Rickster

VFL
GAMEDAY TIMES & BROADCAST INFO

TENNESSEE

Roster Schedule Game Notes (PDF) Media Guide

AUBURN

Roster Schedule Game Notes

RECENT MEETINGS
  • Rennia Davis knocked down a three-point shot with .5 seconds remaining to give No. 12 Tennessee a 64-61 victory over Auburn on March 1, 2018, at Bridgestone Arena and advance the Lady Vols to the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament.
  • Jaime Nared led UT in scoring, hitting 17 before a hard fall on a layup attempt eventually sidelined her. Mercedes Russell had 12 points and 15 rebounds to record her 45th career double-double, tying Candace Parker for the second most career double-doubles in Tennessee history behind only Chamique Holdsclaw.
  • Davis and Meme Jackson also scored in double figures for UT (24-6) with 16 and 10, respectively. Auburn (14-15) was led in scoring by Janiah McKay with 24. Daisa Alexander added 16 for the Tigers.
  • In two other recent games: UT also beat AU in Knoxville last year, 70-59, on Jan. 4, in UT's first SEC home game. The last time these programs met at Auburn, the Tigers scored 33 points off 22 UT turnovers to claim a 79-61 victory.

Last edited:
It's difficult to get a feel for how good Auburn is based on whom they have played to date. Their signature wins appear to be North Carolina and Oklahoma neither of whom have been overwhelming so far. They do appear to have an effective press and we are not the greatest passing team. This game will test our guard play. Has anyone seen them play and have input on what to expect?

Reactions: RollerVol
It's difficult to get a feel for how good Auburn is based on whom they have played to date. Their signature wins appear to be North Carolina and Oklahoma neither of whom have been overwhelming so far. They do appear to have an effective press and we are not the greatest passing team. This game will test our guard play. Has anyone seen them play and have input on what to expect?

I only expect to see a better class of athlete in this game.
We will win

We should not struggle with Auburn.... Auburn, Kentucky and Mississippi State have a combined ZERO McDonalds High School Americans... we have SIX on our roster.... you would think on talent alone we should prevail..... hope so

Reactions: sisaq
We should not struggle with Auburn.... Auburn, Kentucky and Mississippi State have a combined ZERO McDonalds High School Americans... we have SIX on our roster.... you would think on talent alone we should prevail..... hope so
Keywords: HIGH SCHOOL All-Americans!

I really wish people would stop putting so much stock into HIGH SCHOOL accolades when it comes to College Basketball. That sh*t doesn’t matter anymore once you’re in College.

I really wish people would stop putting so much stock into HIGH SCHOOL accolades when it comes to College Basketball. That sh*t doesn’t matter anymore once you’re in College.
Thanks for pointing this out. A good example is KK - how the heck was she make the MC Donald's AA team?

Good luck with that. Are you new since Holly took over? if your not, u shouldn't be calculating how many McDonalds high school other have with Vols because it comes down to who's coachin.

Reactions: mcannon1 and olddog
We have 6 All Americans and those teams have 0 but the equalizer is we have HW. Games are toss ups

giphy.gif

Go back to your pond Ducky.

This game is going to be a tossup it is all about bringing your A game in this one hopefully that is us. They are forcing 22 turnovers a game this season we have to come in and commit a lot lower total than that. We also can't foul putting them on the line is not a plan for winning. They are better than last season when we won on a last second shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickster
the first SEC game, away is a good test. I expect they will arrive with energy which has been one difficulty of away games in the past.

Should we not put "so much" stock in this fact? Perhaps.... sometimes kids come to college and do not develop....

But is this an indicator that is noteworthy? Absolutely! When you have the best coming from high school and they get to campus.... and the number is 6 to zero in terms of accolades achieved at previous level... one would think that there is - at the very least - a relative advantage there....

Reactions: mcannon1
Well, if one of Holly's strengths is her recruiting acumen (which it is), then you really can't discount the importance of signing top ranked HS All-Americans. I think it is true that a lot of good players are overlooked or under valued in these rankings and players do develop differently in college. By the end of one's college career, a 30th ranked player could be better than someone ranked 5th in her cohort. Nonetheless, when you sign a top ranked player you are getting (with rare exception I suppose), a quality player.

We need more hustle and intensity. A smaller and slower Belmont team got too many rebounds and more 50/50 balls than they should have. We had the talent. They had the desire. This won't cut it against good teams.

Thanks for pointing this out. A good example is KK - how the heck was she make the MC Donald's AA team?

I don't know if it is the leg injury or that she is just way over rated. She sure didn't rebound well in the last 2 games against smaller opponents. She is not a great shot maker (unless there is a hidden talent somewhere), not a good free throw shooter and misses too many layups in traffic. Maybe she will develop or her leg will heal, but Collins seems to be much more productive with shot making and rebounding.

I don't know if it is the leg injury or that she is just way over rated. She sure didn't rebound well in the last 2 games against smaller opponents. She is not a great shot maker (unless there is a hidden talent somewhere), not a good free throw shooter and misses too many layups in traffic. Maybe she will develop or her leg will heal, but Collins seems to be much more productive with shot making and rebounding.

To me right now her physical condition is not there it could be because of her bad knee.

This will be a little bit of a test, however, we are superior in talent but, more youthful. One advantage that will be big in this game, is the game experience our freshmen have had in our preseason games. This class of freshmen do not seem to be in fear. They have made mistakes but, the team as a whole do not seem as tournover prone as teams have been in the past. We still seem to play either up or down to our opponents' ability. We also need Davis to stay out of foul trouble, because we need both her defense and offense on the floor.

We are young so a lot of youthful errors may be an issue. That being said, I will not be surprised if we beat Auburn by double figures, or if we beat them by a lesser amount. With this team fans have to be patient.

VN Store

Back