Lane Kiffin (and other SEC coaches) on players faking injuries

I read this the other day and thought it might be of interest. Kiffin's interview responses are at the end of the article. I wish we knew when the interview was conducted, but the article was just posted this week. Original article was on UGA Wire, but it was picked up by Yahoo!.

SEC coaches talk players faking injuries to slow tempo

As to these first two.... They are a pure as newly driven snow. They may not teach it, they may not call for it, BUT their players do it as do most/all other teams have players doing it.
As to Kif - - He is right, the way to stop it is sitting out plays or fines at the SEC level. Now we know Bama would hardly ever be fined. They are angels and do no wrong. So fines would be too subjective. Won't work. Sitting out some number of plays would work. Some of us have suggested earlier this week sitting out the series in which the "injury" accrued was a good penalty. Now that might just be one play. Not enough "pay". I like what Kif suggest "some number of plays" is a better "fine". The only thing I would do is define it to the number of plays determined by the player (be offensive or defensive). I will just throw out a number, as 15??? By the way Kif did not say his team does not do it. Just that he thinks it should be stopped.

Not sure I like the idea of having to sit out a specified number of plays. Sometimes players just get the wind knocked out of them and they're fine a minute later. Cramps can be a similar thing. As our luck will have it, we'll be the first team to have the new rule work against us.

This is just a hard thing to regulate, cause when a player says he's injured, you pretty much have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, it is most certainly being abused by some.

:rolleyes:

OMG Tennessee got a first down... everybody...
OGC.a20e7653039f3516ba255a1320c5ca48

As to these first two.... They are a pure as newly driven snow. They may not teach it, they may not call for it, BUT their players do it as do most/all other teams have players doing it.
As to Kif - - He is right, the way to stop it is sitting out plays or fines at the SEC level. Now we know Bama would hardly ever be fined. They are angels and do no wrong. So fines would be too subjective. Won't work. Sitting out some number of plays would work. Some of us have suggested earlier this week sitting out the series in which the "injury" accrued was a good penalty. Now that might just be one play. Not enough "pay". I like what Kif suggest "some number of plays" is a better "fine". The only thing I would do is define it to the number of plays determined by the player (be offensive or defensive). I will just throw out a number, as 15??? By the way Kif did not say his team does not do it. Just that he thinks it should be stopped.
I think requiring the player to sit out a set number of plays would be too hard to keep track of. I favor a player claiming an injury should sit out the remainder of the offensive team's possession.

They should have to sit out the rest of the quarter before going back in. And Lane Kiffin was full of BS when he was here, and the article proves he still is!

Out for the rest of the quarter. The only easily enforceable answer.

Can build penalty boxes in all stadiums for it, lol. Can even put a medical tent in the box for examining and treating those who really were hurt.

Gate only goes one way. No one gets back out until the quarter ends.

Maybe the player should be out for the rest of the series for the first injury timeout, and if the same player causes an injury timeout for a 2nd time, they are out for the game, unless the team agrees to be charges a timeout?

This article shows much much a piece of crap Lane is. He’s the biggest liar ever!!
This needs some resolution. If a person is hurt they certainly should sit out 2-3 plays

Watching OM LSU and miss still up to cheating. Hands to face not called. When will these sec tefs start calling an equal game instead of favoring the higher rank team?

Not sure I like the idea of having to sit out a specified number of plays. Sometimes players just get the wind knocked out of them and they're fine a minute later. Cramps can be a similar thing. As our luck will have it, we'll be the first team to have the new rule work against us.

This is just a hard thing to regulate, cause when a player says he's injured, you pretty much have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that, it is most certainly being abused by some.

:rolleyes:

If you think cramps are a similar thing, you have never experienced them. Once a cramp starts, it takes at least a couple of minutes for it to go away. If the player sits out one play and he is back? That is faking. Pure and simple. There is no magic salve or patch the trainer slaps on your cramping muscle that stops it and allows you to return in 30 seconds.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
If you think cramps are a similar thing, you have never experienced them. Once a cramp starts, it takes at least a couple of minutes for it to go away. If the player sits out one play and he is back? That is faking. Pure and simple. There is no magic salve or patch the trainer slaps on your cramping muscle that stops it and allows you to return in 30 seconds.
Fair enough. That has not been my experience with cramps,which is why I said they CAN be a similar thing, but I'll take your word for it. I have had the wind knocked out of me- felt like I was dying for about a minute and then was ok.

My point is that this rule could cut both ways, and I'm not sure what an appropriate "penalty" should be for getting injured, because that is what is happening with these proposals.

There was another post that showed that the number of injuries to both teams was not as lop-sided as we thought. And a Tennessee player had the most obvious flop during the game as well.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
They should have to sit out the rest of the quarter before going back in. And Lane Kiffin was full of BS when he was here, and the article proves he still is!

Capt, your suggestion if implemented would be the most effective means of stopping this physiological lying. I'd like to further propose, two medical pros from each school's state examine the player and determine if the injury is real or faked. In the event, one is a homer and given to making a false diagnosis, a third one from out of town examine and render a diagnosis. Now, I don't know if or how the logistics of this would work. I just want it to be as fair as possible, and if faked the penalty be as harsh as possible. The docs get to attend games free, including transportation and lodging costs shared by the schools.

The Kif, much as we may despise the guy, he's the only one who suggested a solution. If you ask me, Saban and Jimbo are just lip-flapping political correctness and nothing more. I'd really like to see your suggest put into effect. It would doubtlessly end the physiological fakery once and for all.

4 plays seems right to me. One play is not enough, and a series is indefinite, as is a possession. You have to sit out a play if your helmet comes off. This should be no different.

Listened to Kiffin on espn radio yesterday morning. He was complimentary to Tennessee, the atmosphere, Neyland, etc. He said the golf ball was going to be auctioned for charity.
In retrospect, it was a little bit funny hearing them talk about “the crazy night in Knoxville” a bit more.

I think requiring the player to sit out a set number of plays would be too hard to keep track of. I favor a player claiming an injury should sit out the remainder of the offensive team's possession.

But if it just 1-2 plays it would not have much of an impact on most situations. You could have a penalty pin like hockey and someone to control it. What I meant by "number of plays" was the number plays for an offensive player would be offensive plays and so on. Not just game plays.

1st injury sit the possesion
2nd injury sit the half
3rd if your hurt that much might need your helmet taken for your safety til next week

VN Store

Back