are making some sort of sacrifice. This is not the case here. She should be grateful they didn't replace her earlier. I was never a fan of good ole boy/girl systems which was the situation in play behind her employment.

That said - there is no reason to kick her when she is down. However that does not apply to speaking the truth about the situation as it was.

I respect her as a Vol, but her reputation will be forever tarnished for putting her own interests above our school. She should have stepped down a year ago. That, coupled with her taking zero responsibly for her coaching. Thanks Holly and Happy Trails

Holly is a class act. However, I wish she had added to her status by stepping down voluntarily.
Yeah me too. I was surprised the announcement was so clearly a firing, thought it would be a negotiated "stepping down". Guess we should have seen it coming from her statement post game Saturday when she pretty much said she's make him fire her.

Maybe there is some backstory as implied above that made her dig her heels in. But could she possibly have thought it was a good idea for her to continue to coach this team? Surely not.

Yeah me too. I was surprised the announcement was so clearly a firing, thought it would be a negotiated "stepping down". Guess we should have seen it coming from her statement post game Saturday when she pretty much said she's make him fire her.

Maybe there is some backstory as implied above that made her dig her heels in. But could she possibly have thought it was a good idea for her to continue to coach this team? Surely not.

Me too.

$700,000 is the backstory. Phil agreed to write she was fired without cause, because, then she gets $700,000 more than if she resigned. It was a business decision on her part and a kind act on his part.

Reactions: glv98
$700,000 is the backstory. Phil agreed to write she was fired without cause, because, then she gets $700,000 more than if she resigned. It was a business decision on her part and a kind act on his part.
Wait though, how does that make Holly the picture of grace if we only knew the story as implied above? Makes her the picture of smarts and the picture of financial security, but doesn't sound like she was enduring gracefully. Sounds like PF was adding to her golden parachute. I'm confused.

Nope. I'm not gonna wax poetic about Holly and she is certainly not some last link to Summitt and her legacy. This is not an end of an era, it's a happy beginning to hopefully building back up what Summitt built. Yeah, sure Warlick spent decades at UT, great she "bleeds" orange or whatever, but she wasn't head coach material, a lot of assistants aren't, that's not an insult. Holly should have been gone after about 5 years, so I'm glad she's gone now.

Wait though, how does that make Holly the picture of grace if we only knew the story as implied above? Makes her the picture of smarts and the picture of financial security, but doesn't sound like she was enduring gracefully. Sounds like PF was adding to her golden parachute. I'm confused.

If she was the picture of grace, she would have resigned a few years ago after seeing she didn't have what it takes to lead this legendary program! If Fulmer had not fired her, she would have stayed on and continued her mediocre dismantling of the program.

I agree with many who thought that Holly has not kept the program at an elite level. While she appears to recruit well, her players under achieve, and the culture under her seemed to be moving to a losing mindset and it was time for her to leave. But I hope that people will keep in mind her contributions to UT. She was a great player for Pat, and a trusted assistant. Successfully following a coaching legend is almost impossible, and nearly every coach fails at this. We should thank her for her service and wish her well, and then support the new coach whoever that may be.

VN Store

Back