Lady Vols vs. Auburn Game Thread

For those of you saying the Lady Vols should have won by a larger margin, I can only suggest that you haven't looked at Auburn's record, and, more specifically, their stats in their games. Massey, who is usually fairly accurate, had the Lady Vols as a three point favorite.
While there is no doubt that the Lady Vols could have done better, especially by cutting down on the unforced turnovers, a nine point win on Auburn's home floor, against a gritty Auburn team is nothing to be ashamed of! At least, not in my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:
Auburn was a good test and Tennessee kept their poise and won a very good low scoring game. Yes there were a few turnovers and a few freshman mistakes, but we held on. I have to give Holly and the staff credit, so far, they have done a very good job with a very young team.

Good lord....if they would stop throwing the ball away 30 times a game we could win big time.

Lady Vols held Auburn to 2nd lowest scoring, 69 points. Only Iowa State held Auburn to fewer, 64 points. LVs should have held them to 64 points if not for turnovers.

I hope Baylor keeps this up. Kim Mulkey may be my favorite women's coach unless we have to play her.

I know you either love her or hate her, but I love her. That video of her going nuts and ripping her jacket off after that offensive foul call in the NCAA tournament is iconic haha.

And you have to admit, she can coach. Almost 600 wins and not even 100 losses yet. Hope they stick it to the Huskies.

I did not follow the game but looked at the stats.Tennessee 23 turnovers and Auburn 11. Auburn took 70 shots, but shot poorly.

Stating the obvious, but if we could cut the turnovers in half and convert more baskets, the reserves might get to play more.

I know you either love her or hate her, but I love her. That video of her going nuts and ripping her jacket off after that offensive foul call in the NCAA tournament is iconic haha.

And you have to admit, she can coach. Almost 600 wins and not even 100 losses yet. Hope they stick it to the Huskies.
Hopefully she got better physically and is able to exercise. It was weird seeing her at the beginning of the season sitting on a stool. Not sure how she got injured.

Hopefully she got better physically and is able to exercise. It was weird seeing her at the beginning of the season sitting on a stool. Not sure how she got injured.

She said in an interview that she had a very serious back surgery so she wasn’t allowed to squat like she usually does and had to use the stool. She was going crazy not being able to exercise.

Auburn was a good test and Tennessee kept their poise and won a very good low scoring game. Yes there were a few turnovers and a few freshman mistakes, but we held on. I have to give Holly and the staff credit, so far, they have done a very good job with a very young team. Jackson has been outrageously good and is playing like an All American.

She keeps it up ,,and we may be talking about a future in the W

Reactions: teacherdean
I did not follow the game but looked at the stats.Tennessee 23 turnovers and Auburn 11. Auburn took 70 shots, but shot poorly.

Stating the obvious, but if we could cut the turnovers in half and convert more baskets, the reserves might get to play more.
We didn't actually have as many turnovers as was called. The refs were confused on what a travel was in this game. One Auburn guard ran across the lane with the ball like a half back in football and they just stood and watched. There were some real head scratchers by the refs in this game but I knew there would be. It must drive coaches crazy with such poor officiating.

For those of you saying the Lady Vols should have won by a larger margin, I can only suggest that you haven't looked at Auburn's record, and, more specifically, their stats in their games. Massey, who is usually fairly accurate, had the Lady Vols as a three point favorite.
While there is no doubt tha the Lady Vols could have done better, especially by cutting down on the unforced turnovers, a nine point win on Auburn's home floor, against a gritty Auburn team is nothing to be ashamed of! At least, not in my opinion.

Jim
Totally agree! Have ya'll been watching the last few seasons? A solid SEC road win over a decent team is nothing to sneeze at. I'm surprised and delighted.

Guys we had 18 assists on 27 made baskets. As a result we shot 54% overall and 47% of 3s. Just take that in! This was the best offensive game we've had in a minute or so IMO. There was cutting, good court vision passing, mid range jumpers, and very strong transition scoring. I could go on and on.

