Lady Vols vs Murray State Gamethread

CW has a lot of practice to do on Saturday. We're a good 25th ranked team I guess.
TN wins by 21 points but it's by far another ugly win. 98-77 for the win.

Reactions: feathersax
I watched again tonight. This team is so hard to get excited about. Stupid turnovers drive me crazy. This team will get knocked out of the tourny quickly if they dont value the ball more. And they will get steam rolled by much better coached teams. Love our girls but they still lack discipline.

I watched again tonight. This team is so hard to get excited about. Stupid turnovers drive me crazy. This team will get knocked out of the tourny quickly if they dont value the ball more. And they will get steam rolled by much better coached teams. Love our girls but they still lack discipline.
Yes, typical Lady Vols under Holly. With top 5 talent we will play top 15 ball.

"... much better coached teams" is the key phrase in your excellent post. I really do not understand why Fulmer has not fired Holly! She has become an embarrassment to UT much like Botch Jones!

What not to like about the game 23 turnovers 17 committed by the starting players. Murray State gets 23 foul shots a lot of unnecessary fouling putting teams on the foul like this will kill you. We give SEC teams or even Belmont 23 foul shots were probably gonna lose. The good rebounded the ball well and shot over 50 percent. Freshmen off the bench played their best game of the year as a group. All were very efficient 14 of 22 from the field Massengill 8 assist and only 2 turnovers in 21 minutes. She also played some very solid defense only player that did. Evina after playing very well has slipped back into some bad habits from last season. Terrible high risk passes some not even playable by anyone over everyones head. She ended up with 1 assist and 5 turnovers in 24 minutes. MeMe some wild defense and 4 turnovers. Two players were gonna have to depend on played really terrible games tonight hopefully they bounce back Sunday Belmont far better team than Murray State.

I think every one of those fast break lobs resulted in turnovers except for one and it took a great play to keep that from being a turnover. At least it seemed so. I am a positive fan but this was all about making poor decisions with the ball. I am concerned that they are over a third into the season and still trying to force plays that are not there. Cupcake city is over. Belmont has a good team then the SEC season starts. This team should be much better than what they are showing. It isn't all coaching before the Nega's start trolling. Coaches are not making the poor decisions with the ball.

Turnovers and bad team defense is going to get us beat. I do like Collins and the play of Massengill, but Zay and Rae are too out of control most of the time.

I listened to Holly she got it right stop jumping and reaching for the ball and get down in a stance and guard without fouling. She also talked about the turnovers basically what most on here have said bad decisions. I can understand the desire for the easy basket, but you must have a better opportunity than some of the plays we tried last night. Those were just wasted possessions. I think this team listens and wants to be a great team. They seem eager to get better. Rennia totally gets it and she was much more active last night. The best advice is to play within yourself don't take unnecessary chances with the ball and work for the best shot possible. Defense guard without fouling because you have to 23 fouls shots is a loss when the team has talent. Defense try to keep your position in front of the ball and player. Our post players were trying to deny outside the basket and you should try to deny inside the basket because even if they make the catch they still have to shoot over you. When you guard outside and they make the catch uncontested layup. We were doing way to much guarding outside the basket and catches were resulting in uncontested layups.
If we ever put it together gonna be the best team we've had and several years. That may not happen this season because defense has to improve dramatically. I like where we are offensively except for some of the bad decisions.

Reactions: stllvf
Rae has the ability , high jump state Nev champ, be become a great offensive rebounder as she adjusts to the college game.

What's her name Westbrook or WestRich..She needs to keep her game high, not scoring 30 today tomorrow she scores zero point with a small team. Doing that will never get her respect from big teams.

What's her name Westbrook or WestRich..She needs to keep her game high, not scoring 30 today tomorrow she scores zero point with a small team. Doing that will never get her respect from big teams.

In this group, a different star will emerge each night.
And another will be allowed to disappear.

I will give players nights off, but off nights I have to look closer at. It is up to me as a coach to see if I can help a player breakthrough on that off night, before letting them declare that is going to be SO.

Reactions: sisaq
Watched the game and was pleased in some areas and not so much in others. The ball movement still seems better to me against the zone. Even against weaker opponents the ball moved slowly last year and no one cut into the gaps. This year that isn’t the case Re, Rae, Zay, Mimi, E, and Meme all shoot to gaps in the zone. For the most part try hit that elbow or freethrow line jumper. Now the post entry passes and fast break passes need definite work.

I feel like when E is off her game she presses instead of letting the game come to her. That is where her maturity has a ways to go. I wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t play against Belmont because she looks a bit hobbled. Now, I would also not be surprised if she played in the last tuneup before SEC conference to prepare for that Auburn press and get her shot back a bit.

Just like other posters I wondered about how some of these games got scheduled.

It’s a pretty neat story how this game came about. CHW scheduled this game as a favor to the coach to help her build her program and a paid game because their locker room was in desperate need of repairs and upgrades. This game allowed them a chunk of money towards that goal but also helped them with recruiting. CHW May do some things wrong (sometimes it feels like she does more than SOME things wrong) but this was a classy move. One that CPS was known for doing to help other programs grow their women’s basketball teams.

I just watched the game on the ESPN replay. Honestly, there is not that much to be taken away from this game. It was a glorified scrimmage game and the LVs were slow to get into any kind of playing form. The slept walked through the first 7 to 8 minutes and gradually got into the game. It was a good game for the Freshman to find a bit of a shooting groove. Now the question is whether they can recreate this performance against stronger comp. My big concern from this game is that Evina once again has some kind of knee problem. Last year, she battled something, perhaps tendonitis, for the last half of the season and it clearly impeded her. I hope this season is not a repeat of that injury scenario, particularly as bright as she has started the season.

In this group, a different star will emerge each night.
And another will be allowed to disappear.

I will give players nights off, but off nights I have to look closer at. It is up to me as a coach to see if I can help a player breakthrough on that off night, before letting them declare that is going to be SO.

True

VN Store

Back