Larry Seivers, Bobby Majors and Al Wilson on '20 College Football Hall of Fame ballot

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
There are 76 players on the ballot, including these three former Vols. The class will be announced in January.

Al Wilson, Tennessee-Linebacker-1998 consensus First Team All-American who led the Vols to the inaugural BCS national title in 1998…Helped Tennessee to four postseason berths and four AP top 10 finishes…Two-time All-SEC performer led Vols to consecutive SEC titles (1997, 1998) and only lost three conference games in career.

Larry Seivers, Tennessee-Wide Receiver-Two-time consensus First Team All-American in 1975 and 1976…Two-time First Team All-SEC selection…Currently ranks sixth in Tennessee history in career reception yardage (1,924) and seventh in career receptions (117).

Bobby Majors, Tennessee-Defensive Back-1971 unanimous First Team All-American who led Vols to wins in 1971 Sugar Bowl and 1972 Liberty Bowl… Two-time First Team All-SEC selections still holds conference and school record with 10 INTs in 1971…Set Tennessee records for career punt returns (117) and career punt return yardage (1,163).

Three VFLs on NFF College Football Hall of Fame Ballot

Donnan's record at Marshall was pretty darn good.

...and no, I wouldn't invest with Jim Donnan either. Lol

Donnan won 1 natty in 6 years at Marshall. That by itself isnt HOF caliber. He followed that up by being mediocre at one of the easiest jobs in America.

If you think Donnan is a HOF'er, I have some beachfront property to sell you (if Donnan hasnt sold it first)...

Reactions: lynnh
Donnan won 1 natty in 6 years at Marshall. That by itself isnt HOF caliber. He followed that up by being mediocre at one of the easiest jobs in America.

If you think Donnan is a HOF'er, I have some beachfront property to sell you (if Donnan hasnt sold it first)...
so much wrong with that.

1 title and 3 or 4 championship game appearances. Marshall was the standard in 1AA. And it's laughable to call UGA an easy job after Ray Goff destroyed the program and Tennessee and Florida were raiding the state and in the top 5 every year. Getting to 8 or 9 wins a year as quickly as he did was pretty solid. He just didn't play the political game very well.

so much wrong with that.

1 title and 3 or 4 championship game appearances. Marshall was the standard in 1AA. And it's laughable to call UGA an easy job after Ray Goff destroyed the program and Tennessee and Florida were raiding the state and in the top 5 every year. Getting to 8 or 9 wins a year as quickly as he did was pretty solid. He just didn't play the political game very well.

I'm not saying Donnan is a bad coach. He belongs in the Hall of Good or Hall of Very Good.

Georgia is quite possibly the easiest SEC job due to recruiting base. In the last 55 years, they have had 1 coach F it up and even Goff won 57.5% of his games. Ray Goff destroyed the program so bad he left Donnan Robert Edwards, Hines Ward, Champ Bailey, etc.

What did Donnan in more than going 1-9 to UT and UF was losing 10 other games to teams not coached by Fulmer/Spurrier in those 5 years and that Donnan's best season came while coaching mostly Goff recruits in Y2 with a slow downward trend after that.

Forget Donnan, lets talk about the 3 Vol greats. All are worthy and I think all will get in eventually but I'd like to see Bobby Majors get in this year. All American, great Safety and kick returner. He, Conrad Graham (CB) and the Vol defense beat Penn State with Franco Harris and Lyndell Mitchell together. Majors killed them that day on kick returns.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Forget Donnan, lets talk about the 3 Vol greats. All are worthy and I think all will get in eventually but I'd like to see Bobby Majors get in this year. All American, great Safety and kick returner. He, Conrad Graham (CB) and the Vol defense beat Penn State with Franco Harris and Lyndell Mitchell together. Majors killed them that day on kick returns.

Vols won that one 31-11 (it was 31-3 before Vols gave up an oh by the way TD in 4th Q) and if i'm not mistaken al 4 TDs by Vols that day were either scored on or set up by a kick/punt or interception return. Vols stopped Penn State's vaunted running game down and then had a feast on Huffnagel's passing. Bobby Majors should be in CFB HOF on the kick returns he made just in that game.

Still remember how Conrad Graham ran away from Franco Harris on the intercepted pitch in 1st quarter for a 76 yd TD. The rout was on after that.

VN Store

Back