Of course, the LVs being who they've become, there was ample boneheadedness, especially in the last few possesions, paultry free throw shooting, and of course the plaque of turnovers. But the fact we could overcome 23 t.o.s with enough good scoring to win is encouraging. Imagine if we could cut just a few of them out?

I'm also encouraged regarding our starting guards. This was a way more impressive 30 pt game for Jackson than the previous one to me. She was uncharacteristically controlled, not forcing anything, scoring many different ways. Before I thought she just had one of those lights out, can't miss games; while tonight she had a solid, poised, senior leaderly high-scoring game. Westbrook continues to improve, making some spectacular passes but still some duck-in-the-second-row ones.

The young players are noticeably young but still were able to contribute enough to get the win. Our post play by committee is a work in progress for sure and must continue to improve.

Auburn looked pretty solid to me, especially Thompson. Nice adjustment on her in the second half, credit coaching staff. Still, she's a tough young player and such nice makeup! Very good start to the SEC season for the LVs.

Last edited:
Great win for Lady Vols and good coaching. I believe the only real take-away was the lack of contribution from the bench.

Nice game tonight, sure there were a lot of things the Lady Vol's could have done better like less turnovers. Auburn is a very pesky team. I have a lot of faith in this Tennessee team, and they will be much better next year. I believe we could win all our games till the Notre Dame game.

tonight i was seen us make more lazy plays ordinary teams makes rather than us, Theirs something not being coached.
o
I was there and the vast majority of turnovers related to passing were not coaching related. At least not since middle school coaching.... really inexplicable.... usually fearing pressure they hurried passes when it was not necessary. As these stacked up it was like the pressure got worse and they passed worse. This did not include the turnovers passing into the post.... most of those were good enough passes but the receiver just muffed them.... a couple were forced into too tight windows and bad ideas, but most were ok...
o
Officiating was bad both ways, but I think we had a much higher percentage of totally brain dead calls... the skinny lady was really bad, especially making calls way far away from her position and certainly did not understand a defensive player has a right to their postion and the right to have their arms extended directly above their frame.... they jumped into us and got way too many block calls.. but the worst was the no calls when they obviously went over our ladies backs....

Down here to attend my youngest grandsons birthday party and took in the game.... abundant free parking in spitting distance of the entrance was a pleasant surprise...

The turnovers will kill us against better teams. Holly’s teams are known to commit a lot of turnovers. I don’t see that improving. Nice win but they could have won by 20

Reactions: Ladyvol777
Well, in my mind all turnovers can be traced back to coaching.... not to bust on the staff, but they have total control of what team practices and prepares for play....

The product on the floor is totally a byproduct of the coaching..... that is just a fact....

tho I am sure people will disagree

Hopefully we don't hear anymore poster say that MeMe shouldn't get the minutes she gets. Hopefully Davis has found her game she certainly did last night and she was a dominant player. Thanks to Zaay Green she was more under control and didn't take a lot of wild shots. We committed 23 turnovers but were still able to find a way to win in a very tough game. The Auburn press is tough and we did a decent job and shooting the ball was sensational last night.
Finally I am beginning to dislike the Auburn coach who said her team did not show Tennessee the real Auburn last night. Maybe they just got beat by the real Tennessee and maybe Tennessee is the better team could that be a part of it.

Is it just me, or is anyone else disgusted with our proud Tennessee Lady Vols disrespecting the uniform by sticking their shorts under their underwear? Pat would have never allowed this. It is nasty looking. If they want shorter shorts, shorten them the professional way. This is very degrading and I can’t believe that Holly doesn’t demand that our players show more respect to the great Tennessee program.

Just finished rewatching the game and JMO a lot of bad and suspicious calls on a few of those turnovers especially in the first half. Some really weak foul calls on Tennessee and that call on the KK layup of walking was downright terrible. Some turnovers continue to be an inability to catch the ball and some bad decisions on passes.

VN Store

Back